PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock looking Not So Live

Lago
06/10/2002, 01:01 PM
Hi all...April 28th I started up a 75gal tank, 4-5 inch DSB, early May added 10+ lbs of LS courtesy of Brian @ Atlantis, a few days later added three medium sized pieces of LR bought from LFS to get my feet wet so to speak. Everything seemed like it was coming along...had good red coraline that even spotted my sand bed here and there, a diatom bloom that ran it's course, and now the LR looks "bleached" or encrusted with a white powdery substance. I can see coraline on the under side of the rock which leads me to think it may be a lighting issue??? I'm running 4 URI White/Actinic on an IceCap. My nitrites are zero and my Ammo is .25 according to AP test kit. I have not seen a spike in any of my readings since I started this...could THAT be the problem? I was planning on adding the rest of my LR soon but I'm worried I will destroy it. Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

--Lago

TrippingBilly
06/10/2002, 01:15 PM
Hi Lago, the color of coralline algae is very often related to the intensity of light present. For example, in medium lighting situations, you may witness more purple coralline growth, and with more intense lighting such as MH you will see more pink. I am sure there are other factors too but this is one I have noticed to be the most prominent.
TB

forbze16
06/10/2002, 05:19 PM
Lago,

What's your calcium (CA) at?

If its lower than what the coralline is used to it will turn white- almost as if starving.

Let us know what the test says, if you don't have one then you should get one soon. Salifert makes a good one.

Its a start.

Dave

Rovert
06/10/2002, 06:49 PM
Dave, you say your Ammonia is .25? That suggests your cycle isn't totally complete, or it's just kicking through a second, reduced phase. That can affect your coralline. Give it some time to settle in. Other than the other suggestios made, be sure your circulation is adequate, temperature is OK, and alkalinity/pH is in balance opposite calcium.

Lago
06/10/2002, 08:04 PM
Looks like I need some more tests! I don't have a calcium or alkalinity test. Circulation is just the return (Mag 18) and a Power Sweep (the biggest one they make), do I need more? The tank is pretty much wide open. I'll post a pic. Thanks all for your help.

Lago
06/10/2002, 08:21 PM
I have a LR pic but the site keeps refusing to let me post it? I'll try later...thanks.

coachgail
06/10/2002, 08:31 PM
After you get your calcium readings set, try varying your light cycle so that differnet types of corralline grow. I am trying that on my 58 and am getting green, pink, purple, and red corraline growth right now.

Lago
06/10/2002, 09:16 PM
Here's a decent shot. You can kinda see the WHITE top and DARK (red) underside.

Gail...How are you varying the light cycle? 10 hours for a week then 12 hours etc??

coachgail
06/11/2002, 09:39 AM
Nop! i am using a weekly timer that goes 4 on 4 off, 6 on 6 off, 10 on 10 off, 12 on 12 off, etc. Just experimenting since I had to break the tank doan and move everyone except for a pair of Clarki Clowns (have another one in the 180, so didn't want to take chances.). I will post a picture as soon as the water clears. Just added 50 lbs of sand.

geoffgarcia
06/12/2002, 08:18 AM
Lago,
sup dude! do you have a turkey baster? try blowing some water on that rock and see if that white stuff flakes off. Its tough to tell from the pic, but it kinda just looks like sand to me?

Lago
06/12/2002, 10:38 PM
Geoff...It DOES look like sand but it's not. You can't see it from my pics but some of the upper sections are turning almost OD green. I'm not too worried anymore. It seems it's just a constant state of flux with these systems. I'll give it another month or two to stabalize and if all looks OK then add some more rock. I am however a little concerned that the sand may harden due to lack of sifting critters. Maybe I'll add a Fighting Conch or that DSB Activator from IPSF....what are your thoughts? Thanks for the input!

--Lago