PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Montis

SueQ
09/13/2006, 08:36 PM
Anybody got any green or purple montiporas they'd like to trade or sell? I've been trying to find that green w/ purple tip and white polyped one. I'd love to have that one:)
Besides offering $$, I just fragged up a couple silver gorgonians (photosynthetic ones) I can trade.

Frag or whole coral, let me know whatcha got :rollface:

Mr James
09/13/2006, 10:58 PM
Look at you Miss Montipora!! Are you wanting digitatas or encrusting or capricornis?? I may frag up some of my red/pink encrusting. Maybe Mike will let me borrow his band saw?!?

IslandCrow
09/13/2006, 11:18 PM
Aquaria in P-cola had a green Monti cap last time I was there. It didn't have the purple tips, though. I just picked up my first monti (first SPS for that matter), but it's an orange one. . .and not quite ready for fragging anyway.

TheGriffin
09/14/2006, 09:17 AM
James, I have a portable tile saw that would work really well (ever see the Borneman fragging video). I could bring it to the meeting at the gulf and we can cut stuff up.

As I was telling Suzi, I have some of the Monti Cap thats green w/ purple rim & white polyps that I got from the mobile meeting. If she cant find a peice in the short term I was going to let her have the first frag. I also have Orange and Purple. The monti caps grow extreamly fast and are easy to frag. If yall get some other colors we could all trade to get a good variaty. I would love some of the red or green apple colored. :strooper:

** note : they typicaly grow so fast that people are constantly having to break them back (or break by accident) so you can usually get them from reefers for free or a measily $5) **

SueQ
09/14/2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I think I've found my reef addiction:p I found the tri-colored one I really want.

I'm looking for digi, caps, and encrusting. Anything neat. Griffin-I did get your message and thanks:)

Mr James
09/14/2006, 08:56 PM
This isn't a monti but I may frag it up, mount them and bring some to the meeting:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7762rc_brain1.jpg

Here are my monti's I got from Griffin (the colors are a little skewed because I used the "auto-adjust" buttom to correct my poor camera taking skills):

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7762rc_montis1.jpg

And then there is my prized encrustin montipora that I rescued from certain death at Fish Biz (again, sorry for the crappy pics)(I need to borrow somebody who knows how to use a camera and take some shots of my corals):

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7762rc_encrusting1.jpg

Mr James
09/15/2006, 07:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8143556#post8143556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheGriffin
James, I have a portable tile saw that would work really well (ever see the Borneman fragging video). I could bring it to the meeting at the gulf and we can cut stuff up.

Does it have a thin blade or is it the big disk wheel?? Regardless, maybe you can bring it and we could cut some corals at my house before or after the meeting.

TheGriffin
09/15/2006, 09:29 AM
Its just one of the wet table top tile saws like this http://www.constructioncomplete.com/cc/images/items/b_TileSawWetSawTileSaws12inLengthCuttingCapacity-FelkerFTS70.jpg

The blade is probably less than 1/8" thick. We can put salt water in the reservoir and it would make a nice clean cut that can heal easily.:strooper:

IslandCrow
09/16/2006, 09:18 PM
I think the tile saw will work much better than my scroll saw. The more I think about it. I may try it out anyway on my scroll coral. . .just for fun. I'm thinking about cutting it up completely. There were a couple areas that died off soon after I got it, and they look pretty ugly.

TheGriffin
09/16/2006, 09:43 PM
I will go ahead and bring it. James, are thoes montis growing fast? I am fixing to get a calc reactor for the tank at the house and I bet thoes guys grow like mad with proper calcium.

Mr James
09/16/2006, 09:59 PM
Yeah Griffin, they are moving along. Maybe the orange/red faster than the purple.

SueQ
09/16/2006, 10:08 PM
You guys should see the monti I scored Friday from Aquariu (???) The place on Texar.
I got a green w/ lavender rim monti cap, pretty big for $35!!

Mr James
09/16/2006, 10:39 PM
Hey Suzi, can you post some pics of it??

SueQ
09/17/2006, 08:25 AM
I wish I could but Jamie took the camera w/ him on his latest trip. BTW- the BTA is doing great!!

Mr James
09/17/2006, 02:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8162935#post8162935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SueQ
BTW- the BTA is doing great!!

Good to hear.

60Cubed
09/21/2006, 12:01 AM
monti cap is my most favorite coral on the planet. i once had greenw/ purple pollyps. it was the most beautiful cap you'll ever set your eyes on! i have a friend that lives in the pan city area.

lance

60Cubed
09/21/2006, 12:04 AM
forgot to finish my sentence. my friend in PC has a 380 reef. has large cap colonies. said he would frag me some pieces when i am ready. has a lot of different ones. purple green etc.
lance