PDA

View Full Version : Back from Cozumel

Aquatic Noggin
05/31/2002, 02:27 PM
Diving in Cozumel was fantastic. I did 14 dives in six days including a night dive. The Santa Rosa Wall was the best- drifting along a huge reef wall at 85'. Saw sea turtles, spotted sting rays, enormous lobsters, and several different species of morays. French angels 18" across! Lots of caverns and beautiful purple sponges and sea fans everywhere. I highly recommend visiting this island for unbelievable (and affordable) diving.:fish1:

kanankeban
05/31/2002, 06:54 PM
Cheap? :D

Cnidae
06/02/2002, 01:31 AM
Yah Cozumels great I've been there about 6 times. Did you check out Punta Sur?

G-money
06/04/2002, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I love Cozumel.

Personally, I preferred many of the shallower reefs - I believe the Palancar Caves / Gardens I found the most scenic and there was another shallow one near Yocab that was my favorite. I had the chance to do Punta Sur, but turned it down. Is it pretty cool or what? Santa Rosa wall IS cool though - there's nothing like that first glimpse over the wall. It changed my life!

Did you snorkel at all? I am curious as to whether the toursists have started to ruin Dzul-Ha yet like they did at Chankanaab...so sad.

As for price, it's been about a year and a half since I've been there - is the going rate still $50 for 2 morning dives? What operation did you dive with?

griss
06/10/2002, 02:02 PM
Those asking about diving prices,

Mrs Griss, Nanook, Mrs Nanook and I are going in July. A 2 tank dive at the Iberostar resort we are staying at runs about $70.

I cannot wait, seeing this thread has me daydreaming at work. Last time I was in Cozumel was 11 years ago.

Griss

G-money
06/10/2002, 10:59 PM
Hmm...wonder if it's gone up all around there? The going rate a year ago was $50, but perhaps you are going through one of those posh shops, eh Griss? ;) Are you renting equipment? Curious before I plan my next economy trip - I guess the Keys is only $50....

big red
06/11/2002, 02:27 PM
I usually stay at the Allegro but just received a note from a dive master in Cozumel stating that it has gone downhill the past couple of years. She strongly recommended Iberostar. It is one of the newest resorts on the island and is located very near the prime dive sites (no long boat ride!). Iberostar is located just down the beach from Allegro (~10 minute beach walk). While some parts of the Iberostar beach are rocky, you can walk just down the beach and have all the sand you want.
If anyone is looking for a personal touch to your diving adventure on Cozumel, I would be happy to forward the email of a dive master I give 5 stars. She is originally from California but has lived and worked in CZM for 9 years. She started her own personal diving business in Cozumel and will tailor your diving trip to what you want. The group sizes are smaller and you dictate the times/places to dive (you can avoid the morning and afternoon rush).

griss
06/11/2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Hmm...wonder if it's gone up all around there? The going rate a year ago was $50, but perhaps you are going through one of those posh shops, eh Griss? ;) Are you renting equipment? Curious before I plan my next economy trip - I guess the Keys is only $50....

Graham, no I am not renting equipment. Just using the dive shop at the hotel we are staying at.

Griss

lj1064
06/24/2002, 03:19 PM
Graham's right Santa Rosa wall (the first true wall I did) was amazing. The wall is so dramatic. Cruising along looking down at this beautiful reef 150 - 200 ft vis then nothing below you for 2000+ ft - truly felt weightless, don’t' miss it.

Have fun - I'm jealous