PDA

View Full Version : planning out my new nano...

el pez
06/17/2002, 07:11 PM
hello everybody,

I am currently in the process of planning out my nano reef. well it wont be a full blown reef. but it will have LS, LR, some basic inverts(shrooms, polyps, fanworms).

im gonna be using a 10 gallon tank. and the lighting is 2 20watt tubes. i wanted to use 3, but it was too much more work to set up with the way i wanted my canopy to be. as for bulbs im thinking bout an actinic and a 50/50. its pretty bright for a such a shallow tank. ya i know its not that much, but its pretty good for LR and coraline IMO.

the tank will be stocked with snails, a few trustworthy hermits(i have learned the hard way which ones are bad in the past), and a few shrimp(pepermint/cleaner). and MAYBE a clown, but that is not a definate yet.

how deep of a sand bed should i run? im thinking 2 inches, maybe 3? would i run into problems with 3 inches? i have access to all the 60lbs of sand in my parents established FOWLR as they are converting to a sterile FO. and i will be taking about 25 lbs of their LR. dunno what to do with the other 20.

water movement/mechanical filter is an aquaclear mini and either a powerhead or another empty powerfilter.

anything else im missing or need to consider?

thanks

HuBu
06/17/2002, 09:31 PM
a heater would also help. 25 lbs is probably too much LR for a 10 gal. definitely a HOB and a PH.

el pez
06/17/2002, 09:38 PM
ya i didnt mention the heater cause its a DUH item. hehe, pretty boring part of the tank setup discusion i guess.

but ya i dunno EXACTLY how much LR i will take out of my parents tank. just enough to make my 10 nice. they dont want any of it anymore.

ill put the powerhead in as well then. i thought it would be nice to have a little more flow.

KK
06/18/2002, 12:04 AM
i have a ten and had 2 20watt bulbs 1 actinic and 1 10,000k and it did ok but if i was you i would gow with pcs 1 32watt smartlight and one 20 watt actinic the color is awsome. plus the corals will like it better.

el pez
06/18/2002, 12:57 AM
im not too too worried bout corals with the 20s. cause i would rather jus get the tank up and going for a while before corals anyways. ill definatly upgrade to dual PCs in the near future. then i will have hella light.

i would wait to set up the tank with the PCs, but i know its gonna have a few algae blooms and i wanna get those outa the way.

KK
06/18/2002, 10:12 AM
ok i upgraded and noticed alot of differece