PDA

View Full Version : frags in Ontario..?

canuckreef
11/10/2000, 05:11 AM
i am just setting up my tank now..and in a short time will be looking to stock up on frags and ??

so i am wondering if anyone out there is doing frags in the
greater toronto area.. (cheaper and better than lfs.)

i want to preserve what we have in nature on the reefs..so by buying the frags here.. i can save maybe one or two corals out in the sea..!!

let me know.. what you have ..

btw my tank is a 55 gal reef tank with vho lites 3 or 4
tubes .. (not sure yet)
lots of nice looking rock..(dont know what type yet but dont want to use fiji)
and a protein skimmer..

that's it..

Fredfish
11/12/2000, 04:24 PM
Hi Canuck reef. I have a few Purple Montipora digitata frags and one small caulastria (candycain or trumpetcoral)frag available.

I have not found many Ontario reefers with sps frags.

Probably the best place is through the Marine Aquarium society of Toronto (MAST). They meet the second Wednesday of every month at the North York library on Young Street. They now run monthly auctions.

Let me know if you are interested in the two corals mentioned above.

Fred

canuckreef
11/12/2000, 06:15 PM
well i am a member of MAST.. so i know all about the auctions and i guess that is the method i will use to stock the tank...

thanks.

smokinreefer
11/13/2000, 02:48 PM
hey FREDFISH,
ever try shipping or mailing frags? i am in van. b.c. and would REALLY like a frag of your purple monti. ya think we could give it a try? please let me know.

Fredfish
11/13/2000, 06:12 PM
Smokinreefer.

I have never tried shipping (this is the first time I have frags available) but I would be more than happy to.

What do you suggest as the best method of packing and shipping?

Fred

smokinreefer
11/13/2000, 07:23 PM
well i dont have any experience with shipping either...hmmmmmm
i guess ill start a new thread and we can find out.
c-ya

ofthee
11/14/2000, 03:26 AM
I think shipping would not be too hard. Get some gladware cups, but make sure they seal pretty well. Find a 20x20x20 cm box and line it with sheets of styrofoam, many times you may find this shipping material at a computer store. This will insulate your cardboard box. An idea that just occured to me would be to super glue the frag to the gladware container.(this is to keep it from rolling around) THis is quick, and easy and when you need to remove the frag from the container, you can just cut the plastic cup with the frag on it, and put it in the tank. Then fill the cup with tank water, and seal the lid, put some news papers in the box to cushion the plastic container. You may want to add heating pads (hand warmers) to the box to keep it warm. I have naever tried this method, but it seems feasible to attach the coral in this manner so they wont roll and get damaged. REMEBER TO USE GEL SUPER GLUE when attaching, it makes life a whole lot easier, I have used super glue, and yes it works with no harm to the tank, just rember to slighlty dry the base of the frag before gluing it. Super glue gel takes only 15 seconds to dry, so the frag will barely know it was out of water. Try it, If you want to thank me for writing such a lengthy attempt for helping you out, just send a "test" frag to

640 Morris st.
Albany NY, 12208

I would extremely appreciative. (8^)

nerwin
11/14/2000, 05:37 PM
Fred Fish.. I'm in brantford, and interested in a frag.. any available still ?... how much.. please let me know..

Thanks
Nerwin