PDA

View Full Version : Agenda Items for Elections Meeting

Benny Z
10/02/2006, 10:58 AM
Please post any items you would like added to the agenda for Saturday's meeting in this thread.

Obviously we will hold elections for the executive board.

I also think we need to discuss and determine how often the executive committee will meet.

Michelle L
10/02/2006, 11:52 AM
I'd like to discuss activities and outings, where we could go as a club, and how those outings might be funded.

hounddog01
10/02/2006, 12:06 PM
I think there should be an initial dues. This would be to get the club off the ground. if there are 30 members maybe $10.00 each. A small price to pay to have our own club!!

GreenBay1
10/02/2006, 12:06 PM
Good idea Michelle, I think that is on the books anyway but it shows you are on track.

GreenBay1
10/02/2006, 12:08 PM
That is something that will need to be discussed in full because of its impact on individuals. A fee to be (so to speak) is a touchy subject for some. Good thoughts are flowing in, we will have a lot to talk about Saturday. Great job everybody.

medic29
10/02/2006, 12:11 PM
I think the dues is a good idea; something reasonable like hounddog suggested. But it could offset some costs that may come up and/or allow the group to do something out of the oridinary once in a while. But, it is totally up to the majority of the group.

hounddog01
10/02/2006, 12:14 PM
I don't think it would be a fee, well maybe so. I just thought since this is a fledgling club it would be nice to start with some funds. This hobby is not cheap and anyone who can afford to start should have $10.00 to belong to a club that will give more than that in a short time. If making it manditory is a issue then we can make it voluntary. Maybe have levels of donations and get your name on a plack. I do not think this should be anual just a one time thing to get things started on the right foot.

medic29
10/02/2006, 12:17 PM
Maybe it shouldn't be considered "a fee to be" but rather like a donation to the group. Those that can, do; those that can't, don't. But no preasure either way. Hopefully, everyone can understand others situations and trust that each will do what they feel they can and what their conscience will allow.

But I agree, I don't think people should feel shunned or like an outsider just because they decided they could not afford to pay a "dues".

I think the mission of this group was to provide an avenue to help others in the hobby and/or encourage each other regardless.

Just my 2 cents.

GreenBay1
10/02/2006, 12:18 PM
I understand hounddog, I was just saying. It is a good idea, please don't think I was trying to shoot your idea down in any way. :)

hounddog01
10/02/2006, 12:20 PM
No, I was just explaining my point in a little more detail. I am very happy that this club has been started. I guess I get excited with some ideas.

Michelle L
10/02/2006, 12:46 PM
My suggestion is to collect donations from members once a group outing or activity is planned rather than collect regular dues. That way, if a member cannot attend that particular activity, their money isn't going towards funding something that they can't enjoy. Also, each activity won't always cost the same as the next.

Example....we decide to go to Shedd Aquarium for the day as a group. Ten people want to go. We decide to rent a van so that everyone can ride together, so we then divide the cost of the van and gas between those people who can attend.

If we collect dues from everyone who can give them, then we have to set up an account, etc., to keep those funds in until they are used. Then we get into who-knows-what regarding how the money is spent. Also, if we only collect funds once and not yearly, they won't last long when we start having regular activities.

brad23
10/02/2006, 01:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8262239#post8262239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michelle L
My suggestion is to collect donations from members once a group outing or activity is planned rather than collect regular dues. That way, if a member cannot attend that particular activity, their money isn't going towards funding something that they can't enjoy. Also, each activity won't always cost the same as the next.

Example....we decide to go to Shedd Aquarium for the day as a group. Ten people want to go. We decide to rent a van so that everyone can ride together, so we then divide the cost of the van and gas between those people who can attend.

If we collect dues from everyone who can give them, then we have to set up an account, etc., to keep those funds in until they are used. Then we get into who-knows-what regarding how the money is spent. Also, if we only collect funds once and not yearly, they won't last long when we start having regular activities.

