PDA

View Full Version : October Meeting

Michelle L
09/28/2006, 08:29 PM
Hi all

Well it's time for me to step up and take one for the team. I'm planning a club meeting for Saturday, October 14th. I'm thinking of starting at 1:00 pm, but that time is flexible, depending on when people can come.

I have already warned some of you guys that my place is really small, so we'll be a little crowded. I only have one couch, so I hate to say it but you'll have to bring a lawn chair or risk sitting on a ceramic tile floor. I'm so sorry! Also, my dining area is taken up by my tank, so I am sans table. I guess the dining room table is your lap. :( I'll make food that is lap-friendly. :) Also, my tank is so new that it's a little barren...not much to look at. Sorry!

I'm going to throw out some ideas for food, and you guys tell me what you would prefer that I make. I know Brad suggested donations for hosts, but you needn't do that for me. I'll be happy to provide food in exchange for advice about my tank...I really need help with a setup to balance alk, etc. And of course, my tank is brand new so frags are always a welcome sight in my house.

Chili- I make it yummy.
Italian Beef- I have an *awesome* recipe!
Hot dogs/burgers on the grill
Side dish suggestions?
Pumpkin pie to celebrate Halloween, anyone?

BYOB!

Please RSVP here so I can get an idea of how much I need of everything. Also, any ideas for activities?

hounddog01
09/28/2006, 08:42 PM
I think it all sounds good. After checking my calendar I will be attending. I am looking forward to meetings close to home. Since your tank is new what type of frags are you looking for? I am very excited to have a club where I know and like everyone!

Michelle L
09/28/2006, 08:52 PM
Really I'm open to about any type of frag, but I'd prefer easy keepers that aren't bothered by flow, and aren't too intrusive. I'm not afraid to try the more difficult stuff though...the tank was originally set up as an SPS system but we changed our minds later in the game when I saw how cool LPS can be, but I still have the high flow/fairly intense light that SPS like.

I'd rather avoid anything encrusting, or creeping.

Oh yeah, and I'm exited too!! I feel like this could breathe new life into activities and such. Will you be coming to the election meeting next weekend at Fiesta Ranchera?

Benny Z
09/28/2006, 08:54 PM
ditto! i can come!

i'll make some fresh bruchetta and possibly a pumpkin log if y'all are lucky.

Michelle L
09/28/2006, 09:00 PM
Yay!!

Mmmmm anything with pumpkin is a winner in my book, and while I can't spell "bruchetta" without effort, that's yummy too!

hounddog01
09/28/2006, 09:05 PM
I would like to come to the meeting. I will be out of town that weekend working. I would really like to attend and help form the fledgling club but as always Family/work comes first. If the meeting was changed I would be there. Maybe someone can take Minutes and post them. Then any voting could happen at your meeting. I think this would allow everyone to digest any information before making decisions.

Horace
09/28/2006, 09:09 PM
Michelle, I am sure I can break off a little something for you ;p

LegoZ81
09/28/2006, 09:53 PM
I can't at this time see a reason that I would not be able to make it :)
So... Count me in :)
I'll see if I can wrestle a head off of the Candy can for you.
At least in my tank it has been splitting pretty well.

GreenBay1
09/28/2006, 10:39 PM
I will be there of course. By the way I need your email address for the mailing list. Just send me a PM.

Gluestick
09/28/2006, 11:18 PM
I would like to join the club, and I am interested in coming to the first meeting. I was thinking about joining the CIMA club, but it was kind of intimidating there. This seems like a nice fresh start. Michelle, I'm a girl reefer and a have a new tank, too! I look forward to meeting you at the meeting! I would be happy to bring a dish to pass! Also, I have a couple small frags I could give, but I'm not sure what you're interested in.

Michelle L
09/29/2006, 11:51 AM
Hey Gluestick...I've seen you on the other board before. I know what you mean about being intimidated. It took me a while to get used to it and I even left for a while, but I misunderstood a lot of what was going on. I'm glad I came back because I've learned a lot on RC. Reefers are all a great bunch of people overall. Welcome to BNARC!

I think we also have something else in common...aren't you a dental assistant? I did that for a while, so we can talk teeth. :D

I wanted to tell everyone that you don't need to feel compelled bring anything at all, just yourselves. I know I mentioned frags, but if you are just starting out and things are still growing, then don't sweat it. I'll just be happy to meet club members and learn some stuff.

Hey Kurt, I know that there will be a few of us who are still getting our bearings in reefing, so maybe you could give us a lesson in the Randy's 2-Part system at the meeting? And anyone else who can give newbies some pointers on things like that, I'm sure it would be well appreciated.

Hounddog, we should try to work something out so that everyone can make it to the meeting or at least know what was going on there. Any suggestions from other members? Maybe have a poll with a few different times/dates to see what works best for as many folks as possible?

And to everyone else, thanks...I'll send PM's with directions to my place soon.

brad23
09/29/2006, 01:20 PM
Me and Kurt are the local 2 part experts

Michelle I'll bring a big suprise for you...........

