PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish in an 8 gallon

cj7jeep81
06/06/2002, 10:49 AM
I will be setting up my 8 gallon nano soon (hopefully next week), and was wondering about putting clown fish in there. I won't be putting them in for a couple months after it is cycled (with sand and live rock), so don't think I am rushing things.
Would a pair of Ocellaris clowns work? What about a pair of tank raised black and white perculas? Drs. Foster and Smith have some, and I think they look pretty neat. I have heard that ocellaris are easier to care for than true perculas, but does anyone have any advice to my choice?
Or, if neither would work, what would? Those would most likely be the only fish in there.

Rock Anemone
06/06/2002, 09:08 PM
I think a pair would work out great! You don't need a anemone to keep these guys happy a torch coral or leather coral will keep them happy!. :) I like the perc's more because they are so widely known and are the number oen choice and look so much more natural then most others. I am sure you could fit a type of goby in the tank with them or a cleaner shrimp. :) Hope you get some nice clowns!

Rock Anemone

cj7jeep81
06/07/2002, 07:41 AM
Sounds good. I am still unsure of which type of clown to get, but I have plenty of time to decide.

RooFish
06/07/2002, 11:53 AM
Percs and "black" percs are the coolest IMO.

Sounds like a good setup to me though.

cj7jeep81
06/07/2002, 12:42 PM
I really like the black percs, plus you don't see them everyday. Would I need to get a mated pair, or is it OK just to put two in at the same time?

PrEmNaS BiAcUlEaTuS
06/07/2002, 07:54 PM
If you put in 2 they would eventually develope a ranking where one becomes a female and one stays the subordinate male. I did this, it works great and is cheaper. The downside is sometimes the female gives the male such a beating he dies from injuries or bacteria form the injuries, or stress.:bum: