PDA

View Full Version : Lfs

Dave Dunbar
09/30/2006, 12:23 AM
Maybe in this new club we could get a GOOD local fish store to get with us to get what people want and have on hand what people need! Shipping on the web stores is almost like stealing and having to wait until they are ready to ship is a joke. If we could get everybody to use the same store MAYBE we could get a discount. I got in trouble before on CIMA for saying "one local store got a new shipment in" Certain people thought I was giving this store "FREE ADVERTISING" but was just trying to let people know of some new stuff. Dont know if this would be a No No but it would help everybody in the group. I know I'm aways away from B/N and theres not much around Peoria to brag about, so I would be willing to drive south to find something!
I dont know its late and I just worked 14 hours but seems like a good idea to me. Maybe somebody has the same thoughts and we can build on it from their.
Dave

brad23
09/30/2006, 08:49 AM
There is something that might work out but will have to see and of course it will probably have to be taken to another forum.

Horace
09/30/2006, 09:15 AM
Dave, unfortunately the mods here at RC will not allow us to post shipment info etc about stores on here. They want to get paid for businesses profiting from this forum, that simple.

However, that being said, we are likely going to try and work with some LFS's and see if we can work something out. We will likely discuss that stuff either in person, or on a private forum.

So yes we are interested...but no, we cant talk about it here :(

Michelle L
09/30/2006, 10:00 AM
Also, I don't know if it would really work out, but there has been discussion about club outings to some of the more awesome LFS in Chicago, St Louis, Indy, etc. It would be nice if we could somehow work out group buys through those places and then take a road trip to pick the shipment up, and have a nice day trip to boot.

fkdenton
09/30/2006, 11:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251291#post8251291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
Dave, unfortunately the mods here at RC will not allow us to post shipment info etc about stores on here.

Are you sure about that? They post stuff like that on the CMAS SLASH AND SEASL forums.

Michelle L
09/30/2006, 11:39 AM
If the store is a sponsor of RC, I believe that they can post things like that.

Horace
09/30/2006, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251842#post8251842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fkdenton
Are you sure about that? They post stuff like that on the CMAS SLASH AND SEASL forums.

Its really up to the mods to enforce it, and sometimes they are a bit more lenient than others. Like Michelle said, if the LFS is a sponsor then its good to go...otherwise, technically its against RC policy.

On that note, if you walk into an LFS and you see something that you think we should know about that may not be a big deal...I think it becomes an issue when the mods think you are possibly trying to increase the profits for a given LFS by talking them up.

AND ON THE NOTE OF LFS. This board should not become a place where people should complain about LFS's. I would like to keep talk positive here if at all possible. If you have an issue with an LFS, keep it to yourself or over PMs. Alot of arguments/friction can be created by bashing of LFSs so I would prefer to avoid it alltogeather.

RV8tor
09/30/2006, 01:47 PM
If anyone gets a chance to go to Dekalb to Rods Reef, I highly recommend it. It is not a big shop at all but he has some REAL nice SPS and Onyx clowns which he raises, I have a pair BTW. I would recommend that as an outing. He is a SUPER nice guy as well. If you go by yourself, call ahead because he services clients tanks and is often out. His home made food is awesome as well, here is his website if you want to check it out.

http://www.rods-reef.com/

hounddog01
09/30/2006, 02:15 PM
I am not sure a LFS would be willing to stock the higher end things we may want. It seems they are looking to maximize profits and the lower end Salt, Pumps, etc that they charge the same price we can order the good stuff for. I would say that if we all got together we could do a monthly order to one of the closest mail order houses and we could pick it up as a group or each person take turns making the trip. We could then pick it up localy. Now that gas prices are down it would not be too expensive for the trip. I just think no matter what LFS will be more expensive than ordering.

Gluestick
10/04/2006, 09:35 AM
I would be interested in taking a group trip to rod's

BrianD
10/04/2006, 09:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251291#post8251291 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
Dave, unfortunately the mods here at RC will not allow us to post shipment info etc about stores on here. They want to get paid for businesses profiting from this forum, that simple.

"Simple" isn't quite the correct word. "Inaccurate" or "Wrong" are probably better ones.

See above.

BrianD
10/04/2006, 09:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251908#post8251908 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
Its really up to the mods to enforce it, and sometimes they are a bit more lenient than others. Like Michelle said, if the LFS is a sponsor then its good to go...otherwise, technically its against RC policy.

You are on a roll. Wrong, again. No sponsor can promote or advertise anywhere except in their own forum.

On that note, if you walk into an LFS and you see something that you think we should know about that may not be a big deal...I think it becomes an issue when the mods think you are possibly trying to increase the profits for a given LFS by talking them up.

