PDA

View Full Version : **REWARD** Your 2 litre pop bottles for some fresh Phytoplankton!!

Mr James
09/30/2006, 01:20 PM
If you give me your empty 2 litre pop bottles, I will give you some fresh phytoplankton or rotifers (rotifers are depndant on availability). I am going to start culturing my own phyo and roti's and need help with the containers. I have some, but need more before I start the culture. I'll keep your names if you give me some containers and reward you with some "better-than-off-the-shelf", home grown phytoplankton. Your LPS, softies and clams will love you forever if you give this to them. I am even going to do a phyto-drip, which I have read about lately.

I hope to start the cultures soon, but I cannot until I get a few more bottles. Trust me, there will be plenty!! I have grown both before and alweays had 4 - 6 bottles of fresh phyto in the fridge at all times. Plus I had 4 brewing.

Tell your friends and coworkers to save them. I NEED THE CAPS TOO!!! Containers MUST BE CLEAR. NO GREEN ones. Please!! Let me know.

wmfsoll2
09/30/2006, 06:38 PM
Are you talking about the plastic 2 Liter Bottles

I Will have some for you.

Let me know when i need to bring them to you.

Bill.

Mr James
10/01/2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, the plastic ones. I have a small collection now, but need more BEFORE I can start the cultures. Don't worry, I won't forget about you. The reason I say that is because I haven't started the cultures yet. I learned the hard way the last time to have a ready supply of plastic 2 litre pop bottles on hand, so that I don't have to run out and buy a bunch of $.99 pop bottles and dump the pop down the drain.

I only plan to raise a single cell phyto, most likely Nano. I want to collect them all now and start my cultures in a couple weeks. IF you think you want to donate some pop bottles to the cause and are willing to wait for the finished product, you won't be sorry. DT's pPhytoplankton is good, when you can get it and when it is still fresh. Most places don't know how to care for it. The Kent brand on the shelf isn't fresh because it's not refrigerated.

Maybe we could even have a small club meeting around this topic?!?

SueQ
10/01/2006, 10:35 AM
James-
I'll put some 2L sodas on my groc. list

Mr James
10/01/2006, 10:45 AM
Suzi, get your husband to have his students bring some in too if at all possible. Tell everyone. The sooner we get around 20 of them, the sooner I can start the culture.

space
10/09/2006, 12:52 PM
I'll even get the family to start saving them. I've got family in FW so I head over there from time to time.

Mr James
10/09/2006, 01:59 PM
Cool!! I need at least 6 more before I can start.

SueQ
10/09/2006, 03:41 PM
I'll have about 5 ready by the weekend:)

Mr James
10/09/2006, 06:58 PM
I'll order the stuff next weekend or the beginning of the following week. I can always sanitize bottles until I build my stock.

Bkndsdl
10/10/2006, 12:48 PM
Mr. James, I'm very interested, but I'm in Mobile......how can I accomodate? I'd be more than willing to meet you somewhere this week; I can be in Pcola in about 30 minutes from my work.

I am very interested in the process, too. Would you be willing to answer some questions on the phyto culture process?

BTW, I met you at the last meeting in Mobile (Andy449's place). I was the guy who traded SuziQ the yellow toadstool leather for the green pavona ( I think that's what it was).

Speaking of SuziQ - How's that yellow toadstool doing?

Mr James
10/10/2006, 06:54 PM
Hey Mike. I haven't started the cultures yet, but will within the next week or so. I have done it before and am willing to answer any questions. It's very easy, but does require good, sterile holding vessels. I may try the bag method (holding vessel is a bag) but am unsure as of yet. Someone just recently gave me a bunch of bags (sorry I forgot who it was) and I may try to utilize those. When they are ready, I could always meet you in P'cola. Lance (60cubed) has been ranting about a store over in your neck of the woods that I'd like to check out.

Bkndsdl
10/10/2006, 07:01 PM
I bet you got those bags from the meeting at Andy's......Brett (Dxtr) was handing a bunch of bags out.

Sounds good. Just let me know!

Mr James
10/10/2006, 07:04 PM
Yup, Brett gave them (probably to Griffin) and he passed them on to me. Or it could have been Suzi. My memory sucks!!

Bkndsdl
10/10/2006, 07:22 PM
....don't feel alone, mine does too. Do you think that has anything to do with the critters in our Avatars?

Mr James
10/10/2006, 07:41 PM
Probably. I need to update mine with the other critter.

SueQ
10/10/2006, 08:33 PM
Mike-
The toadstool is doing well! Thanks again for it!

Some culturing news on my front... I've been helping out another grad student here w/ his cultures. He's going to let me have some Isochrysis for helping him and he may order some Rhodomonas salina soon and will hopefully hook me up with some of that. Have your f/2 ready for that one! So, once I get that stuff established I'd also be willing to let some go.
Which brings up another thing. James, what are you going to use for media/ f/2?
Are you going to do the f/2 from Fl Aqua Farms or miracle grow or??

