PDA

View Full Version : mixing clownfish species

afi
04/30/2000, 08:11 AM
is it possible to mix to different species of clownfish in a 40 gallon tank?

Steve Richardson
04/30/2000, 09:13 AM
Afi -

yes... its possible, but you have to be careful.

I have seen clarki & percula do well.

Maroon clowns can be quite territorial towards other clowns. Tomato & Cinnamon clowns can be too, though not as bad. I have a tomato that chased 2 perculas completely out of the tank when I wasnt paying attention. (75G tank)

I think if you keep the numbers down, and put them in a large tank, you stand a greater chance of having success.

I'm sure others have some thoughts too...

-S

p.s. - not sure if this is helpful in this respect:
http://www.keil.ukans.edu/ebooks/intro.html

[This message has been edited by Steve Richardson (edited 04-30-2000).]

Michelle
04/30/2000, 12:05 PM
On the same topic, I have a pair of maroons right now in a 30g. Will be putting together a 5' long 90g soon and will want a pair of some other type of clown as well, possibly pink skunks. Will I be able to have the maroon pair as well in the long tank? Will a tank that long enable this? Or should one or the other type stay in the 30g?

Thanks,
-Michelle

Pikaboo
04/30/2000, 12:18 PM
Afi: it all depends on what type of clownfishes you want to put together. I have a 40gallon and tried to put 1 pair of percula and 1 pair of Maroon together. Well.. it didn't work out. They were actually put in the take at the same time... but the perculas were just mean. They beat up my maroons. The female maroon is twice the size of percula and the male is the same size as the percula. I even removed the perculas for months... then I decided to see what happens if I put them back. After 10 minutes that the perculas were in the tank, the maroons were being chased around and nipped at!

Alice
04/30/2000, 12:45 PM
I would put both pairs in at the same time and if they have a coral or anemone that they are using as a host I would put them at opposite sides of the tank.

Basically, it's a 50/50 crapshoot...why not just keep one pair in the smaller tank so that you will be assured of peace and harmony in your little slices of the ocean?

------------------
Reefkeeping is my life; I can't afford a hobby too!

Wolverine
04/30/2000, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't put any other clowns in a tank with a maroon pair. Maroons can be really mean, and the female only gets meaner when they're in a pair. It's quite likely that you'll end up with only a maroon pair if you try to put other clowns in the tank.

And things are even worse if either pair has an anemone/coral to hang out in. These only make them that much more territorial (ie, they have something to defend).

Michelle, I would definitely not put pink skunks with maroons. Maroons tend to be the biggest, meanest clowns; pink skunks are one of the smallest, meakest clowns. If you put in a pair of each I think it will not take very long for you to have no more pink skunks.

Dave

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/lcrandall/reefpage.html

Michelle
05/01/2000, 01:59 AM
Thanks - think I will keep the maroons where they are now.