PDA

View Full Version : Pterois volitans

MightyMr_T
05/26/2002, 02:41 PM
If it is possible could you tell me if there are any differences between male and female Pterois volitans as I have one and I would like to get him/her a mate, all the books I have say that there is no difference between them but they are old books so they may not be right? Yes I know that they are large fish. my tank is big enough for two and I am not planning to keep anything that would be at risk from them.

Thanks for any information that any of you may be able to give.

Richard T..........

FMarini
05/27/2002, 08:21 PM
Hi richard:
To my knowledge there is NO way to tell apart the sexes. I have read the same books you have and even read Scott Michaels 2001 book and even he says they don't know a physcial difference. The good news for you is that you can house multiple numbers of P volitans together (if your tank is big enuf) and "hope' you get breeding activity. AS you know Adult P Volitans are around 12-15" long -- big fish in my opinion.

If you want to bred lions-the best one if the dwarf fuzzy lion. Males are easily distingushed from females, you can keep a harem of females and even a subordinate male in the same tank, adult size if under7". I have seen them do their spawning ritual, and even had them lay eggs, but alas i never got past that.
But that the best i can do
frank