PDA

View Full Version : Is there any decent Local Live Rock???

Lago
05/29/2002, 09:09 AM
I originally piggy backed another thread but got no responses so...

Can anyone recommend a local source for Live Rock? I don't mind traveling an hour or three if I can pick out decent rock. I called Absolutely Fish and they quoted me $10/lb for "really good Tonga"!!! I said they were Absolutley Nuts. I really don't want to do the mail order thing if I don't have to. I'm not that familiar with the details of the different typs of LR available so getting to see it up close and personal would be a major benefit.

Thanks again!

katspaw
05/29/2002, 09:28 AM
Lago,
Talk to Joe or Dan over at Reef Splendor. They are an online store, but are located an hour and ten minutes from Clifton NJ. If you don't mind the drive. They have something like 3000 gallons just for live rock. I don't know their prices but the guys are vey decent, as far as the northern prices go anyway.

Tracey

reef93
05/29/2002, 10:08 AM
you can also checkout for liverock, if you don't mind two hours driving to CT. The liverock I got from him were very "live" and awsome color. I think currently priced around $4/lb and he probably meet you half way for pickup. HTH

jimroth
05/29/2002, 10:14 AM
And if you're going out to CT, you could keep driving until you get to Paragon Aquatics (http://www.paragonsales.com/) in Haddon, home of the best LR I've ever seen. Mike can cure LR like no one else. I have it in both my tanks, it's loaded with life!

geoffgarcia
05/29/2002, 11:24 AM
I just went on a hunt for LR about 2 months ago. Here are my impressions:
Absolutly Fish-about 150 gallons worth little rock, large pieces only, nothing special, high priced
Hanover Fish-about 300 gallons worth, decent prices, decent growth on them, small pieces
Pet Shanty (rt 22)-about 600 gallons worth, good sizes, but nothing special
Animal House-55gallons worth? higher prices, but good growth on the rocks, and good sizes.
Adams Pet Safari-50 gallons worth, lower quality, little growth
and then there was one play on rt 22 in Boundbrook area, forget what it was called had about 50 gallons of cured rock and about 200 in the basement of "curing" rock, good growth, different varieties of rock, decent prices...

If I were to look for LR again, because I wasn't impressed with any of the stores I went to in NJ, and I've had great experience dealing with

If I had to do the store thing again, I'd go in this order:
Animal House
place on 22 in BoundBrook
Hanover Fish
Adams Pet Safari
Absolutly Fish