PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Incubation?

Breef
05/28/2002, 09:57 PM
I'm just curious if there is anyone tring to advance the breeding techniques of these cardinal tetras? I would like to try but if there is anyone with prior experience I would like to discuss it. As I use to breed african cichlids which were mouthbrooders,I used the stripping methods with nets and methelene blue or metchiline{not up on my spelling with these chemicals,but they are eccentially dyes} green to keep the eggs from fungusing. I as many others recieved many fish as rewards for this method.

FMarini
05/28/2002, 10:06 PM
HI:
as in freshwater cardinal tetras?
Interesting, I was under th eimpression that these fish are impossible to get to brred and the fry are supposedly tough to raise.
I guess you can try this, but cardinal tetras are egg layers, so thi smigh be a little more diffuclt than mouthbrooders. Remember w/ mouth brooders, the parents hatch the fry and hold then until they are a size which will survive the enviroment. Thats why they mouthbrood....so the fry have a survival advantage
Good luck, i hope others pipe in
frank

Breef
05/28/2002, 10:18 PM
Ok,right off I screwed up,regular thing as I think my brain stays in a different universe! I was meaning to say the bangi cardinals, the main reasons for the interuping of the incubation for the fry are multifold as I'm sure you know. One being to keep the fish that is holding the eggs from becoming too emanciated,and the possibility of the spawn being more often with the results of more fry from fewer fish. Also there is the result of less fry being eaten by the adults,etc.

Breef
06/03/2002, 09:42 PM
Well,this was a small brood but there is five that are still alive,here's hoping that the next brood will be bigger.