I mean little and a inch or so smaller.

Gluestick
09/29/2006, 01:27 PM
Hey Michelle,
Yup, I was a dental assistant for 6 years. Then I decided to got to hygiene school and I'm now going to school (part-time, just finishing my pre-reqs), and I'm a financial co-ordinator at a dental office now. I see you are a student as well; do you go to ISU? My sister goes there!

Michelle L
09/29/2006, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8246637#post8246637 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brad23
Me and Kurt are the local 2 part experts

Michelle I'll bring a big suprise for you...........

I mean little and a inch or so smaller.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Can't wait to see!!

Gluestick, right now I'm still working on getting my associate's, then I'll go from there. I'll be doing something in the medical field, I'm just not sure what. I'm hoping to be a pathlogist's assistant, but there are only 9 schools in the US that offer the program, and competition for admission is fierce, so I probably won't get in unless I am able to keep my GPA high.

This semester I'm not taking any classes because I was so burned out after last semester. My husband is a full time nursing student so I am working while he's in school. He gets to return the favor for me when he's finished. :D

GreenBay1
09/29/2006, 04:43 PM
You don't need pathology school. Just watch 1 season of CSI and you will do fine.

Michelle L
09/30/2006, 07:24 PM
Well heck, between CSI and Cold Case Files, I ought to be good to go then. I'm going down to the coroner's office on Monday and tell them that I am qualified to be on the payroll! :D

GreenBay1
09/30/2006, 07:29 PM
There you go. Career, here you come.

medic29
10/01/2006, 08:58 AM
I wish I could come, but that is my weekend to work.

RobynT
10/01/2006, 05:22 PM
I plan to be able to make the meeting too. I would also like to bring something to help out. I don't think that the host of the meeting should be responsible for all of the food or refreshments, that really is too much to expect of anyone! I suggest we either have people helpout in one way or another, be it food, beverages, a donation jar (easiest for some) frags..........whatever works.

Looking forward to meeting you!

brad23
10/01/2006, 05:37 PM
We have talked about this a little and will pan it out in the meeting next weekend. But we were looking at donations to the host or everyone bringing something.

Michelle L
10/01/2006, 06:05 PM
You know what I would really like to get my grubby mitts on? Some chaeto! I have a lot of macro in my fuge but it's mostly the kind that can go sexual so I have to harvest it frequently.

I'll supply the food and drink at October's meeting if someone can bring some of that wonderful stuff!! :D

brad23
10/01/2006, 06:15 PM
Your in luck I have a ton of cheto

hounddog01
10/01/2006, 10:47 PM
I am about to harvest (pitch in the garbage) some Cheato. I have to travel this weekend but if you want to take some this week let me know.

Michelle L
10/02/2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks guys!

Sure, hounddog, I'd love to have what you don't want. I have a small clump but mine won't grow as long as I have the other macro in there competing for nutrients.

hounddog01
10/02/2006, 10:38 PM
If you want it before the meeting let me know.

RobynT
10/02/2006, 10:51 PM
I would love to buy some from you too if you have some extra. I plan on being at the meeting, please let me know if you have any extra for sale. Thanks!

Dave Dunbar
10/03/2006, 01:16 AM
I would like to come to the meeting also. Are you going to send e-mail directions? I have a few frags I also!!! Let me know.
Dave

Michelle L
10/03/2006, 04:57 AM
Great! I believe that directions will be e-mailed by GreenBay1 as the date gets closer and we have a final tally on who will be there.

Robyn, I'm glad you're coming! My husband is in school to be an RN too, so it's always nice to have an experienced nurse to get advice from. I think that Medic29 is also a nurse/paramedic but can't make it that weekend. :(

Hounddog, I don't have to have the cheato before the meeting. If you don't mind hanging on to it, you could just bring it with you. Thanks so much!

GreenBay1
10/03/2006, 11:31 AM
I will send out a mass email to everybody on the mailing list the weekend before the meeting. The email will have the directions to the meeting and some general information.

MattAranda
10/03/2006, 02:10 PM
Is the meeting at Fiesta just for voting purposes?

LegoZ81
10/03/2006, 02:13 PM
There is some info concerning that in this thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=941916

lcashman
10/08/2006, 05:29 PM
Is it too late to sign up?
If possible, send me the directions to next weeks meeting.

Thanks!!

Gluestick
10/08/2006, 06:17 PM
Is there anyone in the club who is not from B/N area? I'm not, so I'm just curious.

FloatingFish
10/08/2006, 06:23 PM
Me.

medic29
10/08/2006, 06:26 PM
Me too

Gluestick
10/08/2006, 07:12 PM
Hey FloatingFish, my coworker is from Odell

RobynT
10/08/2006, 09:20 PM
I'm also not from the B/N area but 50 miles north of Peoria. I'm happy to be a part of the club and don't feel that the drive will be unreasonable.