PDA

View Full Version : Location, Location, Location...

Shagsbeard
07/30/2006, 09:41 AM
I'm in Morro Bay, and the So Cal thread is all about LA, SD and Santa Barbara areas... Where do people from SLO county hang out?

Brewen
07/30/2006, 09:52 AM
[welcome] Shagsbeard we are around on the central coast, from Paso Robles to Santa Maria. At this point no one has gotten together to form a club more or less just chat here in this forum.
If you have any questions feel free to ask I will help the best I can, Gary.

Shagsbeard
07/30/2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks for that... it was just that this forum looked pretty blank compared to say, SoCal's. You can read my intro in the New to the Hobby forum, but the short form is that I teach Math at Cal Poly and got into the hobby this week. My tank is bare and sterile, but I'm working on things like temperature and salinity before I dump anything in.

My plan is to put 3-4 inches of live sand/crushed coral (?) mix and 50 lbs live rocks/ 50 lbs base rock in the tank this week.

Any tips on what I should do first? Tests and such?

BBishop
08/03/2006, 02:47 PM
Welcome Shag,
I work at the water treatment plant behind Cal Poly and part time at Aquatic Adventures on Monterey in SLO (next to 7eleven). Stop in and visit.

Bill

Shagsbeard
08/03/2006, 09:36 PM
I've been into AA (sounds bad... but you get the idea). I bought most of my stuff there. You might have even sold it to me.

Tank seems to be coming along fine... I've got rock and sand in it now and everything is up and running. My light is on top of the tank, and I've ordered a hanging kit for it. But other than that, there's not going to be much change until I get a cleaning crew for in a week or two.

BBishop
08/05/2006, 03:15 PM
I haven't been there long enough to sell any aquariums or expensive equipment yet. I hope whoever helped you, got you started on the right track.

wakesetter
08/11/2006, 05:14 PM
we actually have had a couple of meetings. They were about a year ago when this forum was started. Clearly it did not snowball into anything bigger. Anyone want to try to organize anything new?

cjc_cali
08/11/2006, 08:12 PM
I would definetly like to, the only problem is im in a pretty demanding training course right now. not a whole lot of free time. but if its a weekend i might be able to swing it.

what would be a rally point for everyone? im in the lompoc/santa maria area.

BBishop
08/12/2006, 05:59 AM
How about we plan around the first week of next month, get a general feeling of what day would be the best for most people, and then pick a meeting place and time?

Myself, anywhere between Passo and Santa Maria is fine. I work wednesday thru saturday from 3am to 2pm. I'm pretty much open to anything early or on my days off.

Bill

wakesetter
08/12/2006, 09:02 AM
it seems that people from San Miguel to Vandenberg are interested. Pismo or Arroyo Grande are midway points. Anyone have a good idea for a site?

Brewen
08/12/2006, 11:26 AM
A thought would be a local pizza shop in the 5 cities area. Second thought would be members home. Last thought at the pier in Pismo Beach the last one the cheapest. Any more thoughts?

Shagsbeard
08/12/2006, 06:07 PM
I work at Poly and could probably get something set up there once school gets back in. Perhaps even see if there's a student club or what not. I know that Poly is setting up a Marine Bio Lab/Demo on the old 76 pier in Avila Beach. I'll see how that's going along and report back. I've heard it's going to be open to the public at some point with aquariums and open labs. I'll talk to the guy in charge of it later in September.

BBishop
08/13/2006, 11:40 AM
So when is everyone available? Even if there is only a few of us, it's a start.

Bill

Brewen
08/13/2006, 04:09 PM
Most Saturday evenings or even a mid week evening, let me know.

