PDA

View Full Version : hey noobtank.

hooker18
08/07/2006, 07:28 PM
well you said you want my sump, you said you want tony's canopy, and you said you were going to buy james' lights. Whats up? you need to let us all know what the deal is. if you are not interested just let us know so we can find other buyers.

johnny

Mr James
08/07/2006, 10:25 PM
I have another local interested in my MH's. If you won the lotto and has gone into hiding, I think it's only fair that you buy me a 1200g reef tank.

noobtank
08/08/2006, 08:49 AM
everyone gets a call this afternoon at five sorry guys....

hooker18
08/08/2006, 11:14 AM
i will not be in so just let tony know whats up with the sump.

dxtr
08/08/2006, 03:45 PM
I fear the lights will be sold. =( no prob. if so, I can locate some elsewhere.

thankies

hooker18
08/09/2006, 05:11 PM
i fear they will not. it seems that noobtank does not want this stuff.

dxtr
08/11/2006, 01:39 PM
ok then.

What's the price for them?

I'll arrange with you both to pick them up as soon as I can.

thanks

dxtr
08/12/2006, 07:37 PM
hooker, thanks for your offer, however, the lights I have just installed from Mr. James have filled my canopy with the wonderful glow of Mh!! =) i so happy.

They are larger than I planned, so I do not have room for your 175. Thanks though. :(

hooker18
08/12/2006, 11:11 PM
ok thats good i was trying to think of how i was gonna tell you i changed my mind. i am just going to add the the new mh and leave the old one on there. dxtr you have T5 lights also? what ballast do you use for the t5s?

dxtr
08/13/2006, 09:31 AM
No t5's I have 4 - 110 watt VHO with icecap ballasts. Been doing real good so far and witht he 2 - 175's now, I'll be looking at some SPS's

hooker18
08/13/2006, 12:10 PM
oh ok

Mr James
08/13/2006, 01:08 PM
Whew!! I thought you were going to be mad at me Johnny. First the GBTA splitting and now this. One could see where you would be mad at me. kidding...

hooker18
08/13/2006, 03:02 PM
no man i was just joking about the BTA

SueQ
08/13/2006, 03:44 PM
Hey Johnny. I'va got T-5's. Mine are run on the advance ballast. Very pleased with them:)

Mr James
08/13/2006, 04:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7930339#post7930339 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dxtr
now, I'll be looking at some SPS's

I got corals from all three P'cola stores. Got some nice ones. Still ike Tim Nye's store the best and hope to visit again before he leaves. Aquaria has some colonies with our name on it. Four people splitting a colony ($60) would be $15 ea. Four colonies would leave us sitting pretty. Then it's a race to see who can grow them the best!!!

lizfrog007
08/13/2006, 06:49 PM
ok folks i am home......for a week...lol....then got to go back to selma and birmingham......oh well

i need some help.....i have a 55 gal tank, and i think i need another power head....i have one....can't remember what size...but i am sure i need another....what size do you think i need....i am looking at either maxi-jets....or hagen aqua clear or power sweep.....

and if i get my refregium (sorry about spelling)....set up i will need a pump to pump the water to it.....what size is needed for that....want to order both at the same time to save on shipping.....looking at foster smith.....

any help i will be most grateful.....

liz

SueQ
08/13/2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Liz! Welcome back! As far as recommendations go.... I have an Eheim 1260 return pump in my sump. I did a lot of researching and asking around on RC before buying it .I'm more than pleased with it, it doesn't add much heat to the tank, is super quiet and I think it's worth the extra $$. You might want to look at the 1250 or 1260, I can't remember the conversion on how to figure out what pump you'll need. I know either James or one of the guys will pipe up with it.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4604&N=2004+113041
Powerheads.... I was looking at the powersweep myself a couple weeks ago and was disappointed with the reviews I read. Apparently, it's a great idea, but it doesn't work well after a short time. Can't speak from personal experience, just relaying info. I've heard good things about Seio's powerheads and will probably go with them next go around b/c of what looks like a compact design.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12074&N=2004+113040
Again, hopefully one of the guys has had some personal experience with these items and can clarify things a bit more. Hope that helps:)

Mr James
08/13/2006, 09:18 PM
Stay away from the powersweep!! Ehiem's for return pumps are the best submerged pump I think. External pumps, that's a different story. Get a couple of Maxi Jet 900's and put them on a timer so they turn on and off. By far the cheapest and most reliable. Another route to go if you do a drain to a sump and back to the tank, if you want sweeping motion, is either a SCWD or a Sea Swirl. SCWD's do well on small tanks. I had one on my 20H and it did well. $20 (when I bought it). Used you could probably find something cheap. When you decide what you want, I could come over and help you set it up.

Now the last product Suzi referred to is what I just put in my tank. I traded my 4 x MJ1200's (plus wavemaker) for a pair of new Seio 1500's. 1500gph at either end of the tank and they stay on all the time. I am VERY happy with them. You will need a smaller one for your tank. I may add two more later or just go to Tunze's <-- that's a whole other subject - get the checkbook out and prepare to cry.

hooker18
08/13/2006, 09:28 PM
thanks for the input on the advance ballast. tony and i were looking at them the other day and i am trying to figure out where to put more lights. also can you give me some more info on you lights. how many watts per bulb? where did you get ballast? and overall watts? also is it true you need less watts if you are using t5s?

SueQ
08/13/2006, 10:18 PM
I got mine from a company that is now out of business. It was between that place, reefgeek and Speciality Lights (http://www.specialty-lights.com/) .The ballast are each 2x54w but I have seen 4x54w ballasts too. I'm running a 4 bulb setup w/ 2 actinic, 1 Giessman daylight and one aquablue. Each bulb is 54w so overall I'm running 216w over my 75gal tank. Individual reflectors are the key too! I've read that you don't need as much wattage w/T-5s b/c the PAR is better and gets down into your tank further. You won't get the shimmer you get w/ MHs, but I'm please with what mine do. My critters seem to like it. I've read some people have to put screening in to cut back the amount of light. My bulbs are mounted into my canopy and that puts them pretty far from the surface, but they are still packing a lot of light!
There's a bunch of threads that aare packed w/ tons of info. But, this one is the one that helped me pick out my ballast and bulb config.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=838805&perpage=25&pagenumber=2 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=838805&perpage=25&pagenumber=2)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7933867#post7933867 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hooker18
thanks for the input on the advance ballast. tony and i were looking at them the other day and i am trying to figure out where to put more lights. also can you give me some more info on you lights. how many watts per bulb? where did you get ballast? and overall watts? also is it true you need less watts if you are using t5s?

lizfrog007
08/13/2006, 10:26 PM
this is what i am trying to do....maybe a sump later........http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/blank/bldonrefugfront.htm