PDA

View Full Version : Starting New Nano - Advice Please!

Vixyswillie
06/03/2002, 09:38 PM
Hey All!

First off - CRIPES! Can't believe how many awesome setups, pics and suggestions I've seen from all of you!! I am WAAAAAAY jealous of your setups - sheesh! Hope you'll help me get on the right track, too.

I want to set up a 7g AGA Minibow at work. Here's the tentative plan... COMMENTS PLEASE! :D

7-8lbs LR
1-2" LS
1 70w HQI MH
2 DC micro fans
1 Aquaclear 301 PH (have 2 of them in "surplus supplies" :p)
50w Tronic heater

Couple of questions:

1. Is 1 PH enough circulation for the whole tank? Should I add a mini-jet/spraybar combo near the bottom?

2. Opinions on the lighting? Have seen a lot of 2x32 PC combinations out there. Is that preferred??

Thanks loads!

Patrick

SLOreefer
06/03/2002, 10:38 PM
well...if i had the money i would do the hqi. these lights are awesome. the 2x32 would limit you to mostly softies and lps. some people get sps to live but not grow and thrive. the 301 should be enought circulation but if it was my tank i would use two mini jets. one on a spray bar and one on the back of the tank. the 301 is a very large box(imo) for a 7 gallon tank so i think 2 small pumps would be better than 1 large pump. depending on the porosity of your rock 7-8 pounds may be a little low. i have some fairly dense rock and have about 22lbs in my 10 gallon. but that is all a matter of self opinion anyway for the looks. your tank seems to be on the right track. good luck

Vixyswillie
06/04/2002, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the tips! Sounds like the HQI is the way to go. How far away from the surface of the water should a bulb like that be?

I'm pretty sure the 301 has an adjustable flow rate. Could try dialing that down - but maybe the mini jets are a better way to go. I think I like the spraybar idea, anyway.