PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a dive destination...

alligator
05/29/2002, 08:54 AM
My wife and I are thinking of Bonaire after we get certified next weekend. Then she sees an add for the Grand Cayman islands, and changes her mind. I don't want to limit our choices to those two destinations...

Here is what our preferences are:

1. Must have spectacular diving (after all, I started diving because of my reef tank)!

2. Must have shore diving and boat diving.

3. Must have non-diving activities. I don't just want to sit around "until my next dive."

4. Low cost would also be nice, we'll be flying from Minneapolis, MN.

Any suggestions, advice, or tips on where to stay?

mjh
05/29/2002, 07:09 PM
Never been to Bonaire but always rated highly for diving. The Caymans have great diving, nice beaches, and so/so nightlife. The Caymans aren’t cheap but you will have a good time. I would suggest Cozumel, awesome diving, and great beaches worth renting a car and driving to, can circle whole island in 2hrs. There is great food, of all nationalities and nightlife ranging from relaxed to dance on the tables. Cost is good if the Cruise Ships are not in, when they arrive meals etc... are on scale w/US.

billsreef
05/29/2002, 09:24 PM
Both are great locations.

Bonaire is good for shore diving and boat diving. Good shallow dives and gentle slopes into the deep water. Water tends to have more particulate matter than the Caymans and some other locations I've been to. People are generally friendly, however you do need to keep close watch on your belongings when out shore diving.

Caymans are my favorite ;) Spetacular walls with steep drops and very clear water that get the adrenelin pumping :D While shore diving is not common in the Caymans it can certainly be done and there are plenty of topside activities in Grand Cayman. The low crime rate is also a plus here. If you want quiet get away from civilazation type spots, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman are very nice too, just no night life outside of the hotel bars ;)

Here's a couple of pics to whet your appetite :D

From Little Caymans infamous Bloody Bay Wall

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/billsreef/randy.jpg

From Bonair

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/billsreef/french.jpg

JazzMan
05/29/2002, 09:27 PM
Palau :thumbsup:

JazzMan
05/29/2002, 09:30 PM
I saw you were looking for low cost!!!

Scratch Palau!!

kanankeban
05/31/2002, 06:53 PM
Cosumel....and is cheap for you with green bills:D and before or after you can stay a couple of days in Cancun is fun and is real near...rated the second best beach in the world after surfers paradise in Australia (Discovery Channel) For me is the best, afterwards I´m Mexican :D

AuroraDave
06/03/2002, 08:37 PM
I second Cozumel. We just got back.
When we were planning out trip the same destinations came up, so we asked around. Cozumel got the best marks for cost, night life and is one of the highest rated diving destinations around. The island is protected and the diversity is amazing.

If you go, don't miss shore diving at Paradise Reef. It was better than some boat dives. We rented tanks/wgts for $2.00 US at eaglerayoutfitters and walked about 150 yards to dive. Most of the dive was 20-35 feet. Tons of fry everywhere and good visib.

We dove 14 times and didn't see it all. San Rosa was our favorite Wall dive. I suggest going on a night dive too. It is a different world when the lights go out.

There are over 100 dive companies, research before you leave and I suggest reservations,espec on Tues/Wed when there are more cruise ships in town. We used DiveWithMartin since one of our friends used before. I was skeptical because they were less $ then the others and included all equip, but I would use AGAIN. They were great and they gave us free underwater videos... give me a call if you need their #.

Have fun
Dave

AzSnake
06/14/2002, 02:08 PM
Cozumel is great but I would also highly suggest Beliez. It has the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world and the largets in the Northern hemisphere.

Cap'n Crunch
06/18/2002, 11:47 AM
Both Cozumel and G. Cayman are great choices. Cozumel is Decidedly less expensive (exchange rate is around 8 pesos/dollar in coz, whereas $1 U.S./$1.6 C.I.)
As far as diving, I would recommend Cayman for the less experienced. Cozumel is all drift diving, and you aren't always picked-up by the same boat right away. It can be a little nerve-wracking for the newbie to be getting used to the gear etc... and have to worry about being found by a dive operator.
The Cobalt Coast resort on G. Cayman has really good shore diving and their affiliated dive shop, Dive Tech, is one of the best I've gone with. They do most of their boat diving up on the NW side of the West end, north of 7 mile beach. They have a lot of sites less frequented by others. I'm heading down there in July with my wife and 2 yr. old, if you would like more info, let me know.:)