PDA

View Full Version : Starting new Nano

houseofha
06/03/2002, 08:35 AM
http://www.petmeister.com/store/product.asp?id=914

Starting a Nano Reef and wondering if this is a good lighting system of if anyone has used this type of light for anything.

My new plan:

10 Gallon Nano
Versa lid
Skilter 250 for filtration and skimming
50w submersible heater
"This lighting system"
12 lbs of LR
20 lbs of cycle sand
2 mini jet circulation pumps one for surface and one that I will make a DIY thingy to circulate the bottom

Any feedback on this would be great and most appreciated!

Salyers890
06/03/2002, 02:27 PM
i'm no pro, but i'd say lose the lid, the clamp should hold the lights far enough above the tank not to let temp be an issue, same w salt spray.

I've heard skilters are terrible, but never actually tried one.

I'd also say to lose the cycle sand (if you're talking about that pre-packed "live" sand. araga-live i think it's called. . . . .don't go for it. . .the live rock should seed the sand w enought bact. and critters, and if that's not enough, go to a LFS and buy a pound of either rubble LR, or LS. . .that should give you enough seed for your tank. . . . or even get ahold of some local generous reefers and ask for a donation cup of sand, they'll give it up
get the sand you like from the get-go, you DON"T want to have to change it later. (i love the fiji pink)

other than that, sounds great

HTH
Mike

houseofha
06/03/2002, 02:53 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I used cycle sand in my first FOWLR and it has been serving me well. I am using 1/2 cycle and 1/2 regular sand from the LFS.

I have heard great things about the skilter though, and thats why I bought it. I guess I'll see - worse case, I can use it somewhere else as a circulator or polisher - I guess we'll see.

I just bought the light and am psyched to have lighting ample (at least I think it is) for this new small project!

What about livestock - softies frags anenomes' etc!.

ANyone have a sense of that?

Jim

ThingsReef
06/03/2002, 08:22 PM
Skilter filter on my wife's 7 gallon bowfront with skimmer portion on full blast all night and weekends and no air during workday (due to bubbles) and a RIO 50 power head which is making a big difference 'cause the skilter did not produce enough flow.

Livestock,
1 emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp
3 conchs
1 clown
1 six-line wrass
snails
blue leg hermit crabs
Hawaiian Feather Duster

Almost forgot to mention that I'm considering the prizm skimmer but right now I don't want to change anything 'cause it's all working and looks great.