PDA

View Full Version : Starting an 8 gallon Nano--Need Advice

cj7jeep81
06/01/2002, 09:12 PM
I got lucky and won Tenecor's monthly contest!!!! It is the Model 8 Flat Back Hex. It has power compact lighting (not sure the wattage) and a wet-dry filter. I am wanting to set it up in my office, and want some advice. Basically, what are some good corals for a tank this size? If my lighting turns out to be insufficient (I get it this week), I am going to upgrad to 2 32W PC lights.

absolutc
06/02/2002, 10:51 AM
Depending on your lighting, you will have no problems with mostly all softies -

Shrooms
Polyps
Zoos
Some leathers
Some colts

Macros
Snails
Shrimp
Crab

Basically everything you would normally put in a reef. Some reefers have had great success with LPS and SPS in their nanos. I know one of them is LunchBucket. Go to www.nano-reef.com and take a look at the MEMBERS TANK section.

It will give you a few ideas on what you can add and do's and dont's :)

Good Luck.

lizbeth
06/02/2002, 12:25 PM
Congratulations on your win!

It does depend on your lighting what you can keep. In my 5.5 with 26 watts pc I have green star polps, green button polyps, xenia, ricordia, green striped mushrooms and some unknown button polyps. All seem to be doing well.

Jeeps I know more about than nanos :). I drive an 83 CJ7 or an 83 CJ8 depending on which is running. ;)

ThingsReef
06/02/2002, 12:32 PM
I did a 7 Gallon bowfront nano for my wife and added a 2x32 watt PC hood from champion lighting. She has star polyps, yellow polyps, zooanthids, leather coral, green ricordia, anchor coral (small frag of mine), Organ Pipe (just added small frag of mine, not sure how it will do but should be fine), and a torch coral goes in tomorrow. That will about do it because of the whole territory thing and they are very carefully spaced (so I think???). I will say the 2x32's seem like alot of light and everything seems happy.

Almost forgot,
Skilter filter with skimmer portion on full blast all night and weekends and no air during workday (due to bubbles) and a RIO 50 power head which is making a big difference 'cause the skilter did not produce enough flow.

Livestock,
1 emerald crab
1 peppermint shrimp
3 conchs
1 clown
1 six line wrass
snails
blue leg hermit crabs
Hawaiin Feather Duster

cj7jeep81
06/03/2002, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas!! I imgaine I will be upgrading the lighting to 2 32 W PCs, but I will have to wait and see what it has in it.

cj7jeep81
06/03/2002, 10:20 AM
What about a Favia?