PDA

View Full Version : guys please help , cant find any help in the ceph forum , octopus?

marinerules
06/04/2002, 07:22 PM
I am really wanting an octopus for my 30 gallon tank ,

BUT I WANT A UNIQUE animal , and i prefer not to pay over $30 for it

everyone i have seen is ugly brown colro while on tv you see very pretty colors of octopus,

I was thinking about getting a blue ring, but they are so pretty that they are probably more than $30 ea.

so can someone recomend me a species that is pretty and doens't cost over $30 or 35

Mustang
06/04/2002, 07:31 PM
Your Joking about the Blue Ring right!!

If you coundn't get help there I doubt you will get any here

You didn't even try to post over there from what I can see

marinerules
06/04/2002, 07:37 PM
man ou sure do assume alot , I have tried along time to get Octopus information on the ceph forum, and i get more resonses when i post here than over there cause a bunch of peopld dont' even visit the other forums, no i'm not joking about the blue ring, I think it would be cool to say you ahve something very posionous

Rudiger
06/04/2002, 08:10 PM
Hi, im from the ceph forum. Perhaps a moderator could move this post over there? Im sure you will get reponses. Anyway, info on the blue ring: Its color is also "ugly brown", it only shows pretty colors when it feels threatened. If you want to see pretty colors a lot you will have to scare it all the time, in which case it will stress and die. I would suggest the species O. Bimaculoides for you. Yes it is brown, but believe me, once it is in your tank you will not care even the slightest of what color it is. Its behavior will amaze you.

pat

iceman716238
06/04/2002, 08:16 PM
If you really want a blue ring, you need a smack in the face and some water thrown on you. THEY WILL KILL YOU.:eek1:

marinerules
06/04/2002, 09:06 PM
thanks rudiger i will look into that species, how large do th ey get, do you know w here i can find some pictures

Nek
06/04/2002, 09:17 PM
You want to see some pretty colors?? Close your eyes and rub them really hard....

Kirtis---You are a danger to this hobby.

iceman716238
06/04/2002, 09:29 PM
Is this the same kirtis from reefs.org with the sharks?

dznuts007
06/04/2002, 09:45 PM
I've actually seen a blue-ringed octopus for sale at a LFS in Orange County for like $18 + 30% off. I'm fascinated by them, but I wouldn't buy it. The rest of you guys, if he wants one, lay off. I mean, I'm sure that you guys, like me would never think of getting one, but that doesn't mean flaming him would be appropriate just because he wants something dangerous? I mean, no one gives the Crocodile Hunter guy crap for doing stuff with dangerous crocodiles or venemous snakes. If he gets bitten by it, it'll just be a lesson learned, although no good will come out of it since chances are he won't be able to recollect on it...

Rudiger
06/04/2002, 10:29 PM
For info on the bimaculoides search the ceph forum. You should be able to find pictures at the ceph base. Go to google.com and do a search for ceph base, it has pictures of many octo species. You can also get a little info on bimac care from fishsupply.com. Check out the cephs in the inverts section. People say their bodies get about the size of a small lemon. You would need at least a 30 gallon tank, bigger is reccomended. Ask more questions at the ceph forum.

pat

SawCJack00
06/05/2002, 11:52 AM
Kirtis, get the blue ring and let it bite you. You'll see some really cool colors then!

ecugman
06/05/2002, 12:01 PM
Iceman,

Yep, one in the same! Always fun to follow one of Kirtis' threads, you never know what you might learn!!!

:uzi::eek2:

RandyM
06/05/2002, 12:21 PM
He want"s a bluering ,but dosent know a damn thing about them, it figures.:blown: :hammer: :uzi:

goodman770
06/05/2002, 12:38 PM
Marine,
Several things. First, I have not looked but would find it hard to believe that myself, or any of the Moderators in the Ceph forum would not answer you. Have you looked at the past posts in there? If you go back a month you could find just about any question you could want answered in there. I have both a reef and an Octo, so I'm all over the place.
Looking at your profile, posts, and your age (yes I'm profiling) you're going to do what you want anyway. Right? Not a flame, just being honest. Think logicaly here, would you want your first octo to have poison? I got TONS of help from the moderators in the board, they simply ask that you do a little homework yourself. Start by going here: http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/
Read it ALL, you're talking about a very interesting creature here that is not as easy to keep as a damsel.
Lastly, I have the recomended first Octo, a bimac. If you think this thing is boring or not exotic, then you need to get something from the Galopogus (sp?) Islands and have your pulse checked.
Do your homework, think a little (logic please) and enjoy the Octo.
Bill

OctoMonkey
06/06/2002, 07:50 AM
Hi all,

i'd like to add some points regarding keeping blue ring octopus. Okay so we all know that potentially it can kill us but there are other reasons why we shouldn't keep this animal or encourage its exportation from the wild....

It is a very short lived animal, 6 - 8 months is average life span and it is likely to already be an adult before you get it!

As Pat says, the animal only displays the "pretty colours" just as it's about to bite you, its normally drab.

They are very sensitive animals with many not surviving capture and transportation!

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/bluering1.html has a small piece by Dr Roy Caldwell who has worked with this animal in the past!

Kirtis, the last post you started here was about what species of cuttlefish was in the pic you found! If you post here you always get a reply! (even if it is to read back to a previous message)

C

cephalopoder
06/07/2002, 11:21 AM
Just a short sum up on blue rings.
1) Not very colorful unless stressed.
2) The max you will get out of one in captivity is about 3 months if you are very lucky.
3) They hide alot, so you seldom see them.
4) They are a small species very prone to escape.
5) They don't ship well.
6) They are deadly.

I would recommend a bimaculoides. A way better Pet!