PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Dallas area - any Reef related places I shouldn't miss?

Mickey
05/31/2002, 10:32 PM
Hi folks. I will be down in Irving for a week on a business trip June 17-21st. Are there are reef related places in the area that I should definitely try to visit?

Some of my evenings will be free so I thought I'd take in some sights and I'm looking for suggestions. I live in New England and don't get down your way much.

thanks.
Mickey

tony
06/01/2002, 10:47 PM
Mikey,

There is a great place called Planet Pet on Harwood Rd and 183 East/West. It about 25 minute from Dallas. The place has great stuff if you want to check it out. Phone 817-285-8228
Tony

Heavenly Damsel
06/04/2002, 08:33 PM
We were in Dallas in March and visited the Dallas World Aquarium and the Imax Theater (saw Ocean Oasis). The theather is unique in that the domed ceiling is the viewing screen and the seats recline. Ocean Oasis puts you in the middle of a reef for about 45 minutes. You feel like you are diving. Was wonderful. The Dallas World Aquarium starts you off at the top of a Rain forrest, you walk down through it to the bottom floor through a tunnel aquarium to reef tanks of the different regions. Was great. Hope you enjoy your trip.

freelancing
06/04/2002, 08:40 PM
Mickey,

Are you looking for a place to just relax and look at a beautiful reef, or are you looking at a place to shop for hardware and/or livestock?

Mickey
06/11/2002, 08:58 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been away.

I am looking for a place just to look as I don't think I could get things home safely as I am leaving Friday night, then stopping in Nashville, and won't get home until late Sunday.

But................one never knows what I'll find that I absolutely must have.

I may check out the Imax suggested depending upon where in Dallas it is and how far it is from Irving which is where I will actually be staying.

thanks for the responses.

Mickey

freelancing
06/11/2002, 10:16 PM
If you just want to look, I highly recommend Dallas World Aquarium. It's located near the historic West End Marketplace, just around the corner from the famous Old Spaghetti Warehouse. Their web address is: http://www.dwazoo.com/ .

It's much more than just an aquarium. As you walk up to the ticket booth, there's a huge tank that's visible from the outside there are many beautiful African chichlids. When you walk in, it's like you're in a rain forest... there are birds flying right past your head, there's a water fall, trees and greenery everywhere. There are some monkeys that will get very close to you, but then run off. Some animals are behind plexyglass for their protection and for yours...everything from pygmy marmosets to a black jaguar.

They have enormous aquariums representing different oceans of the world... giant crabs from the coast of Japan to pipe fish and Weedy Sea Dragons on loan from Australia. They have a couple of Venezuelan manatees (a little different from the species in Florida) that are very inquisitive and will press their faces right up to the glass to see you. They are near sighted. There are big aquatic turtles in the tank and the manatees will hold on to them for a free ride and the turtles will play with them as well.

There are poison dart frogs, penguins, you name it... but it's so well presented, you feel like you're in a rain forest most of the time. They have a gift shop and a place to eat and it accomodates people on wheels (wheelchairs and baby strollers)... they have elevators for those areas that require a barrier to protect the animals. They have plenty of restrooms, so it's a pretty awesome place to spend anywhere from an hour to half a day. Some of the aquarium fish will be the same ones you see at PetCo or your LFS or even your own tank, but many will be some you may have never seen before. They got anemones so big, they wouldn't fit in my 140 gal tank. It's a great place to check out if you can and well worth the admission price. Since you're a tourist here, you may want to step into the Dallas tourism office to see if they have some coupons.

Have fun.

:)

DrkShadow
08/13/2002, 01:14 PM
What's the name of the IMAX theater? I called the Dallas World Aquarium and they said they dont have a IMAX. I'll be in the area tomorrow from OKC.

Thanks!

kbt
08/13/2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by DrkShadow
What's the name of the IMAX theater? I called the Dallas World Aquarium and they said they dont have a IMAX. I'll be in the area tomorrow from OKC.

Thanks!

The Imax is actually part of the science museum me thinks. Try:

http://www.scienceplace.org/

But the Oceans Oasis show is not playing anymore it doesn't look like.

The aquraium at fair park is right next to it, but I don't think that's the same as the world aquarium in Dallas. For the aquarium at fair park, see:

http://www.dallas-zoo.org/aq/aq.asp?page=aq

(Not that eye-popping, IMO.)

You can also try Dallas North Aquarium (www.dallasnorthaquarium.com). Just not really any great stores or anything in dfw that I've found.

Heavenly Damsel
08/13/2002, 05:02 PM
The IMAX theater is next to the other aquarium in Dallas. There will be a flyer at your hotel about it or ask the concierge. Also make sure to visit the sixth floor museum.....Kennedy was shot from there.
Have a safe trip.

despair
09/03/2002, 11:22 PM
i think theres an imax theater connected with a theater somewhere along lbj?..

mrcr4888
09/06/2002, 08:25 PM
U should realy check out planet pet.
IT is grate and is fairly close to where u will be staying I think.