PDA

View Full Version : New to Nano Reefs/Saltwater

Lord_Brownie
06/09/2002, 07:07 AM
Hello everyone,
I have decide to start my first salt water tank, a 10 gallon nano-reef. Everyone's help in how I should do this is greatly appreciated. I currently have 10 gallon tank, one power head rated @ 84 gph, an hang over the back power filter (brand/rate?), a CF light (one side actinic-9watts and daylight 5000k27 watts, I might be recalling the watts wrongly), 50 watt fully submers. tronic heater. I set up the tank with tap water and the PH/power filter to check for water leaks and to view the flow rate. It looks like I need a second powerhead to get the water moving enough; the one I have barely moves the surface of the tank. If I get a second PH what would be the best way to set it up? One low in tank and the second on a spary bar is the first idea that comes to my mind. What else do I need to add before set-up? Also, I would like to get several books for ID and care specs. on Corals, clams/scallops, and fish. For years I have used Dr. Axelrod's mini atlas, is there similiar books for saltwater creatures (hopefully with more detail though.)
P.S. I love these measage boards, lots for me to read about while I am at work.
LB

absolutc
06/09/2002, 06:11 PM
Welcome to REEFCENTRAL!

Nanos are so much fun! I would like to say something on your lighting tho - 5000k light is not effecient for a nano. You want 6.5k or HIGHER. Other than that, everything looks good :)

Lord_Brownie
06/10/2002, 02:09 PM
Thank you for your reply. What XXXXX k should I look at for lighting then? I could easly add in anther light, but not a MH type (I cant afford to have anther heater :)
Thanks for you time,
LB

SLOreefer
06/10/2002, 07:56 PM
for the bulbs get anyting at or above 6500 i personally like 10000the best. if you added another 36w bulb on there you could keep just about any corals. that would be cool...

HuBu
06/10/2002, 08:24 PM
i would go with 1 daylight. 65k and 1 actinic. try to make it actinic 03 instead of the "blue light."

kjazlaw0
06/10/2002, 08:47 PM
with those wattages i would definitely go with the 10k. the 6.7k will make your tank look brighter, but more yellow. the 10k will give it a crisper, bluer look i'm guessing is more desireable. then again, lighting's just about personal preference anyway.

Lord_Brownie
06/11/2002, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the help. Lighting has been the only headache so far-so many options/restrictions. I will look for 10000k light, I already have a compact flor. with a bulb, but purphaps some more research will reveal the best solutions. Right now I am just planing for the live rock and sand. I cann't plan on any creatures until I get some books in mail later this week.
LB

gregt
06/11/2002, 08:27 PM
Lord_Brownie,
[welcome]