PDA

View Full Version : Diving for Fish and Softs

Tlytell
08/29/2006, 08:30 PM
I do a good bit of diving localy and in the Keys. Let me know if you are looking for something specific. If I can find it (and catch it) you can have it. Currently I am keeping Harlequin bass, Belted sandfish, Clown wrasse, Blue head wrasse, Yellow wrasse, Butter hamlet, + black urchin (short spine- the legal ones), star fish.

I havn't pulled any soft corals yet. Still trying to get a handle on whats legal to collect, and whats not.

coralfarmer84
08/30/2006, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure whats legal or not but I'd def be interested in some ricordias mushrooms if you come across any. I'm not sure what else would be reefsafe in this area.

Tlytell
08/30/2006, 04:01 PM
Mushrooms would be nice, I havn't seen any.... yet. I am planning on pulling a gorgonian sea whip next time I am out. I do know that the Sea fans are off limits. If I pull any shrooms, I'll let ya know.

coralfarmer84
08/31/2006, 12:44 PM
cool what kind of fish are there to chose from.

Aquarist20
08/31/2006, 03:19 PM
Hey guys, depending are where you go there are lots of critters you can puck from the water. Lots of angels out here in the Gulf. Most fish would not be appropriate for a reef tank but you could always try if you get a small juvenile.

Anyway here is a link you might find usefull!
Recreational Harvesting Info (http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm)

Tlytell
08/31/2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks, thats a great website. I have seen it before. I still have a few questions. As far as common fish, locally we see a lot of Belted sandfish (not found in store's btw), highhats, grey and blue/queen angels. butterflys (2 types). Those seem to be what would be popular. There are some wrasses , not sure of the types. Next time I go, I'll give some notice that I am going, and let you know what I get.

mduvall219
09/05/2006, 07:18 PM
yeah i see a lot of angels when i dive. there was a lot of algae the last time i dove though.

anyone else dive?

keinreis
09/15/2006, 02:48 PM
check this site it has all the laws

http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm