PDA

View Full Version : Favorite LFS?

seanb
08/16/2006, 12:17 AM
So from Paso to Santa Maria, where are everybody's favorite LFS's?
I have only been to "Aquatic Adventures" in SLO, where they have relatively new management I am unsure about, but a few knowledgable people. I only wish their prices on dry goods/equipment were a bit lower.
I also frequent "Wet Pets" on grand in Grover/AG (I am never sure where one ends and the other begins). They have made me some good deals on an ASM G3 and a custom glass sump. the only knowledgable person there I have met is Joe, the owner (well co-owner, with his wife, Sheri).
Where else should I be visiting?

Wicked Punk
08/16/2006, 12:27 PM
I like Orcutt Aquarium in Old Orcutt. The Ocean Floor is nice but it is down in Goleta.

seanb
08/16/2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks Larry, I will have to check out Orcutt Aquarium. I think I have been to Ocean Floor last year on a trip to Santa Barbara. It seemed very nice. It's in that shopping center that didn't exist when I was a student at UCSB. I am starting to feel old.

Wicked Punk
08/16/2006, 11:22 PM
Tell me about it. None of that was there when I started college long ago :eek:

cjc_cali
08/18/2006, 12:25 AM
Lenny is pretty cool over at orcutt, they have a frequent shopper card, its handy since they are the closest LFS for me. but its been about a year since ive been to any north of Santa Maria, or south of Lompoc :(

Shagsbeard
08/18/2006, 08:17 PM
How's Paso area for LFS? I've never explored North of the grade.

Brewen
08/18/2006, 11:11 PM
Only place I have seen that is all right is in A-town (Atascadro) in the K-Mart shopping center. A full service pet store cats,dogs, rats etc with a section for a reef tank and salt water fish not that bad for the area.
There is one in Paso Robles with less of a focus on reef and salt water tanks.
My thought not that much of supply and demand in those area so most LPS do not carry much of a selection JMO.

seanb
08/19/2006, 01:28 AM
I think the place in A-town is called "All-Star pets" there is a store in SLO in the Marigold shopping center with the same name. They both seem to be a general pet store with a limited selection of reef and saltwater stuff like Brewen said.

D-Rod
08/19/2006, 10:53 AM
In Paso we have The Pet Depot :thumbdown not a good selection at all, Once in a blue moon they get something cool at an ok price otherwise it's way overpriced.
I popped in the other day to see if anything new and the only thing i found was another price increase, a bucket of salt goes for $87.00.
I've only had to use them once, and that was for a heater that died on me a few years ago, BP (Before Petco)
Otherwise i get ALL my dry goods online Including salt.

cjc_cali
08/19/2006, 11:07 AM
hows the shipping cost on salt? doesnt it equal out the price, or have i just been looking at the wrong vendors?

D-Rod
08/19/2006, 12:12 PM
I buy several buckets from Fosters & Smith when they have there no shipping charges on salt specials.

Otherwise with shipping it comes in at about $45 for 1 bucket.

D-Rod
08/20/2006, 02:24 PM
If you don't want to go the online ordering route, just print the online pricing for Petsmart and bring it with you.
Petsmart honors their online pricing from www.petsmart.com

I've done this at the Santa Maria store.
Especially for salt.