PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn and Favia in 8 Gallon?

cj7jeep81
06/04/2002, 07:52 AM
Pretty self explanatory title, but would I be able to put a frogspawn and a favia in an 8 gallon nano (18.5" long x 10" wide x not sure how tall) with 2 32W PCs? Or would I have compatibility issues? If there are issues, would I be able to keep one of them? Also, what other corals would be well suited to go in there with them? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to do it right the first time.

Lunchbucket
06/04/2002, 08:11 AM
i would say yes you could. just make sure they have far enough between them so thier sweepers don't get at eachother. prolly put the favia closer to the powerhead side and the frogspawn on the other side....since frogspawn have longer sweepers IMO.

you could do about any softies...shrooms, zoos, leater, colt about any LPS canycane, open brain, bubble, etc. you just need to leave enough room inbetween

Lunchbucket

cj7jeep81
06/04/2002, 08:19 AM
I was hoping you would say that:) I am pretty new to reefs, and this would be my first reef setup. I have a 75 gallon fish only tank right now. I was planning on converting it to a reef, and doing a nano in a few years, but I won this tank so I want to use it. Plus, it will be much cheaper to stock this (in terms of live rock) than my 75. Thanks again for the quick reply.

chess_wizard
06/04/2002, 10:26 AM
I agree with lunch but you have the be aware of the sweepers, and you wont beable to keep as maby different corals because of the space needed for the sweepers.

cj7jeep81
06/04/2002, 10:41 AM
How much would the frogspawn limit me? I want to have a nice, full, colorful tank. I really like the frogspawn, but if it would take up too much space (and leave too much empty space), I would opt to leave it out and get others.

Playfair
06/04/2002, 02:43 PM
You should be able to do both of these and more, providing you get small coral specimens. I fragged a single polyp from my large tank over a year ago, and it's been fine in my 7gal, along with a baseball sized Favia on the sand.

cj7jeep81
06/04/2002, 03:04 PM
How do you frag it? Also, what are some good books on doing so. I have seen the term and know what it means, but don't know how to do it.

gas4544
06/04/2002, 03:36 PM
I have two favia in one of my 10-gallon nano's - one is 1.5" in diameter an the other is 5". I also have a small platygyra that sends out some 4" sweepers.

Playfair
06/05/2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by cj7jeep81
How do you frag it? Also, what are some good books on doing so. I have seen the term and know what it means, but don't know how to do it.

The best way I have found on the "normal" branching type of E.Divisa is to use strong scissors or wirecutters to nibble away at the base of a "branch". Once through the outer "hull", the honeycomb network of skeleton cuts quite readilly. Try to stat at least 2" from the living tissue to reduce the possibility of splitting the flesh if the branch shatters a little.