I agree with this and we discussed this a little before, but I think we shouldn't get to far away from the thread subject and leave the debating for Saturday and list the ideas now.

Michelle L
10/02/2006, 01:15 PM
Good point.

hounddog01
10/02/2006, 02:23 PM
I just thought it would be a good idea for the club to start with some funds for Misc. There will be items like keeping the domain name, etc. I guess since I will not be able to attend the meeting I just put my suggestions here.

Michelle L
10/02/2006, 09:34 PM
We're sorry... :( ..... can't you call in sick for what it is you have going on?? :D

hubris007
10/02/2006, 10:11 PM
Perhaps it's absurd, but why not start a dues/ no dues thread, then? I'm all for them from day one. If not from day one, you'll never get them.

hounddog01
10/02/2006, 10:34 PM
I really wish I could call in sick. I am completing a project that I have been working on for over a year. This is the last trip to Atlanta, Ga for this project. I leave on Friday and return next Tuesday. I am happy this is over and can direct my attention to my Family and Hobby. This is one reason I am excited to see this new club start to take off.

Gluestick
10/04/2006, 09:28 AM
Group outings sound fun!
Michelle's idea for the money sounds good.

Michelle L
10/04/2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I think many of us are really looking forward to them.

I know this has been gone over before, but where is Diamond? I'm too lazy to Mapquest you. :)

Gluestick
10/04/2006, 07:14 PM
Diamond is right next to Coal City. We share a zip code.
It's right up 55 from you guys, about30-40 min if I'm driving ;)
The exit is Coal City/Kankakee, like one up from Dwight or something if you're going North.
Anyway, I hate driving north, and the CMAS club holds their meetings in Schaumberg, which is a couple hours from me. I like that you are all located in B/N area b/c my sister goes to ISU and it'll be nice to see her when I'm down there, too. Since I'm 45 min away or so, I don't suppose I would be able to host any meetings in the future, would I?

hounddog01
10/04/2006, 08:10 PM
I do not see why you could not host. I know many people have driven more than 45min.

Michelle L
10/04/2006, 08:58 PM
Well sure you could host. I know that personally, I wouldn't have any problem traveling 45 min. to a meeting.

It's nice to be hosting this, really, because now I can get all of these knowledgable people right in my living room and point to stuff and ask, "What do I do about that? Is that normal?" I understand things much better when I am discussing it in person rather than trying to read about it. I plan on picking these guy's brains about dosing and lighting. A meeting is a great way to discuss topics in person.

I'm thinking of making people wear name tags though...."Hi! My Online Name Is_____." (just kidding)

For some weird reason I was thinking that Diamond was down by Edwardsville. Don't ask me why! :confused:

Gluestick
10/05/2006, 02:37 PM
MichelleL, I think that having nametags with the online name is a really good idea!!!!
Or have your real name on the tag, and underneath it should say, AKA Gluestick!

brad23
10/05/2006, 02:48 PM
I don't want to use my online name it isn't cool enough.

If it was something like sexyman41 I could use it.

Gluestick
10/05/2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah, okay like Gluestick is any better! "Hey guys, I'm Valerie, ummm... you may know me as Gluestick. But you can call me glue for short."

GreenBay1
10/05/2006, 04:14 PM
I think at the first club meeting having a formal intro by everyone would be a good idea. Everybody in a room going one at a time saying their name and username. Just a thought.

GreenBay1
10/05/2006, 04:14 PM
Yes! I own page 2.

Michelle L
10/05/2006, 08:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8282896#post8282896 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23
I don't want to use my online name it isn't cool enough.

If it was something like sexyman41 I could use it.

:lol: :lol:

Benny Z
10/05/2006, 10:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8282806#post8282806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gluestick
Or have your real name on the tag, and underneath it should say, AKA Gluestick!

what if we don't want people calling us "gluestick" all night?

