PDA

View Full Version : Just got my skimmer...question

UberNoober
08/05/2006, 04:27 PM
Okay, before I got my skimmer I was doing 20% water change every other weekend.
Can anyone suggest a water change regiment with the skimmer or should it stay the same?

My tank is a 29 Gallon

Thanks

Oh wait, also i once read that the skimmer takes nutrients out of the water, is there anything I need to add to the water now?

lhoo
08/05/2006, 04:38 PM
I would keep the same water change regimen.

evolust
08/05/2006, 04:42 PM
Keep testing your water and do water changes before the water tests out of the good range. You dont need to add anything back into the tank. What kind of skimmer is it?

UberNoober
08/05/2006, 05:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7885061#post7885061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by evolust
Keep testing your water and do water changes before the water tests out of the good range. You dont need to add anything back into the tank. What kind of skimmer is it?

Its a remora

Doglover_50
08/05/2006, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty new as well, but agree with both of the other posts. I'd stick to the biweeklies. Maybe months down the road you could experiment with cutting back % water change, but I wouldn't even think about it now, and it's probably not even worth it. If you have a routine that works, keep it. If you are using a good quality salt, what evolust noted is likely accurate--all of the elements will be re-added when new salt is put in. Also corals do use some elements (calcium, etc...) over time so skimmer or not readding trace elements with various products may be helpful. I'm no expert in this area--I just use Purple Up a few times per week.

Doglover_50
08/05/2006, 05:07 PM
PS--How far is your minion-ship willing to go for a 55+ tank? I just saw one for sale in Flag, tank, stand, canopy, all filtration, etc.... all but skimmer, $150! If I hadn't already gone crazy on tanks myself, I would have taken it myself! And I think I saw another 60 dry but fully loaded (with skimmer) for salt tank for $300-$400. up here

UberNoober
08/05/2006, 05:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7885061#post7885061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by evolust

Off topic...evolust...is that EVO as in mitsubishi?

I've got an import tuner i like to mod up a bit :)

evolust
08/05/2006, 08:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7885155#post7885155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UberNoober
Off topic...evolust...is that EVO as in mitsubishi?

I've got an import tuner i like to mod up a bit :)

YEP! I lust for an evolution VIII I love the thought of dragging a mustang or vette or whatever with twice the motor and handing them their butt. I'm to concerned with their lifespan to buy one though. Maybe the 08 v10 supra will entice me enough to buy. Do you have an evo?

UberNoober
08/05/2006, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7885822#post7885822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by evolust
YEP! I lust for an evolution VIII I love the thought of dragging a mustang or vette or whatever with twice the motor and handing them their butt. I'm to concerned with their lifespan to buy one though. Maybe the 08 v10 supra will entice me enough to buy. Do you have an evo?

Sounds sweet. I've got a tiburon..but i've suped it up a bit.
My boyfriend REALLY wants and Evo VIII or IX. Right now he's got a rally edition lancer...he hates it cuz my car smokes his! lol