PDA

View Full Version : Just Found This Forum

bheron
09/29/2006, 10:03 AM
Hi all, never knew this forum was here! Just wanted to give some feedback since I read the magazine all the time (and my tank was in the reefslides once!).

Anyway, its so obvious how much time, effort, and top notch expertise is put into the magazine each month. Amazing. And, I totally understand that, for the most part, this hobby really is a science - I think we all have learned that. And I also understand that in order to establish a certain level of credibility, certain measures must be taken. But...

My only suggestion/request is would it be possible to make the articles much less technical and more entertaining? That probably sounds like a dumb question but what I find myself doing each week is seeing a title of a great article and getting all excited to read it. What usually happens is that, after a few minutes I find myself reading a research paper from college! Now, Im not genius, but I also have a fairyl high reading level, and even this stuff gets too technical and scientific. Its not the material at all, but the style. Learning new scientific methods and terms, etc, is great. But sometimes its written like an APA paper which, b/c my wife is a college professor, are not always easy/fun to read!

Hope this is taken as just my opinion. But I think if the style was changed to that of say, Newsweek or SI, a greater percentage of the audience this is getting to might be able to appreciate all the time, effort, and expertise that clearly goes into each article.

Please let me know if Im way off, if this ihas been suggested, or Im just a PIA!

Skipper
09/29/2006, 08:09 PM
Any article in particular (or articles) that you could give me as examples?

Thanks

bheron
09/29/2006, 10:06 PM
skipper, i would be happy to supply some! let me take a look at the latest ones and give my humble critique!

ps - thanks for humoring my "complaint" :-)