PDA

View Full Version : Refugium question

BarryF
06/11/2002, 08:20 PM
I just purchase a 7 gal mini-bow from Big Al's online store. I'm pretty excited.

I had the notion of adding a 5g refugium ABOVE the tank in another compartment. Now, let's consider the minimum gph that I would need to successfully run this. Please see attached diagram.

I have many questions that are included with the diagram. I appreciate your time in helping me answer them.

Statistics:

Main:
7 gal Mini-bow
32W retro-fit CSL
Aquaclear filter w/o media (still iffy...probably not if circulation isn't a problem)
Maxi-Jet 600 for circulation

Refugium:
5 gal acrylic
13W Realux 8k/12k
Gravity fed to main tank
?? powerhead maxi-jet 400 to refugium from main
Is that enough circulation for the refugium?

Thanks!

Vixyswillie
06/11/2002, 08:28 PM
Can't really comment on the refugium, Barry, but I'm also setting up a 7g AGA Mini Bow. Based on questions I've asked, I'd cut your DSB down to about 1" or so. In a tank that small, it's not going to be terribly functional, anyway - and it will only take up vertical real estate you'll probably wish you had later.

Just my $0.02. Good luck!:D

BarryF
06/11/2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Vixyswillie
Can't really comment on the refugium, Barry, but I'm also setting up a 7g AGA Mini Bow. Based on questions I've asked, I'd cut your DSB down to about 1" or so. In a tank that small, it's not going to be terribly functional, anyway - and it will only take up vertical real estate you'll probably wish you had later.

Just my $0.02. Good luck!:D

Yes, I've read similar things. When I use the term DSB, I guess I use it loosely. :o I just want to make sure I have enough LS to keep the critters happy. :D

kennerd
06/12/2002, 12:32 PM
I do agree that bulkheads are the way to go to prevent a back-siphon nightmare.

Although I am nowhere near an expert on how much powerhead you'll need, one important piece of information is missing from your diagram: The height from the tank to the refugium. I think the proper term is "head pressure" Basically, a powerhead's gph rating is based in just sittnig in the tank & churning away.

If the powerhead is attached to a line that is moving water upward, there is a certain amount of back pressure that gravity & weight puts on the water, and therefore will slow the gph rating on the powerhead based on the distance the water has to travel. Longer tube means more water, more weight. Powerhead head pressure ratings graphs can be found in the instructions or on the box of the powerhead you purchased or will purchase.

Hope I explained that well enough. I'm sure someone else might chime in on this. Here's alittle exerpt from an email I received about an overflow I had purchased to do a similar thing:

OK first the rio 1700 is rated 642 gph at 0 ft head,and 352gph at 4ft head,but dont forget the 90 degree bend,this reduces about another 100gph so I would figure a flow at 4 ft at about -250gph

tyesmithND
06/13/2002, 01:34 PM
Kennard'd comments are perfect. Just measure how far the water needs to travel and then get online and check out the specifics for different brands (no rios). Just remember its better to error on the side of too much flow vs. not enough...

I hope all is well

Slartibartfast
06/13/2002, 10:36 PM
Another issue -- I don't think your refugium has to be completely higher than the main tank. You just need to have the return higher. That might help you get a little more compact setup

BarryF
06/14/2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Slartibartfast
Another issue -- I don't think your refugium has to be completely higher than the main tank. You just need to have the return higher. That might help you get a little more compact setup

Yes, the diagram was merely for space purposes. The actual refugium will be nearly parallel with the tank, on the left hand side w/ the return piping at approximately a 30 degree angle.