PDA

View Full Version : vho's came today

jonah
06/13/2002, 10:40 PM
After seeing Richard's tank I decided to stop waiting and get VHO's for my tank. I ordered them monday from hellolights.com and they arrived today. I needed a canopy to mount them in and since I'm lazy I went to Petsmart. The first one on I-40 didn't have any so we headed to 63rd. They had 3 left for 75g and they were on clearance for just the last 20 minutes at $20. It's not the greatest, but it serves it's purpose. I have to figure out a way to get around my skimmer on the back. The canopy sits on it. I might just notch it on the back corner.

So what corals can I "NOT" keep with 440w of VHO? I'm probably not going to move up to mh anytime soon.

On a side note, I called that guy with the 75g tank for $600 obo, but it was sold last night:mad:. His ad in the Oklahoman said it included VHO's, 60 lbs of live rock, fish and corals so someone got a good deal. Maybe they'll join COMAS if they aren't already members.

Kyle McClain
06/14/2002, 08:55 AM
Which skimmer do you have? I have a prizm and had the same problem. I ended up putting card board inbetween the skimmer and the tank to get the clearance I needed.

Kyle

jonah
06/14/2002, 06:53 PM
I've got a seaclone 100. I'm going to cut a notch in the back to clear the skimmer this weekend. Eventually, I'll end up switching my 75g marine with the 125g mbuna, then I'll custom build a canopy for whatever skimmer I use then. I'm thinking of a Prizm Pro when I make the switch probably next year unless the oil business picks up.

Kyle McClain
06/15/2002, 02:33 PM
I would consider something other that the prizm pro unless you get a chance to see one in action. My prizm does an o.k. job but I would prefer something that I could dial back instead of hoping it's doing enough. I have heard good things about the remora.

Lilgrasshopper
06/21/2002, 03:21 PM
Did I see Seaclone??? :D

Jonah,
You have any Tropheus moori?

jonah
06/21/2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Lilgrasshopper
Did I see Seaclone??? :D

Jonah,
You have any Tropheus moori?

I'm not ready for a $200 skimmer:(. Maybe when I switch tanks.

No, just the bread & butter Malawi, electric blues/yellows, red zebras, lombardoi, bumblebees, Mel.johani and Mel. auratus, and a couple of cobalts.

There's a venustus too.:)

Don Davis
07/03/2002, 07:52 PM
How do you like the VHO's so far?

Don

DrkShadow
07/04/2002, 10:14 AM
I have a euroreef cs6-2. No pump, I'll make you a good deal on it. I have an extra one.

jonah
07/07/2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by DrkShadow
I have a euroreef cs6-2. No pump, I'll make you a good deal on it. I have an extra one.

I wish I heard that before I spent $1000 taking my family to Branson for the weekend. I think my aquaria budget is pretty much shot for the next couple of months.:(

BTW, the Chinese Acrobats in Branson were great, but I could of missed the rest of the weekend.

jonah
07/07/2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Don Davis
How do you like the VHO's so far?

Don

I like the light overall, but I had a real problem with the heat. Now I keep the front open most of the time and use a small fan when it gets too warm. Eventually I want to build a custom canopy with more clearance and built-in fans. That's in my "one-of-these-days" file.

Finman
07/09/2002, 02:42 PM
Jonah, did the Branson thing last week with my wife. We went to see the Bobby Vinton show. It was really a good show but I bet 90% of the people there where over 60. O'l Bobby's looking a little aged himself even though his voice didn't sound any different.

Branson must have every type of tacky business and shows on the planet, but it's still nice to go someplace that has a family atmosphere and clean entertainment.

Don Davis
07/09/2002, 05:58 PM
Who's Bobby Vinton? Does that make you feel old Stan?:D :D

Don

jonah
07/09/2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Don Davis
Who's Bobby Vinton? Does that make you feel old Stan?:D :D

Don

I was thinking it, but I didn't want you to feel old.:D

We saw the acrobats and a magician named Kirby Van something or other. He was pretty good, but the acrobat show was just awesome. It almost made up for the overpriced condo and the miserable traffic.

It didn't make up for my tank disaster when I got home. Somehow or other the AC wasn't turned down far enough and my tank was 90 degrees when I got home. I lost a cleaner shrimp, a purple starfish and maybe some brittle stars (haven't seen them since I got home). My colt was pretty messed up looking too, but it looks like it will pull through. The algae bloom is clearing up too. I turned my skimmer down before I left because it fills up at least every other day and we were leaving for four. My yellow tang was hiding for a day or so after we got home, but he's back to normal as well.

I also lost a plate coral, but I think it was eaten by the hairy spider in my tank. I've only seen parts of the crab when the lights are all out, but I haven't wanted to catch him bad enough before. It's about the size of a small tarantula and it looked like it had brown hair on it.

Finman
07/10/2002, 08:55 AM
Yea, I knew I was going to open myself up for that one. Hey I'm old but not that old. I had an uncle who had a bunch of the old sixties albums when I was a kid. I got to listening to that music and still like it today. Ever heard of Paul Revere and the Raiders or Bobbie Vee?

When I was gone for four days to Branson I left my lights off the whole time, to see if I could slow down my hair algae problem. When I got back the hair was still doing great but I haven't had to clean my glass on the tank yet and that was a week and half ago.

My corals were kinded of freaked out but they recovered fast once the lights came back on. Now if I can just get rid of this hair algae before it completely takes over my tank.