PDA

View Full Version : Hyposalinity duration

KBL
07/27/2006, 03:00 AM
I read your artical about Ich, it has been very helpful.
Now, my display tank has ich problem, I notice some abnormal beheavier such as flashing, brushing the rock. I start the hyposalinity treatment, first I replace about 4/5 the tank with fresh water for about one hour, then I slowly bring the level to 1.009 to 1.010 as you suggested. It's been 3 days and all the fish look much happier, swim and eat mormal.
As your article, you suggest keep the 1.009 to 1.010 salinity for 14 days. But I remember some article suggest 28 days for complete cure. My tank temp are 79-83 F, can you tell me how many days I need to keep my tank in hyposalinity treatment for a complete cure of ich?
Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated!

Steven Pro
07/27/2006, 04:47 AM
Fourteen days was the initial standard treatment that came out, but since then many people have extended that. If your fish show no signs of trouble, I would probably do the entire month. Then, I would quarantine them for an additional month to be sure the treatment was successful and allow time for them to recover.

KBL
07/27/2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply. I will try one month hyposalinity treatment.
But I don't understand the meaning of "I would quarantine them for additional month to be sure the treatment was successful and allow them to recover"
I am hyposanility treatment all my fishes in my display tank now, not in my quarantine tank, how to quarantine them one more month? Do you mean that I should bring the salinity level up slowly through the next month after the 30 days treatment?

Steven Pro
07/27/2006, 03:45 PM
I mistakenly thought you were treating them with hyposalinity in a quarantine tank.

Freed
07/27/2006, 04:26 PM
Is this a fish only tank? Live rock?

KBL
07/28/2006, 02:55 AM
Yes, this is a fish only tank, no live rock. I stat to hyposalinity treatment when my fishes only showing abnormal swimming beheavier, such as brush on the rock and flashing, there were no white spot yet. So I think I caught the ich at early stage. Since I have start the hyposalinity treatment, I just want to be sure the lengh of the treatment, I don't want to end too soon and the ich can come back. So far, my fishes are doing fine and eating well.