It is an issue when an employee or owner of the store in question is doing the promoting. If the person is independent and has nothing to gain, there is no problem.

AND ON THE NOTE OF LFS. This board should not become a place where people should complain about LFS's. I would like to keep talk positive here if at all possible. If you have an issue with an LFS, keep it to yourself or over PMs. Alot of arguments/friction can be created by bashing of LFSs so I would prefer to avoid it alltogeather.

Seems pretty restrictive to only want to post "good" comments about LFS but not openly discuss any negatives. That would lead one to wonder why you feel this way.

BrianD
10/04/2006, 10:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8251879#post8251879 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michelle L
If the store is a sponsor of RC, I believe that they can post things like that.

See above. They can only do that in their own forum.

brad23
10/04/2006, 10:53 AM
[

It is an issue when an employee or owner of the store in question is doing the promoting. If the person is independent and has nothing to gain, there is no problem.

[/B]

So it is ok to talk about a LFS and what they have in stock as long as I don't work for them?

Henry made it sound quite different.

BrianD
10/04/2006, 11:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8274242#post8274242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23
So it is ok to talk about a LFS and what they have in stock as long as I don't work for them?

Yes, again, as long as you don't receive any benefit for the post. If you make a post because you get a discount on livestock or "referral" credit at a LFS, that is a violation. If you try to arrange a group buy because you will get a "cut", that is a violation.

NO financial motive = no problem

Benny Z
10/04/2006, 12:53 PM
thanks for the clarification, brian. we really appreciate it!

brad23
10/04/2006, 03:18 PM
Well that clears things up, as mentioned above I'm working with a local LFS for possible group buys, discounts and a site for frag trades etc...

On a side note pet supply just started ordering from guys old supplier and got some nice stuff in today.

philagothos
10/04/2006, 05:23 PM
Yes, again, as long as you don't receive any benefit for the post. If you make a post because you get a discount on livestock or "referral" credit at a LFS, that is a violation. If you try to arrange a group buy because you will get a "cut", that is a violation.

NO financial motive = no problem

FREEEEEEDOM!!!!!

pyro2k
10/05/2006, 10:28 PM
Does pet supply center have any decent livestock yet? I was out there a few weeks ago and all they had was a few fish and some plain rocks in a few tanks.

Benny Z
10/06/2006, 07:32 AM
i was there yesterday after work and they had quite a few nice fish and some softies. the owner said he picked up some stuff from rick rottet (greenhouse guy of cima) and also the fish came from tmr's old supplier. he had some dispar anthias, a squareback anthia, a clown tang (appeared a bit aggressive), bi-color foxface, some nice triggers, and the usual staple fish. prices were astonishing on some things, but the owner seems willing to negotiate a fair deal if you are a bnarc member (he asked if i was one).

gsvettec4
10/07/2006, 12:29 AM
Is that the one next to Big Lots? If it is, he is the one that has (or had) MY huge lionfish that I bought & paid for from TMR. To get it from him, he wanted me to pay him almost 3 times the price.

Once again I learned, Never pay for something & don't take it with you the same day. :(

Benny Z
10/07/2006, 01:03 AM
no, that would be premium pet supply.

pet supply center used to be in downtown normal on linden. the city bought the property to demolish it and the old owner sold the business to a new owner...or at least that's how i understand it. their new facility is off towanda-barnes road on a small road that heads toward the airport, oakland avenue...but it doesn't connect to the main oakland avenue that goes through town. watch for the sign at the corner, and then another small sign pointing left at the first or second road you come to after that. it's challenging to find the first time...or at least it was for me. :)

JazzMann2
10/08/2006, 09:45 PM
If you know where the Airport radio control tower is slightly off of Towanda-Barnes then you are good to go. Its rather hard to miss it actually. Turn on the road that leads to the control tower, also back towards where WM Masters, Tobins Pizza, etc are. Then just look for a little sign. Its back there in the big warehouse building. Odd location, but he didnt have much choice! It was either there, or on Kays Dr. near the Normal Humaine society, which would have been quite a bit higher lease. I haven't been there in a while. I was actually right across the way there checkin out the new Home theatre place going up next to Tobins and didnt have the desire to go in. Last time i was there, the prices were ridiculous as was the selection.. Maybe I should check them out again with higher hopes

pleaselaunchme
10/09/2006, 12:36 AM
The last time I was in there was probably mid august, and several tanks still had no lighting on them (tanks with liverock and livestock), and their invert selection was still severely limited, though they did mention that was getting worked on. Anyone know if their marine section is fully up and running yet?

Ben

AslanTheKing
10/09/2006, 12:55 AM
I was in there the other day as well. He's far too proud of his livestock to get my business. Though, if he's willing to get more realistic, he could be a good source.

