PDA

View Full Version : upset octo?

CalvinC4S
06/03/2002, 07:15 AM
Hello,
I noticed the octopus having a hard time the other night with its reflection in the glass. It was weird, I have seen it dark black befor but this thing went through a total shape change and attacked its reflection? I had a puffer that used to shadow box it's reflection too. Has anyone had a problem with this? Do you think it will over stress the Octo? As of now, I put a light on in the room when it is evening. This seams to take care of the mirror effect; but I do enjoy dark room and tank light only. ?thanks

OctoMonkey
06/03/2002, 02:01 PM
Hi

I had a similar problem a few months ago when two octos figured that if they went to a certain bit they could see each other and try for a fight. I stopped this by taping cardboard to the side of the tank.

If you do something similar, perhaps with one of those aquarium backgrounds the mirror effect wont happen. Of course that is only good for 3 sides.

The mirror effect sometimes confuses cuttlefish too as they try to catch the reflection of the food which is actually falling behind them. They never figure that out!

Is it the front panel you are having bother with?

Cheers
C

cephalopoder
06/03/2002, 06:01 PM
If it constantly bothers the octo it could be a source of stress. But octos are smart and might soon get bord of this as soon as it figures things out. I like to hold plastic cephs up to the glass with each species I keep and see what responce I get from different ones. It can get interesting.

CalvinC4S
06/04/2002, 07:49 AM
Well the mirror effect doesn't happen unless the tank light is on and the room is dark. I will give it another week to get used to it and if it is still attacking its reflection, I will alter the photo period.