PDA

View Full Version : victory!

Sangogo
08/31/2006, 08:40 PM
...sort of.

I got home early last night (10 pm), so I was looking at the tank while feeding everyone some frozen plankton. I saw a tiny weird head sticking out of a rock. Well, there was my mantis (one of them anyway, don't know if I have more).

I tried to squirt stuff in, but he ran to another rock, which (I thought) would be moveable and allow me to take him out.

After knocking over a bunch of rocks, I have a tiny yellow mantis in a small container. (My mom says she wants me to feed it so that it can be dinner. Not sure if she's kidding or not.)

The upside: one mantis is out.

The downside: I had to rearrange all my rocks.

The upside: rearrangement means I could flatten out surfaces for better placement of corals.

The downside: it never looks as good after you rearrange it and now I have almost no sandbed exposed.....

The upside: I think I am out of upsides.

The downside: detrius. I hope I didn't start another cycle of some sort.

I seriously hope that was the only mantis in there.

jeffb3t
09/01/2006, 01:56 AM
Tell your mom to pet it... She'll want to get rid of it for sure!

hot4teacher
09/01/2006, 02:09 AM
I've had 4-6 mantis in my short experience with saltwater (a year?) I knew I had a 3 coexisting in a small 12gallon nanocube, but there was a fourth that had gone unseen for about 5 months.

I got this one at Cainz and was a real site to see! Lost it do to unknown reasons (I suspect something to do with the mysis I was feeding it).

http://www.backyardbullet.com/danamantis.jpg

Dana

Sangogo
09/01/2006, 07:41 AM
ok . . I found the other mantis . . . the one that I called Jeff about months ago. I was hoping I imagined it since I hadn't seen it again. But nope . .. . saw a weird head between two rocks and then a huge body jumping between two rocks. I had to trap my shrimp and put them in a small breeding container within the tank since they kept walking into the newly set up trap. We'll see if this works. :/

vest0830
09/01/2006, 10:52 AM
i found a claw in my tank tonight. I will post pics in the morning. the claw was about the size of a quarter.

Sangogo
09/03/2006, 09:17 AM
what type of claw was it? Crab?

And I found another small mantis that ran away.... goddam, how many are there?!