PDA

View Full Version : Took down the Big Boy and Planning a Nano

BristolWorm
06/05/2002, 11:33 PM
Had to downsize, but looking forward to a new challenge. I did manage to get an old 40gal setup (with nice MH lighting) as an SPS tank.

and... for the fun part...

I ordered a 7gal All-Glass bowfront for a Nano Reef.

My question is experience with lighting and what some recommendations would be.

1.CSL Smart Light Retro (32Watt)
or
2. 2X32Watt CSL Retro and get a ballast (I have a spare IceCape 660 and endcaps)

I would like to be able to keep sps and a clam or something like that but have real concerns about heat and evap. For evap I am considering a Vario Dosing pump. And for filtration a Prism, overkill but I could put it on a timer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

SLOreefer
06/06/2002, 02:27 AM
if you really want to keep sps i would recommend a 70w hqi. you could do it with the 2x32 but they would be merely surviving, not thriving. any clams will do ok under that lighting because thee size clam you are going to keep will be so small anywya. for filtration i wouldnt bother with the skimmer. it is a waist of money. just use a regular hob or a refugium. the stonies will grow much faster without the skimmer and you wont have to dose this tank with anything other than calcium. you just need to do weekly 10-15 percent water changes and you will be fine...good luck man

BristolWorm
06/06/2002, 01:44 PM
70watt HQI? that sounds intriguing. I've looked at some sites and smallest I see is a 150 pendant. Any idea where to get one of these?

I hear ya on the skimmer and what you are saying makes good sense. I will try it that way. Worst case I can take the prism on my 40 and run it on the 7gal once a week or so.

ohh this is going to be fun

Lunchbucket
06/07/2002, 09:51 AM
WELCOME TO THE CRAZY WORLD OF NANOS!!

sounds like a nice sps tank in the making.

i have a 70w HQI that i purchased from www.premiumaquatics.com. the 70HQI ballast isn't listed on thier site but they have it. i got a 150w HQI mini pendant (you just unscrew the lamp holders and move them to the inner possition they are made to do this. got the bulb from www.hellolights.com that is an Ushio bulb 10,000k but i have heard the aqualine buscke are whiter and better colored. if you do a 70w you will need some sort of actinic supplementation....well my eyes do :D

if you have any ?'s just ask i would be happy to help

70w HQI pics (http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82315)

Lunchbucket

absolutc
06/07/2002, 10:44 AM
Depending on the placement of your tank, I would do a 150w pendant!

Talk about your sps coloring up nicely! Now, keep this light at least 1foot from the surface. You should not run into any heat problems.

Good Luck!

BristolWorm
06/07/2002, 03:35 PM
thanks for the input. this is very helpful. The atinics with the 70watt MH look like they would be a great supplement.

man a 150 would be nice. I may have to toy around with that. I'm picking up the tank today and this is for my office at work which is yet to finished. I've got about a month to plan it out. Wanted to get a head start.

absolutc
06/07/2002, 03:44 PM
Well, the 70 plus supplimentation, you will probably pay more for. Also, it would not look as good as a single 150w pendant. Depending on what bulb you get, you won't need 03 supplimentation.

BTW, the 150w HQI DE 20k radiums, look sweet!