PDA

View Full Version : Kirsten

rljlll
08/05/2006, 01:01 AM
Hi! why when i said i was going to do a closed loop with penductors you grubled something about them? Do you not like them or what is your opionion on them?

Or anyone for that matter

kirstenk
08/05/2006, 01:55 AM
What? I use penductors on 2 my returns. They help but they don't give me the nice flow pattern the Seios do. I should prolly bank them off the glass............

cerreta
08/05/2006, 02:13 AM
Roy, be sure to use a pressure rated pump if using penductors. The back pressure created add head pressure, thus reducing input flow.

I run one penductor on a Panworld non-pressure rated pump at 1100gph and the output flow is just slightly greater than without using it.

rljlll
08/05/2006, 01:49 PM
i will be using a little giant 2--md-sc on a SCWD with 2 penductors criss-crossing the tank. i am droping in a 2 1/2in pvc with incap and drilled holes for intake to reduce pressure from each hole.

What do you think?

Pyrrhus
08/05/2006, 09:47 PM
That pump is nowhere near the size necessary to run penductors, especially after losing pressure through the SCWD. An Iwaki 55 rlt or a Gen-x pcx 55 is more the caliber pump you are looking for.

rljlll
08/05/2006, 10:13 PM
but those are over 1000gph why would i need that much flow?
How much does the SCWD kill presure wise

cerreta
08/05/2006, 10:16 PM
I agree with Skip. You need a larger pump. Even a Dart pump would work well.

I have measured actual flow output on many pumps after routing through the plubming. You can plan all you want and estimate head pressures and do all the calculations you until you turn blue in the face. None are as acurrate as directly measuring flow output.

As a general rule of thumb, IME, the flow output is half of that rated by the pump. This is if you are routing the pump through a moderate amount of plumbing with elbows and such. You will get 3/4 of rated output if using a very short run of plumbing like that found in a typical Closed Loop Circuit.

So, my Panworld PXX50 rated at 1100gph measured 515gph. This is plumbed from the sump through a chiller, and up to the return spigot where it is reduced from 1" down to 3/4" right before entering the tank via dual 3/4" locklines and 3/4" bulkhead.

rljlll
08/05/2006, 11:17 PM
ok so i do need it to be pressure rated for the SCWD and penductors right

total the pump will be about 2-4 feet fron the penductor

newhere
08/05/2006, 11:22 PM
Idon't know if you know but the 2md runs very hot also.

aztbs
08/05/2006, 11:25 PM
Scott - what are you using the measure the actual output of the flow? I have always been curious myself about my pumps.

And this chart tells you what you need to know about your pump/pressure/penductor size: http://www.kthsales.com/website/Misc/Low%20pressure%20eductor%20flow%20rates.pdf

clkwrk
08/06/2006, 01:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7886842#post7886842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newhere
Idon't know if you know but the 2md runs very hot also.

I have run 2 different 2 md's and both did fine . both on smaller tanks also. Provide good airflow near it and its not too bad . Like all pumps they put out heat.

cerreta
08/06/2006, 01:20 AM
I did my recent testing when the tank was being built, so it was easy to do. However, it can still be done with a setup system. It does become more difficult to do if you have an elaborate return system with multiple nozzles at different locations.

In my example, I just place a 5gal bucket under the two nozzles and start the pump. As soon as water hits the bucket, start the timer. Fill to the 5gal mark and stop timer. Then do the math to calculate gpm. For example: Lets say it took 28seconds to fill the 5 gallon bucket. 5/33s x 60s x 60m = 642gph

You can do this for any size bucket.

For a more complicated return design, I use 1 gallon buckets beneath each spigot. Turn on and time until one of the buckets reaches the 1 gallon mark. Stop timer and record time. Then you have to pour all the water into a measuring device, like a 7gallon blue jug that is marked at every one gallon interval. Once you know the total water and the time, do the math.

Lets say this was 3.75g in 13seconds. 3.75/13 x 60s x 60m = 1038gph.

Here are a couple pics I took when trying to decide which nozzle I liked. The larger nozzle had about 75gph more flow output too.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/sdcerreta/TankPlumbing033.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/sdcerreta/TankPlumbing034.jpg

cerreta
08/06/2006, 01:24 AM
BTW, you can even use flat bottom tubaware containers for doing the latter approach. Anything to collect water without spilling is fine, since it will be measured in some other device.

azrednex
08/06/2006, 10:33 AM
excellent, thanks for the info. I'm gonna go start cipherin' now