:p

RobynT
10/05/2006, 11:30 PM
I was at the CIMA meeting last month at Henry's. I had never attended a meeting prior to that and found it really awkward to try and introduce myself and remember those I met and their names. I know some people think name tags are kinda "dorky" but it really would help to get to know people and their names (both real and their user name here). I went away from the meeting feeling like I wished it was more structured and focused. I love socializing, don't get me wrong. I know I wasn't the only "newbie" there that felt at a loss as to how to figure out who everyone was. It was great being part of a group that focused on our like interest in SW. I'm at a loss with not one other person that I know personally that also loves this hobby. My husband is "tolerant" and occasionally will look in the tank. I'm really looking forward to being part of a group that shares the love of our salt worlds!

medic29
10/06/2006, 07:32 AM
I'm not going to be able to attend this meeting, but will in the future and I feel pretty much the same. Although, many may already know each other, being new to the group I won't know anybody. Plus to make matter worse, I'm horrible with names! So someone could come up and introduce themselves, walk away, then come back in a few minutes and I would be lucky to remember their name. Sorry, but that is just kind of how it works for me, LOL. I remember faces, but names??? So, some sort of name tag would be awesome. I don't know about the sticky "hello my name is" or maybe something more durable like a laminated name tag with our avatar, username, then our real name. Just a thought. People may not feel so funny wearing something like that. It could be on a necklace type of thing or have a clip on it, whatever.

But, I do think some sort of way to tell our names would be good, or I'm going to be asking everyone for a while. LOL

Benny Z
10/06/2006, 07:36 AM
i still don't want people calling me gluestick. :D hehehehehe

but seriously, i think nametags are a good idea. come on people...we are fish nerds already...a nametag ain't gonna kill ya! :D

medic29
10/06/2006, 07:46 AM
LOL

Gluestick
10/06/2006, 07:55 AM
Yay RobinT! Another girl reefer!

Gluestick
10/06/2006, 07:57 AM
And I vote YAY on the nametags! Anyone second? All opposed?

medic29
10/06/2006, 07:57 AM
What's wrong with being called Gluestick?? LOL

medic29
10/06/2006, 07:58 AM
I'll second it

Gluestick
10/06/2006, 08:14 AM
How about..... if you forget anyone's name, from now on just call them Gluestick!
medic29, do you have any pics of your rainfords? How do you like him? Hehehe, just saw your occupation. Are you a male nurse? Have you ever seen Meet the Parents? lol, my favorite movie!

medic29
10/06/2006, 08:28 AM
No...I don't have any pics of my rainford. He kind of hides, but does come out; he just isn't as visable as the SailFin tang and the Clown fish. Probably my favorite right now is the Diamond goby; he is just so cool! I'm going to try to take more pics of my tank this weekend and when I do I put them in my gallery.

Yep, I'm a male nurse and have also seen both movies Meet the Parents and Meet the Frockers, LOL. I'm also a paramedic. Reefing is a great stress reliever....as long as nothing goes wrong! LOL, then it creates all kinds of stress!

Gluestick
10/06/2006, 08:34 AM
"I have nipples, can you milk me, Focker?"

GreenBay1
10/06/2006, 08:56 AM
woh woh woh woh woh, keep it G ;)

RobynT
10/06/2006, 09:06 AM
I just wish I had a really cool name like Gluestick to put on my nametag! :wave:

Gluestick
10/06/2006, 09:13 AM
GreenBay1, haven't you seen Meet the Parents? It's just a quote from the movie

LegoZ81
10/06/2006, 09:17 AM
I like the id badge idea that would be much better than just sticky nametags...
i'm used to having to wear an id badge at work with my goofey mug on it so my name, screen name and my avatar would be perfectly fine with me.

Michelle L
10/06/2006, 12:07 PM
Maybe I'll just mess with all of you.

"Hi my user name is MichelleL. My name is Ava."

:D

GreenBay1
10/06/2006, 12:22 PM
I have seen the movies, I was joking around.

Gluestick
10/06/2006, 02:48 PM
Okay, good. Didn't want to offend anyone!