As for the guys next to Circuit City, I'll not darken their doors again. I spotted the lion and contacted gsvettec. I was told that they weren't looking to sell it, but were looking for the owner. My good deed for the day got turned into leading the prey into the kill zone. No thanks. Just hope they've got their fair share of good deeds in themselves, because karma's a . . .

hounddog01
10/09/2006, 10:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8303420#post8303420 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AslanTheKing
I was in there the other day as well. He's far too proud of his livestock to get my business. Though, if he's willing to get more realistic, he could be a good source.

As for the guys next to Circuit City, I'll not darken their doors again. I spotted the lion and contacted gsvettec. I was told that they weren't looking to sell it, but were looking for the owner. My good deed for the day got turned into leading the prey into the kill zone. No thanks. Just hope they've got their fair share of good deeds in themselves, because karma's a . . .

He is very hard to deal with. I am not sure I can say much more.

Horace
10/09/2006, 11:03 AM
I must admit, I was a bit bummed when I found out I payed $600 for my tank + stand + canopy from there when I could have got the tank + stand from Premium Aquatics in Indy for $200.

I have learned much since then :). I have yet to buy another thing since.....

hounddog01
10/09/2006, 11:09 AM
This is what the reef clubs are all about helping people get the best deal/equipment the first time. As most of us have experenced we repurchase the same equipment because we did not have the experence or knoledge and took a LFS word that what they were selling us was the best available for a good price.

brad23
10/09/2006, 11:10 AM
Don't get me started on Mike.

hounddog01
10/09/2006, 11:15 AM
If he had to sell fish and supplies to make ends meet he would be out of business

GreenBay1
10/09/2006, 12:37 PM
This is also the guy that hired (what he thinks) is the greatest saltwater employee there is. The guy from pet supply center who swears that clams can thrive under NO lights. You all know who I am talking about.

LegoZ81
10/09/2006, 12:44 PM
Can we roll this into something constructive instead of straight up bashing? I don't typically go to that store (I did buy live rock from them a LONG time ago b/c it was the only place in town that had aiptasia free rock!) but some of this is borderline handslapping area...
All the stores in Bloomington-Normal have their problems as do all other stores. The thing is they are doing what they have to in order to survive. Having all the stuff that we want at the prices we want it for does not make it easy to stay profitable and keep the doors open.

GreenBay1
10/09/2006, 12:48 PM
Ouch, I will try not to slap anyone. Your right Lego, this is one of the reasons we all left CIMA and started fresh. Good point, lets all try a little harder to keep it fair here.

hounddog01
10/09/2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks for bringing the perspective back.

BrianD
10/09/2006, 01:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8305597#post8305597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreenBay1
Ouch, I will try not to slap anyone. Your right Lego, this is one of the reasons we all left CIMA and started fresh.

Let's not editorialize about other clubs. That is neither necessary nor productive.

brad23
10/09/2006, 01:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8305529#post8305529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreenBay1
This is also the guy that hired (what he thinks) is the greatest saltwater employee there is. The guy from pet supply center who swears that clams can thrive under NO lights. You all know who I am talking about.

You don't need a skimmer either and tap water is fine for reefs.

LegoZ81
10/09/2006, 01:40 PM
Brad stop.

GreenBay1
10/09/2006, 01:42 PM
Ok, I will stop posting.

LegoZ81
10/09/2006, 02:09 PM
:( just trying to keep things from getting out of hand wild in here. we could be hosing ourselves later

brad23
10/09/2006, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8305956#post8305956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LegoZ81
Brad stop.

I didn't say who said that. I think it was you.

MattAranda
10/09/2006, 04:46 PM
On a different note, the Premium pet Supply by Big lots and Circuit city had about 8 5 gallon jugs of live rock shipped in today. They said they had someone changing from saltwater to a cichlid set up. There was a BAD A** sea urchin in there too that they are asking $100.00 for. I think they may have said it was a TUXEDO, it had some nice neon shining off of it, about the size of a softball.

brad23
10/09/2006, 05:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8307305#post8307305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MattAranda
On a different note, the Premium pet Supply by Big lots and Circuit city had about 8 5 gallon jugs of live rock shipped in today. They said they had someone changing from saltwater to a cichlid set up. There was a BAD A** sea urchin in there too that they are asking $100.00 for. I think they may have said it was a TUXEDO, it had some nice neon shining off of it, about the size of a softball.

I think this is the same one that was traded into YMR for less than $20 and TMR wanted $25 or less.

MattAranda
10/09/2006, 05:56 PM
From the stories I have heard this sounds like a common situation at this store. All the local fish stores are fairly pricey. Maybe we should start doing large orders from an online site every few months or bi-annually since everyone is close to the B/N area now.

