PDA

View Full Version : 20g fish recommendations

cal3v
06/13/2002, 07:52 PM
Hello al. I am downsizing, so will be entering the world of nanos shortly! Anywho, does somebody have any fish that they can recommend for a nano of 20g in size? Basically any fish you can mention that will do well in a nano would be great. From there, I can narrow my choices regarding compatibility and such.

HuBu
06/13/2002, 09:12 PM
true perc clowns.

skeeters
06/14/2002, 09:33 AM
My 25 contains a maroon clown, longnose hawkfish, lawnmower blenny and chalk bass. Everyone get's along!

scd
06/14/2002, 03:30 PM
I have an Ocelaris clown and Cherub (Atlantic Pygmy) Angel in a 15g... I would highly recommend the clown. The angel has only been in the tank for about 3 weeks so I don't have enough experience with it to recommend and I hear they can be hit or miss... But so far it has been a great addition!! Beautiful fish and loves swimming into all the caves I rearranged for it.

I had a psudochromis (red tail) that did great in the tank, it also loved the rockwork, I gave him to a LFS though after a couple years because he was too territorial (aggressive).

If I was to set up an additional nano, I think I would put in a pair of Clown Gobies.... I was researching them before I got the angel and they seemed like a great choice... They stay small and you can get captive raised specimens!! Which is a great plus to me.

waterart
06/14/2002, 03:34 PM
Definately a true percula Clown. I think that 20 gallons would be too small for a pair, though.

Kapelakin
06/16/2002, 03:02 PM
Popular fish for 20 and under reef tanks:

Percula and False Percula clowns
Skunk clowns
Neon goby
Red Headed Goby
Watchman goby
Pyjama or Bangaii cardinal
Six-line wrasse (marginal)
Damsels (if you only want damsels)
Cherub angel
Lawnmower blenny (marginal)

By marginal I mean I'd only put one in a 20 or bigger.

HTH

fishman
06/16/2002, 05:12 PM
In my 20 gal high I have a pair of Amphiprion Ocellaris clowns and one Chrysiptera Hemicyanea (yellow tail blue damsel). They were all introduced at the same time and have been in the tank together for over a year with no aggression problems. Not even a split fin. The clowns are way more aggressive than the damsel. I love the colors they add to the tank. I wouldn't add any more fish mass than this in a 20 gal. (some would say this is too much, but my experience has been very positive). Good luck with your downsizing!

cjm033
06/19/2002, 09:57 PM
i say a purple firefish or a longnose hawkfish how about a bangaii cardinal bicolor blennies are good just a few of my favs,Chris:):smokin:

cal3v
06/19/2002, 10:18 PM
Would something like an orchid dottyback and a fiji devil damsel be compatible? I hear the fiji devil damsels are farely docile, and I will still introduce it to the tank last. If these two fish will work, any other tankmates one can suggest to go with them? TIA.

lizbeth
06/20/2002, 05:00 PM
I'm glad this post is here, I'm trying to decide on stock for my 20 also.

I'm having trouble narrowing it down. I like Ocellaris clowns, Bangaii cardinals, fiji devil damsels and royal Dottybacks. Too many choices, too little space. The only thing I'm sure of is a couple cleaner shrimp, they are very cute.

Will
06/21/2002, 07:52 PM
seahorse LOVE small tanks!
fourhand2

RooFish
06/22/2002, 03:22 PM
Sixline wrasses, bicolor blennies, small clowns, small gobies, and damsels are the most popular in nano reefs (I think?) I personally hate damsels with a passion, so I wouldn't put one (non clown or chromis) in any tank that wasn't for some specific reason, like food for a picky carnivore. Other than that, any smallish fish should be okay as long as it doesn't swim too much.

Kites315
06/28/2002, 01:24 AM
In my 25gl, i have a pair of false percs, a purple firefish, and a dusky jawfish, all getting along just fine. I had a pygym angel for almost 10 months, and one day, i just foudn it dead, could see any signs of anything wrong. The purple firefish was adding after the pygym died btw.

Kyle

Freckles
06/28/2002, 03:26 AM
In my 20g, I have a clown and a blue damsel.

Dionaea
06/28/2002, 08:01 AM
Some other choices: here's what's in my nano- 10g, running since December...

Yellow Neon Goby (small, unintrusive, common...)
Scooter Blenny (very cool, eats frozen food unlike mandarin bretheren, lots of personality)
Royal Gramma (colorful, doesn't hide, very curious, stays small)
and finally, the coolest fish in the universe, the fish that makes other fish avert their gaze in his splendor...
the Yasha Hashe goby (Stonogobiops yasha, Whiteray Shrimp Goby, picture follows...)

Before we laugh heartily at the quality of my photo, it was taken with my Intel Easy PC Webcam, so it's not my fault.