PDA

View Full Version : looking for good local fish stores

dmilne85
07/31/2006, 10:33 PM
Hello, I currently live in flagstaff and we only have 1 aquarium store that deals with saltwater and they dont have the best selection. this leaves me buying my livestock online or going to phoenix to buy my livestock. ive only been to phoenix a few times and have been to aquatouch and pets inc. They both seem nice but im wondering if there is anything that i should really check out that has good selection and good prices. im intrested in mostly stonie(LPS, and SPS) corals. any recommendations would be appreciated.

MelloYellow
07/31/2006, 10:54 PM
Never personally been to this place but going to check it out soon hopefully, But I have heard a lot of good things from About the Reef at 406 S Price in Tempe

Kluver
07/31/2006, 11:38 PM
Try About The Reef. Its pretty good. Its located in Tempe though.

dmilne85
07/31/2006, 11:49 PM
thanks,i just found the stores thread at the top of this clubs form and have been reading about the stores and it seems that about the reef,ocean arts, and aquatouch seem to be the favorites.

jchapple
08/01/2006, 12:36 AM
I'd put Aquarium Arts in the top 3 with AquaTouch & About The Reef.

vanmle
08/01/2006, 12:45 AM
My favorites are Aquatouch and About the Reef

joeyf
08/01/2006, 01:04 AM
I wasn't overly impressed with Aquatouch, although the two times I've been there were within a week of eachother. Its a bit of a drive for me...

I like about the reef, but their prices are pretty high. Service, selection and quality are great though.

I don't like ocean art at all, their service stinks, prices are high, (although not quite as high as ATR), and their selection is limited.

Aquarium Arts, after their improvements has become my favorite. Their selection of fish and inverts is pretty good now. Their coral selection is getting better every time I stop in, and their prices are fair. I would still suggest looking carefully though, as their quality does vary a little.

hifoo
08/01/2006, 01:04 AM
yeah, aquatouch and about the reef are where you should go.

Philwd
08/01/2006, 09:48 AM
Aquarium Arts has really cleaned up thier act in the last 6 months. But if you are strapped for time the 2 Van mentioned are the best.

vanmle
08/01/2006, 10:25 AM
I gotta head out to AA. I did not know they have gotten so much better.

Fliger
08/01/2006, 10:46 AM
I always have bad luck with Aquatouch. The only thing that seems to be good 100% of the time is their fish. Corals (esp SPS) are usually unimpressive. Their staff and their large tank are nice though.

I like Aq Arts, their manager knows his stuff. I think they've improved quite a bit. They have a lot of well priced fish and LPS and crabs/snails.

I do like ATR probably the best for corals, but their prices are quite high from LR to fish to corals. Prices seem to have gotten higher in the past few months.

I think the best place to find deals is Pets Inc. - they date their fish and the prices are very reasonable. And they get ORA stuff in at reasonable prices.

I think pests have been seen at all of the above, so make sure to treat/qt your corals!

vanmle
08/01/2006, 11:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7856372#post7856372 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fliger

I do like ATR probably the best for corals, but their prices are quite high from LR to fish to corals. Prices seem to have gotten higher in the past few months.

I agree, especially on fish. I used to think that Aquatouch has the highest prices, but the ATR definitely takes the cake now.

I was in at Aquatouch and they have a large and gorgeous six-leg purple linkia, but alas it was sold. Sometimes, you see nice stuff other than fish at AT but you have to look. I think they have lots of livestock turn-over so you have to go often to see the nice stuff because they go quickly. Even Xenia goes fairly quickly there.

dmilne85
08/01/2006, 02:08 PM
well ill be in phx on the 2nd of august so i think ill be going to make my rounds and check out at ATR, Aquarium arts, and pet inc. i like aquatouch for their selection and service but i feel like i got ripped off on a asm g 1 skimmer so i have avoided the place since then. I really have liked pets inc. for the prices, the one guy always seems to give me a good deal on frags since i drive down from flagstaff, which keeps me comming back there even though the selection isnt huge.

jpslickorocks
08/01/2006, 10:38 PM
I just got a mimic tang for $16 bucks and a 4 line wrasse for $24 bucks at Aquarium Arts. There service and livestock have improved dramatically

brbegle
08/01/2006, 10:50 PM
Go to ATR on weekends and get fish @ 30% off and corals @ buy two get one free ... that may help with your budget.