PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need a halide light for about 3 weeks.

ZoeReef
08/04/2006, 02:53 AM
Just got back from a 10 day vacation. Two days ago the person caring for my home 24g aquapod accidently dumped the halide enclosure into the water. He said it was only in the water for about 3 seconds and didn't sink in. The LED lights and the fans in the enclosure all work but the 75w halide doesn't work. So my tank was without lights for 2 days.

I took the bulb down to Pets Inc and the bulb tested good so they think I need a ballast. This could be a 2-3 week fix as there doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement part. I have emails out to current-usa.

In the meantime I went by Lowes and got some very bright florescents. I think these are running at about 3500k, but from what I can see it appears everything is alive.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a spare halide light I can use for about 2-3 weeks until this situation gets resolved. I'm open to any other temporary fixes. Thx.... Andy

grenaria
08/04/2006, 03:04 AM
Sorry, I don't have anything you could borrow, but I would suggest if you keep the NO fluroscent fixture temporarily, that you purchase some 5500K-6500K bulbs. I know I've seen then before locally because that's what I have in my garage, but I can't remember where I got them from. I think they are quite common. The red light coming from such a yellow bulb can be very stressful for corals and is a known cause of bleaching.

psimitry
08/04/2006, 04:02 AM
I've got one you can borrow. It's an aquatraders light, but if you don't mind being "not picky" it should do the trick.

It's a 150W MH fixture so it may be a bit much for your tank, and you'll have to figure out a way to suspend it.

The only caveat I have is if the person caring for your home drops it into the water as well it would be replaced...

PM if you still need it. Frags or chunk of cheato algae would be accepted if donated. :D (but are not required. I'm not charging for it)

ZoeReef
08/04/2006, 10:57 AM
pm sent.

evolust
08/04/2006, 11:41 AM
I have a 400w se 20k or a 175w de 11k pendent you can borrow. LMK