PDA

View Full Version : Nano-Reef.com Tanks for Sale ?'s...

Pseudo Gregoree
06/08/2002, 01:14 PM
Does anyone have expierience with either of these tanks (http://www.nanoreefaquaria.com/aquariums.htm), and can someone tell me what exactly is the difference between the two?

what else is needed hardware wise to setup a good nano?

Just a little background, I am switching from a 75 gal reef because they dont allow big tanks in my dorm anymore...

Let me ask a few more questions, is the light setup acceptable on those tanks?

Would 15lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of sand be a good setup for those?

and any advice on sea anenome's in nano tanks? The main reason i ask, is because i have two in my tank now and would hate to trade them...

thanks for the help in advance
Greg

BristolWorm
06/08/2002, 01:43 PM
I'm in the process of planning one of these size tanks too. I had a 180gal with 110gal sump.

I got the 7gal Oceanic Bowfront and am planning on some HQI MH lighting. I think the lighting in these is a little 'weak'.

The other thing I wonder about with these is the refugium, how big it is and is that part of the 7.5 gallons.

I was thinking of using the CPR refugium (12in one) and setting up a miracle mud filter in it.

davsreef
06/08/2002, 01:55 PM
BW, I believe that reefcorner has gotten one of these tanks, if I remember right they had 5g tank and 2.5g refug You might want to check back a couple of weeks in the forums.

Hope that helped and I also hear chris there.
Dave

Christopher Marks
06/08/2002, 04:43 PM
[edited]

Pseudo Gregoree, give me a call at ********* and we can discuss which system will fit your needs best, and I can answer any other questions you might have.

smy168
06/09/2002, 01:15 AM
I just moved my 7.5 Gallon nano into a 54 Gallon corner, here's some specs......
Filtration:
I small Bio-Wheel with a little calcium reactor and a piece of LR and Algae
50 Watt sub-heater
2 mini-jet powerheads
2x32 Watt PowerCompacts (retro)
Live Filtration:
20 lbs of Live Sand
15 lbs of Uncured Live Fiji (had a friend that went with cured and his tank had issues with Nitrate, I don't know why)
Cycle:
4.5 weeks before the water was right
Fish:
Red Lipped Blenny
Percula Clown
Orange Shoulder Tang (my reason for upgrading)
Corals:
Candy Cane
Hammer
Polyps (star,green,daisy)
2 seperate pieces of Sea Mats (orange,green,blue,purple)
Mushrooms (Metallice Green, Red)
Bubble Gum
Leather Corals (Basic,Finger)
Critters:
Hermits (blue,red,left)
Snails (bumble-bees, astrea)
Nudibranch (Lettuce)
Tons of BristleWorms
5 Speghetti(spl?) Worms (these guys are great!)
2 Purple Porcelain Crabs
2 Peppermint Shrimps

You can say that this seems like overload but, this was a great tank with very little maintenance. Bi-Weekly water changes of 2 gallons, Kalk drip 3 times a week, fed once a day. I didn't use a skimmer because I kept Algae in the filter to replace it. It all seems to run pretty smoothly.

ReefCorner
06/12/2002, 10:20 AM
I just received my tank for Nano-reef.com on 5/14/02.

I am very happy with the tank. I purchase the top-of-line tank with the refugium.

I had some modifications to the orginial setup.

I add a 13 watt actinic light for the dusk/dawn .
The refugium is 9 watts daylite.
The main tank is 32 50/50 smartlite.

The tank composition is:
Main tank: 5 gallons
Refugium; 2 gallons
Sump and filteration 1 gallon.

Check with Chris for the exact gallons.

The only problem is that the tank gets hot.
Temp range at night 79-81 and day time max 83-84.

Check my thread "Waiting for Nano Tank".

smy168
06/12/2002, 02:20 PM
Check out this chiller for Nano tanks!!!!

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ch_microchiller.asp?CartId=

Technology is a great thing!

ReefCorner
06/12/2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by smy168
Check out this chiller for Nano tanks!!!!

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ch_microchiller.asp?CartId=

Technology is a great thing!

I have a IceProbe MiniChiller on the tank. And the tank is still running hot and a external table top 3 inch fan.

The lights and room temperature about 85 cause the tank to run hot.

If I put the a/c on the tank cools down to 80.

I have IceProbe chillers on all my nano tanks.

HuBu
06/12/2002, 09:31 PM
BristolWorm: the lighting on the 7.5 gal is enough for that size of tank. its not what you would consider "weak" when compared to other nanos. taking into consideration that you are putting a MH on your 7 gal nano, i might have to say thats kind of "strong" for a nano.

Pseudo Gregoree: the lighting is adequate for that tank size. 15 lbs of LR in a 7.5 might be too much, but then again it would depend on the kind of LR you are planning to buy. but i know that 20 lbs of LS is too much for that size of a tank. i have a 10 gal with 15lbs of LS, my SB is about 1.5" thick. IMO, keeping an anenome inside a nano will limit what kind of corals you can put it in since the anenome will move around and might sting the other corals. then again, the sea anenome will definitely get big. possibility of it getting too big for the nano to handle is great.

Mod: Chris didnt not break any rules. your rules are just plain and simple.

"You agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. You will be responsible for, and indemnify and hold harmless Reef Central and representatives against, any claim arising from any material that you post or transmit. We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you."

"You acknowledge that Reef Central DOES NOT control the information available on the message boards, chat rooms and other user and member-generated pages and that any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers or other information or content presented or disseminated on any bulletin board."

So back off.

BristolWorm
06/12/2002, 10:09 PM
Nice thing is we are all entitled to opinions. And mine is that I wouldn't want a single 32watt PC bulb over a tank that size for that price. So in my opinion, 'weak', for what I want to keep. Maybe I should have stated that first.

And please don't turn my iffy on 'weak' into "sarcasm".

HuBu
06/12/2002, 10:42 PM
"And please don't turn my iffy on 'weak' into 'sarcasm'."

you know well that thats not what i meant.

chess_wizard
06/12/2002, 11:36 PM
I would agree that the lights on chris's 7.5gal units isn't enough for say good or exelent SPS coloration but it would be fine for most if not all softies and LPS. personally i would get the 7.5 minibow and put the same light in it cause i like the bowfront style more than the rectangular. However, placement of the indavidual specimen is they key.

Lunchbucket
06/13/2002, 01:09 AM
i don't think 1x32 or 36 is enough...softies and some LPS yeah but NOT SPS!! heck i had 2x36 and it didn't work too bad, now i have 1x70w HQI MH and 1x36 03 PC actinic and am upgrading to a 150w HQI maybe w/ the 03 pc too!

Lunchbucket

BristolWorm
06/13/2002, 08:33 AM
Hubu.. funny thing about message boards, you can only read. I had no idea what you meant.

I'm torn between the 150watt and the 70watt. How much is heat a problem with the 70watt? I won't have the option to hang this over the tank by a foot or more. But I think that a nice SPS/Clam tank this size would benifit from at least 70watts of intense light and a supplemental atinic. That's a lot of light sure, but it is easy to provide.