PDA

View Full Version : using NSW ?

wiszmaster
08/07/2006, 08:04 AM
I'm wondering how many of our locals have used Natural Salt Water for their tanks ....

I'm really contemplating it.
I'm wondering how good the water quality is about 20-30 miles off shore ... thinking about getting 3 or 4 50g drums & a bildge pump ... and getting water that way when it comes time to fill my tank up.

there is the following thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=882077

Hobster
08/07/2006, 08:55 AM
I considered it, but felt it was to much work and effort. You need to check on red tide updates to be sure its not active.

So you cruise out 20 miles (fuel expense) pump 200 gals (1660 lbs) of water into the boat. cruise back (use even more fuel) than find a way to transfer the water into the tank. If you have a large boat and live on the water, then it would probably be fine.

I, myself woulld rather mix it in the garage:)

Go luck.

wiszmaster
08/07/2006, 11:40 AM
well ...

i have access to a 30ft boat ... i only really need somewhere around 100g-130g ... which would weigh in @ around 1/2 a ton.

i have not yet perfected the plan in regards to getting the water off the boat. lol

This is just an idea i was kicking around in my head .... i've got lots of those .. ;-/

coralfarmer84
08/16/2006, 04:19 PM
It just seems like too much money. You'd probably spend around the same just to mix your own salt. Boats seem to suck down the gas, then you go to factor in your time. Just a huge hassle plus my tank evaporates 5 gallons a day. Then you need to add tap water.

wiszmaster
08/17/2006, 06:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7952744#post7952744 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
It just seems like too much money. You'd probably spend around the same just to mix your own salt. Boats seem to suck down the gas, then you go to factor in your time. Just a huge hassle plus my tank evaporates 5 gallons a day. Then you need to add tap water.

i'm not trying to avoid spending money by getting NSW rather than mixing my own ... i already have a bucket of salt .....
I'm looking at it from another standpoint - lack of nutrients & other elements in ASW.

5g /day? damn. did you ever figure out your Auto top off system?