PDA

View Full Version : How is this lighting for a Ten gallon nano...

Rock Anemone
06/11/2002, 10:30 PM
2-36 watt PC's bothy 50/50's

How long and wide are the 36 watts??? Can I fit 3?

I plan on keeping some light loving corals.

Thanks! :)
Rock Anemone

Avi
06/12/2002, 12:02 AM
36 watters would do nicely!

i have no clue how long they are

SLOreefer
06/12/2002, 03:03 PM
i think they are about 17" long. if you work at it i think y9ou could retro 3 in there. a manufacturers website woul have the exact dimensions but i think each bulb is about 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 wide.

HuBu
06/12/2002, 03:22 PM
fitting 3 into a 10 gal is not recommended IMO because you wont have room on the back of the tank for things like a HOB filter. try to get other bulbs than 50/50. it depends on what kind of color you want to see in the tank. if blueish then go with 65k and an actinic 03. or even more blue...actinic 03 and a 50/50. more white...50/50 and daylight.

kennerd
06/12/2002, 03:47 PM
36 watters will be fine in that space.

If you have a proper hood,the triple can be done. I have custom hoods made by a fellow nano-reefer as a favor. The sides wrap around the entire tank, and overlap the lip by about 1/2", with corner blocks inside to support the hood., and they are 5" tall. Also, with the additional height, you can more easily install fans. See this pic for a view of what they look like.

I have installed a CSL 2x32 retro kit into the hood, but found that three bulbs will fit within the constraints of the supplied reflector, so I set it up that way. As long as your hood is tall enough, there shouldn't be a problem with other equipment. I think that's the key.

My intention is to try to fool around with adding a true actinic bulb to the setup, in addition to the dayl;ight & csl ultra-actinic bulbs already in there & swapping around with them and smartbulbs until I find the ideal color.