Mr James
10/10/2006, 10:02 PM
Yup to the f/2 from FAF, I have a big bottle of it ready to go. Hey, if you hooked me up with some of your Iso now,(only need a cup or two), we can get the ball rolling this weekend. I can still order some Nano. What are the requirements for Rhodo??

TheGriffin
10/10/2006, 10:06 PM
James!! So you stole my bags! I've been looking everywhere for them. :eek:

I must have left them there last time. You can keep them if you want. Just give me a few of them next time we meet up.

Mr James
10/10/2006, 10:25 PM
It was Mike who gave them to me. I remember now. He gave them to me on Sunday afternoon. Nice try Mr. Alabama!!

SueQ
10/10/2006, 10:26 PM
Rhodo is a heavy feeder, so it needs more frequent additions of f/2 than iso or nanno. it's a lot bigger than nanno or iso and it used to turn my ciliates a reddish hue. the iso is on plates growing on an artificial gel/agar media right now. so it'll take me a while to get it ramped up. i still have to put up extra shelves in the laundry room for culturing.

Mr James
10/10/2006, 10:36 PM
You're moving into the laundry room?? Better not invade HIS space!! Time to add on to the house or take out a wall!!

When I received my cultures from FAF, they were on a disc. I swabbed it with a Q-Tip and put in the water to start the culture. Is this what you are talking about?? My bottle of f/2 is about 2 or 3 quarts. Do you think it will go bad after a while??

SueQ
10/10/2006, 10:45 PM
That is the type of culture my friend got and he did the same thing. His nanno is doing very well. His iso isn't doing as well, but I think we brainstormed on ways to fix that and i'll be looking at one of the ideas when i do the home stuff.
Man, you got A LOT of f/2!!! I had a little 8oz bottle and there was still tons left over after all my culture work! Enough for the other my friend to use for his stuff. As far as it going bad, funny he just called FAF the other day to ask them about that since my bottle is almost 2yrs old. They told him it should be aok, and that was without any refridg. Interested in selling a bottle??

Edit-James, did you get the FAF Micro Algae Grow?https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/picserve.cgi?picserve=/Page1011_1_0001.jpg

Mr James
10/10/2006, 11:03 PM
Yup, that's it.

Mr James
10/10/2006, 11:10 PM
Dang, all this talk of growing, I'm going to order on Friday. The Nanno is only $8.50. I'm going to start this weekend.

Suzi: I should get Nanno correct?? Or something else?? What is your expert opinon?

SueQ
10/10/2006, 11:22 PM
Nanno is fine;p You had that right from the get go James:) I'll get you some iso once I get it ramped up:) It'll take me a couple weeks though-b/t my schedule and the way I'm going to start my stock culture. I'll still have 2L bottles for you within the week.
Do you think it'll be a problem doing this in the laundry room? We keep some carpet cleaning chemicals in there.... I dunno, I thought I read somewhere that using cleaning products, or maybe certain ones, could kill stuff in the area..

Mr James
10/10/2006, 11:46 PM
I may do mine in the garage. I figure as long as the chemicals are exposed. Hmmm. What about in on your porch?? I don't know. You have dogs/cats and I have kids. Hey, Mike has neither!!! You don't need much space. I used to do it in my son's closet when he was a baby. I may do it in a closet, or under a sink in a bathroom. Gotta find a space that the "little hands" can't find. They are good at finding things they shouldn't!!

Bkndsdl
10/11/2006, 06:12 AM
James, now I can admit to doing it in the closet when my boys were babies, but I honestly think you're stretching the truth about under the sink.

Oh, wait...........you're talking about....:o.....nevermind..........

Mr James
10/11/2006, 06:58 AM
Theres a man who thinks like me!!

Phildirt
10/11/2006, 09:41 PM
Hey James, I've got some bottles for you. Phil

Mr James
10/11/2006, 10:44 PM
Good deal Phil, I appreciate it. When can I get them from you?? Hey Phil, do you need a 90g tank BTW??

IslandCrow
10/11/2006, 11:32 PM
Great, when did my house become a candidate for James' phyto making industry? That's why I've been trying to convince you to do this, James, so I don't have to. Anyway, I'll try to remember to ask the guys at the office if any of them buy 2L sodas. I have one for you, plus I should occasionally have those 1.89L Gatorade bottles which should work pretty well.

Phildirt
10/12/2006, 05:31 PM
Hey...... when did you get a 90 gal tank? And your selling it! :eek1:

Wait.................... :rolleye1:

I think I've heard this before..........mmmmmmmmmmmmm but it escapes me. Oh well.

I can try to drop off the bottles tomorrow evening or since you work near me I can drop them off in the morning on Fri. I willl be taking supplies that morning to Destin so I can drop by. Phil

Mr James
10/12/2006, 10:57 PM
I'm ordering my stuff tomorrow or maybe Monday so it can ship out okay.

Bkndsdl
10/13/2006, 05:52 PM
James, how much are you asking for the 90?