Wicked Punk
08/14/2006, 05:57 PM
Weekends are good for me. Since I work in Goleta, and live in Lompoc.

wakesetter
08/14/2006, 06:24 PM
Round table in Arroyo Grande has two nice big meeting rooms. There should probably be some sort of topic or focus of the meeting. Maybe a small frag swap/sale?

seanb
08/16/2006, 12:05 AM
I just discovered this forum. Glad to see there is a place to talk to local people. I live in SLO and work in AG, so Round Table on a weekend works for me. I still don't have water in my tank, so I can't contibute to a frag swap, but I know a few people who might.
Bill, I have talked to Chris & Chris at AA, but I don't think we have met. I'll say hi the next time I am in.
Shagsbeard, let us know what you find out about the Marine Lab, I teach HS Biology and I feel a field trip in the making.

cjc_cali
08/18/2006, 12:21 AM
weekends are open for me usually, AG is only 30 min away max for me, no problem there.

i dont have any frag tools yet, plus my sps corals are still in the recovery/regrow phase from an almost total loss. im working on posting progression photos in my gallery. they are mostly healed up now.

as of right now I have some GSP and purple/white star polyps, i could make a small multi zoanthid rock, i also have a green and red acan or favid(not sure) i can frag several polyps off of.

A good set of topics might be tank setups, specific techniques that help you/your tank, a coral list if people want to start frag trading.

sorry for the scatter, but its been a long day.

KeLusth
08/20/2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Im new to the area and I would like to join the club! I dont have anything to offer for frags except some GSP. I moved my tank from Northern California and sold my corals for dirt cheap, so now I am slowly starting over. I have never joined a reef club so I dont know what to do or what you do in a club :) Also are there any other girls in this club?

Brewen
08/21/2006, 07:46 PM
KeLusth the club is just forming mostly chat about time and place. As long as you have interest in salt water tanks and or reef please come one come all.

Shagsbeard
08/22/2006, 12:35 PM
I'd make time pretty much when ever people would want to meet. I'd like to wait until well into October so we could include Calpoly students in this discussion. But it's up to the majority. Someone needs to bite the bullet and set a time/date/location and see how many show up. If it's not enough interest, we could go from there and modify it.

@Seanb: We aquired the pier a couple years back in one of the largest $$ donations to a college in state history... thanks Unocal. The plan for the peir was to build a lab/discovery center. The last I heard about it was last year at this time. The college meetings are in a couple weeks and I'll ask the dean and Bio dept head how the plan is progressing. It would be cool if we could use that as a meeting place, but I have no idea if that's in the works.

D-Rod
08/22/2006, 08:56 PM
I'm in, as long as it doesn't conflict with anything already planned.

It would be cool to have at an LFS so us newer at SW could see some examples and use and ideas of equip.
What about Lily Pad? (or something with that name in AG) on Grand
Somebody who lives close to them could ask to use there outside pond area for the meeting space then check out there tanks and equip. and inquire about a group discount. :D

The sooner the better for me, Oct. thru Dec. i'm very busy.
Saturday doesn't work for me.
Monday & Thursday evening also are not good.

AA in SLO also works for me!

We can also just break into "Jungles Above Oceans Below" on west grand, since the last time i checked they were not open yet!
after 1 year??

I've done alot of trading with a Adult Beverage that a alot of people produce here on the Central Coast.
*hint
It's on my signature.

Wicked Punk
08/23/2006, 05:30 PM
Weekends work best for me, and I don't mind driving up to AG or SLO. Be nice to meet some fellow reefers to trade with. Plus we can help out the new people start their tanks. I could donate some shrooms ,Xenia or even small heads of torch frags. I always have plenty of those.

youngster119
09/05/2006, 07:34 PM
would love to come and kick it whit the fellas!!! live in Cambria and work in SLO 5-6 days a week at Aquatic Adventures. might end up living in AG soon so im good all around.

chris

seanb
09/05/2006, 09:06 PM
Sounds like we are still trying to decide where to meet? I talked to Joe at Wet Pets/Lilly Pad and he was a lukewarm to the idea of hosting a meeting. Between Chris and Bill, we have 2 representatives from Aquatic Adventures. Any suggestions on where we can meet Chris?

youngster119
09/09/2006, 01:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8085687#post8085687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seanb
Any suggestions on where we can meet Chris?
posted reply in "meetings" thread

chris

Brewen
09/09/2006, 06:18 PM
Nice to meet you Chris, always glade to put a face with a name. The Seahorse looks great in my nano along the acro's in my main tank. I will keep you posted if the one makes it, if in time frag it back to you.
Brewen

youngster119
09/12/2006, 11:10 AM
glad to help hope all continues going well great to meet us as well my friend talked to mom sounds like it might be a posability to use the shop more... "role call" thread. bill came in yesterday and it sounds like he might be around yet still too.:)