What is TMR? I am not familiar.

brad23
10/09/2006, 05:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8307693#post8307693 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MattAranda
From the stories I have heard this sounds like a common situation at this store. All the local fish stores are fairly pricey. Maybe we should start doing large orders from an online site every few months or bi-annually since everyone is close to the B/N area now.

What is TMR? I am not familiar.

This is all coming down the line keep a eye out for it.

MattAranda
10/09/2006, 06:22 PM
What is TMR?

Benny Z
10/09/2006, 06:26 PM
the mad reefer

they have closed their doors. well, someone closed them anyway.

MattAranda
10/09/2006, 06:28 PM
Ahhh yes, it all makes sense now. All these abbreviations, I should be used to it working in this dang cubicle all day!

jedwardsk9
06/03/2007, 12:00 AM
First time i stumbled over this .... ahhhhhh ummmmmm Jre is in the hizouuse !!!!!

jedwardsk9
06/03/2007, 12:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8252506#post8252506 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hounddog01
I am not sure a LFS would be willing to stock the higher end things we may want. It seems they are looking to maximize profits and the lower end Salt, Pumps, etc that they charge the same price we can order the good stuff for. I would say that if we all got together we could do a monthly order to one of the closest mail order houses and we could pick it up as a group or each person take turns making the trip. We could then pick it up localy. Now that gas prices are down it would not be too expensive for the trip. I just think no matter what LFS will be more expensive than ordering.

ahhhhhhhhhhh pow your wish...

redvipe2010
06/04/2007, 01:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8305597#post8305597 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreenBay1
Ouch, I will try not to slap anyone. Your right Lego, this is one of the reasons we all left CIMA and started fresh. Good point, lets all try a little harder to keep it fair here.

Actually you didn't leave, you were removed from CIMA. You were also removed from RC for a few months. If you remember right you and I discussed this through e-mails. Which eventually led me to forwarding the information to Henry and got you back on RC.

It amazes me that you and a few of your club members still bash CIMA and/or RC, but yet you still post on RC and on the CIMA forum when you need something that your club can't provide.

GreenBay1
06/04/2007, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10075085#post10075085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redvipe2010
Actually you didn't leave, you were removed from CIMA. You were also removed from RC for a few months. If you remember right you and I discussed this through e-mails. Which eventually led me to forwarding the information to Henry and got you back on RC.

It amazes me that you and a few of your club members still bash CIMA and/or RC, but yet you still post on RC and on the CIMA forum when you need something that your club can't provide.

Why in the world are you coming in here and posting this? What I said that you quoted is not bad in any way, shape or form and it is very old. We have not said anything negative toward CIMA in some time, why are you coming in here trying to start something? It is interesting why you would do this and complain that we start stuff with your club when this thread really has nothing to do with your club. And what do you mean "when you need something that your club can't provide"? I don't think you know what it means either, but anyway. On another note, read what you quoted me saying, I said lets keep it fair in here. And I never said that it was the reason why "I" left CIMA. Get your facts correct before you try starting anything. I am glad you have a club to participate in, as I am proud to be part of BNARC. If there was not the issue with a certain (Moved On) person, I would still be in CIMA too. Oh, by the way, Henry didn't get me back on RC, I worked the problem out with other mods.

No need to come in here and try to start something because you don't like me, when nothing was done to warrant you doing so. Grow up a little and leave me out of your witch hunt for an excuse to bash me or this club.

redvipe2010
06/04/2007, 03:47 PM
Not a witch hunt, just stating the facts. I am not bashing the club. Again, just stating facts that there are a few members in your club that like to bash RC and CIMA. You were removed from CIMA and RC (twice). In fact you are now on your third screen name here. You and a few of your club members have been warned several times about bashing the club. You have also been warned again in this thread.

GreenBay1
06/04/2007, 03:54 PM
I am on my second screen name on RC, blooper74 and GreenBay1. This thread is old from last year and you are useing it as your base for your "facts". I didn't do anything wrong in this thread and you know it, so stop whatever it is you are trying to do. I am reporting this to the mods, I am not going to let you draw anyone into a fight or bicker match. There has been enough trouble in the past, and this thread is in the past. Your just digging for reasons to start something.

redvipe2010
06/04/2007, 04:04 PM
No, just sick of watching you and a few others bash the club and RC.

And it is 3 screen names, your forgetting one.

beerguy
06/04/2007, 04:07 PM
Pot meet Kettle. Kettle meet Pot.

My recommendation to both of you is to put the other in your ignore list and move on . This petty bickering back and forth is pretty silly.

Closed.