PDA

View Full Version : For those I gave gorgonians too

coachgail
06/02/2002, 07:56 PM
Just thought you should know that I am having massive troubles with my gorgonians. May be because they were moved a few weeks ago to the 180 due to problems in the 58. Here is what I wrote askign for help earlier on another list. Right now, all but one peice looks really good. Hopefully, this massive surgery I just did will save what I ahve left. Went from about 1 foot by 18 inches of brances to about 6 by 6 inches now. Lost a whole lot. :
:( I hope this hasn't affected anyone else. Does this sound like a bleaching problem or a bacgerial infection? My water quality is excellent, so I am unsure what is going on. Nothing else is having problems.

Well, I was feeding the fish this afternoon and noticed that my gorgonian was white and I could see the sponge skeleton in a place. I had noticed a white spot yesterday and was keeping an eye in it. Today, the spot had spread to over 1/3 of the middle. The polyps and outer coating were flaking off to the touch. Some of the part next to the white were covered in a slime of some type. I am thinking a bacterial infection? Basically, I pulled it out of the tank. Cut of all the dead and affected areas, then cut off an inch to two inches more. As it was in the middle, I now have 5 pieces. The pieces are extending and seem OK. Is there anything else I should do? was I wrong to prune immediately? I wanted to take a picture, but felt time was of the essence and couldn't find the damn camera immediately.
Gail

gmh320
06/03/2002, 11:24 AM
Hi Gail,
The frag you gave me is doing fine. Usually gorgs are pretty hardy, I don't know what the problem could be, maybe stress from fragging, but this is unlikely. How different is the lighting going from one tank to the other?
Greg

coachgail
06/03/2002, 01:28 PM
PC's to VHO/Halides. I have it low and in a semi-shaded spot.
Gail

friedmani
06/11/2002, 07:05 PM
The one you gave me is doing fine.