PDA

View Full Version : A couple early pics from our reef

Lutefisk
06/17/2002, 04:05 PM
I'm sorry that our 1st generation digital cam doesn't have a better job but I just finished a post about using an idea I stole from Russell (pinning rocks together to form the reef).

Here are a couple of pictures.
BTW - yes the glass needs to be cleaned and many of the corals are not in final position and are resting on the sand bed.

Also, I'm still working on lighting.
Whole length - 1 - 72" VHO Actinic
Left side - softies: 2 - 24" VHO 50/50's,
Center - 1 DYI 250 watt 10,000K AB HQI on the new Icecap ballast
Right - 1 - 250 watt Iwasaki

I will be replacing the Iwasaki with another DYI 250watt 10,000K HQI and possibly adding a third to cover the right 2/3's of the reef. I'm considering a 150 or 175 watt MH on the left side.

Right hand side
http://www.mindspring.com/~pogne/Images/ReefCentral/020617/Right%20side%20of%20tank.JPG

Center
http://www.mindspring.com/~pogne/Images/ReefCentral/020617/Center%20from%20right%20side.JPG

Left side
http://www.mindspring.com/~pogne/Images/ReefCentral/020617/Left%20Side%20of%20tank.JPG

Sir Knight
06/17/2002, 07:44 PM
Hi Paul,
Very Very Nice.
How About some Pictures for the clubs website
Joe W.

TROPHYKW
06/17/2002, 09:18 PM
Hi Paul , really great pictures if you email them to Joe Wall he's our web master for the ORCA web site he'll put them on the site his email is jwall1@cfl.rr.com. Also it would be great to have a meeting at your house alot of the members would really love to see your tank in person, mostly me.Thanks
Nick Golinello
Vice President of ORCA

Lutefisk
06/17/2002, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

Joe, I'll email you the pics. I'd prefer to take them without the Iwasaki's but I'll send them as they are.

We'd love to have the club meeting at our place but I promised my wife that the house would be a little more in order before we do :rolleyes:

Right now I've got a six foot diameter kiddie pool in the kitchen, two partially dismantled tanks and stands, a set of temporary holding tanks, the guest bed room full of parts and doodads, saw horses next to the dining room table, and buckets of tools and parts scattered around. But, we're getting there!

In the mean time, if anyone is in the Oviedo area I'll be glad to show you the reef. Just drop me an email.

I also have some systems for sale

30 gal with oak stand PC 2x55 watt CSL, sump, pump, overflow, heater, skimmer, etc - entire system (New in box PC bulbs)

85 gal Oceanic hex, cedar colored hardwood stand, 250 watt hamilton MH (your choice of 10,000k AB, 12,000K Sunburst, or Iwasaki bulb), sump, pump, overflow, heater, skimmer, etc - entire system

72" 4x96 watt PC light fixture with 6 months on bulbs plus extra set of new in box bulbs

I have live sand and rock for these tanks with more than enough coral and fish to get you started.

Paul

Sir Knight
06/17/2002, 11:32 PM
Hi Paul,
Your pictures are on the website, give them a look
Joe W.

mustangsv0
06/21/2002, 05:05 PM
hey paul,
could you gibe me some specs on the 85 hex? i checked out oceanic's website and they don't have them.

and how much are you looking at getting for the 4 x 96 PC's?

lol. and how much did you end up spending on the DIY 250 HQI's??

sorry for so many questions. i'm either looking at getting a bigger tank (i have a 55) or upgrading the lights (i have 2 x 96) thanks.

victor

p.s. you tank looks pretty damn nice, in my opinion. do you know what kind of coral the piece in the middle is?? i think it's green (i'm colorblind) the coral is is a sort of encrusting rock looking piece. i have it also, and it was sold to me as pavona, but i don't think it is.

Lutefisk
06/22/2002, 08:59 PM
Hey Mustang,

Thanks for the good words on the reef!

I'll get you the dimensions on the 85 Sunday. It really made an interesting reef - you could walk almost all the way around it. We had it in the middle of the room rather than along a wall.

I'm doing some research on the price of the 4x96. Keep in mind that it is 72" in a ventalated black ABS housing. The bulbs have six months on them and I have a full set of spares. I want it to be a good deal for both the buyer and seller. So - I'll listen to any good offers.

I was told that green coral is Pavona too. Let me know if you come up with a different ID.

Price list for DYI HQI's

$160 New Icecap 250 Watt MH ballast (HQI and Single Ended)
$89 AB 250 watt 10,000K HQI bulb
$20 HQI 250watt bulb sockets
$12 Regent 500 watt outdoors halogen flood light
$6 Junction box and cover
(Plus misc. wire)

A still less expensive than than finished products but with electronic ballast. The other possibility is to purchase a completed pendant (that is the only tough part). I wanted to go electronic for power usage and bulb life reasons.

You can do it even less expensively if you use a dual PFO HQI ballast.

Paul

mustangsv0
06/22/2002, 11:15 PM
thanks for all the info. the hex sounds pretty cool. and i didn't know the fixture was ABS, but still let me know, as if it's reasonable i can sell my current PC's.

seems like the DIY HQI is still a bit on the high end. i'll probably go with the DIY 250W MH for $100. thanks.

victor