PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to collect sand from the keys?

Nishant3789
05/27/2002, 08:46 AM
i was wondering if i am allowed to collect sand from the florida keys. I only want about 3 film canisters ful for my nano. thanks! o and what about rock? i mean just rocks that are lying around underwater, not live. thanks
nishant

RicksReefs
05/27/2002, 01:47 PM
any rock in fla. is considered 'live rock'
got nailed by marine patrol for picking up
a rock in a parking lot!was told i had no proof
i didn't take it from water.(even tho' dry & sun bleached)
gave me a verbal warning.
could find no listing on sand in regs.,
ASSUME is ok. i believe bomber posted if under 1", is ok
advise contacting fla. fish & game.
they have NO sense of humor on violations
and can take everything you have w/you
when violation comitted.e.g.car,boat,dive gear,etc..
will post web page address later.

chriss
05/27/2002, 10:46 PM
Florida Law regulates sand and rock the same. You cannot take either without special permit. Besides, it is much easier just to order it and have it delivered to your house or local airport. (I know this because I went to collect some, but asked the marine patrol first - good thing i asked.)
Chris

Reefs_Rock
05/30/2002, 01:40 PM
nishant

In the keys, mostly you cannot take anything because much of the area is protected from collecting. Best to leave alone. It ain't worth the hassles and fines if you get caught.

Go to a LFS or collector that has permits talk them out of the small amount you are looking for. Check in the yellow pages in every town you pass through. You will find them if you look.

To give an example of how bad it can get; A boater, unfamiliar with the undersea landscape grounded on a patch reef, disabled his boat, drifted unto a grassy flats area and grounded. Had to be towed off. Tow boat operator is obligated by law to report the incident. FL powers that be followed up inspected the site and his boat fined the boater $10,000 for damages, not to the reef but the grassy flat. Go figure!

So, it ain't worth the hassle! Go dive, snorkel have fun but don't touch or take.

Contender
05/30/2002, 09:28 PM
If all you want is 3 film canisters of sand then why even ask? Take the sand and put it in your tank. I guarantee that the sea isn't going to miss it. The marine patrol doesn't know what the heck is going on, so I wouldn't worry too much about them anyway. Besides, I find it extremely unlikely that anyone would ever make a law prohibiting recreational collection of sand. It's not like its going to run out.

Devil Reefer
06/17/2002, 01:16 AM
I sure hope not, I'd hate for my 8yr old twins to get locked up for collecting sand and sea shells. We just got back from Florida last week and had no problem passing through security at the airport with a couple fruit jars full of sand and shells in my daughters purse.
Devil

Nishant3789
06/17/2002, 06:31 AM
ok i just go bac esterday and i brought bac bout a disani water bottle of sand, ( 20oz bottle). it had a little water in it oo now the question is, should i just add it directly t my tank i mean bedaue it really stinks right now, and im afraid most of the live stuff has died and itll caue a cycle in my tank. thanks
nishant