PDA

View Full Version : eds ORP tort

rljlll
07/23/2006, 08:05 PM
LONG STORY SHORT
i got it put it through hell had philw watch it and now i have it back

i gave it to phil almost brown he got it back to health and gave it back nice purple color it have been in my tank for about three weeks i think now it has started to get the green in the branches like on the one phil and chris(clkwrk) has so i know it is healthy ful polyps and so forth but at the base i am seeing the tissue reseed its not RTN or STN have personally seen both but it is slowly almost not noticeably receding skip had me try a Q-tip and Seachem coral dip i think it might have done the trick but don't know for sure yet only been a few day does anyone have any advice

vanmle
07/23/2006, 09:03 PM
I am not sure this is your problem but I sometimes have STN when my flow to the coral is not adequate.

rljlll
07/23/2006, 09:37 PM
i have a mj1200 on the end of the tank about 2 feet away blowing right on it

Fliger
07/23/2006, 09:43 PM
I think the dip was a waste of time and might even stress the coral more. I saw it at Phil's and it was fine. If your tank has something wrong, a dip won't fix anything. But the coral is fine. Honestly, my recommendation would be to sell that beautiful piece and work your way up. Maybe sell and make a deal with the buyer that you get a decent size frag back. Do you have other SPS? Are they doing fine?

I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest so you don't lose the piece, feel bad and get out of SPS. I think we'd need to figure out what's wrong with your tank as a whole.

And I'm really sorry to ask this, but can you at LEAST use periods? I'm not anal about that as I rarely use caps in emails, but it makes things SSOOOO much easier to read. I'm gonna bet there are a few folks that didn't take the time to get thru the first couple lines.

Please don't take this the wrong way and I HTH.

David

aztbs
07/23/2006, 10:03 PM
When the piece was moved, was it attached to a rock? If it was broken and reglued, the glue site could be cause of irritation/infection, seems to me most often with the epoxy.

I agree with Fliger (also about the periods). At the very least, frag it to someone so that if you do lose it, it is not a total loss.

rljlll
07/23/2006, 10:47 PM
ok guys ill try to space it out or use more puncuation. anyways i have other sps that are not doing it and i have not broken and reglued it. and if it way stress like you say why would it be coloring up so nice and having the polyps out. i will frag it though just in case

frontosa_man80
07/23/2006, 10:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7800035#post7800035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vanmle
I am not sure this is your problem but I sometimes have STN when my flow to the coral is not adequate.

i got mine from ed back in feb. and it started doing the samething. i moved it up high in the tank and change my maxi to something with less pressure and more flow. now its encrusting fine and branching out. yours my be doing the samething. my .02

-jesse

frontosa_man80
07/23/2006, 10:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7800716#post7800716 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rljlll
...... anyways i have other sps that are not doing it ........

dont forget all SPS are not the same. i for one can not keep millies alive, but montipora, acropora, and torts do fine. what type of light and random flow do you have?

-jesse

vanmle
07/23/2006, 11:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7800741#post7800741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by frontosa_man80
dont forget all SPS are not the same. i for one can not keep millies alive, but montipora, acropora, and torts do fine. what type of light and random flow do you have?

-jesse

Cracks me up, Jesse. Milles are the only type of coral that I have not killed en masse since I started. Even Montis have succumbed to my mistakes. I guess to each, his own.

When you are ready, I have got some mille frags you can have, especially the limon green one. It is really pretty.

Satori
07/23/2006, 11:41 PM
It's actually ORA. ;)

Anyway, I've had mine down low and up high. High flow and low flow. (difference in location in my 55 and 180) It has always done very well exept when my alkalinity dropped and fluctuated due to a broken calcium reactor. I got the reactor fixed, balanced out the alk, and it came back strong as ever right away.

rljlll
07/24/2006, 01:26 AM
what ever sorry guys i new i was something like that OR?..

ill check that alk in the morning but 10 days ago it was 3.5 meg/l i forgot what that is in DKH

i have a mag 5 on my return and two mj1200 on each end for flow i had two mj900 but i took one out to feed my new refugium that i just finished and the other i had out to clean but have been lazy and not put it back in

vanmle
07/24/2006, 01:39 AM
Two MJ900 and one MAG is not enough flow for a 90 gallon tank. I think flow is very important for keeping SPS alive. I skimped on many things in my tank, but flow and skimming are not what I skimped on.

rljlll
07/24/2006, 01:39 AM
what did you use instead on a mj

kirstenk
07/24/2006, 01:48 AM
Roy..............I know ya spent some bucks on the SPS. You really need more flow to keep them happy. I would suggest a couple of 1100 or 1500 Seio's.

frontosa_man80
07/24/2006, 09:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7801369#post7801369 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kirstenk
Roy..............I know ya spent some bucks on the SPS. You really need more flow to keep them happy. I would suggest a couple of 1100 or 1500 Seio's.

thats what i did. i did 2 maxi 1200 mods, and 3seio 650's plus my two returns whitch i changing to penductors. ever since then i have had no real problems with flow. it really made my LPS mad but they got use to it.

-jesse

rljlll
07/24/2006, 11:39 AM
im working on a closed loop with the mag 9.5 i have i just have not got it up yet

Philwd
07/24/2006, 12:50 PM
Roy,
The base had already started to STN when you first gave it to me. I got it stabilized but the recessed area was still there when you picked it up. ie the tort had not yet started to grow back over it. Has the area really gotten larger or are you just noticing it more? I know I was freaking out when I thought it was spreading but I was just noticing the full extent.
There are two big reasons for base recession. Inadequate flow or high PO4 wicking up from the rock. Alk burns mostly start from the tips. I would hazard a guess here, as the others who have chimed in, your flow is either too direct(a MJ has way too much high velocity direct flow to point at a coral) or insufficient overall. Maybe try pointing the 2 MJ at the front center glass and let them create a random turbulent flow.
I had the tort in an area where my flow was turbulent. The Vortechs created a wide gentle flow of ~ 3000 gph over the top while the undertow ran right by the base going the other direction. The two flows fought and created random currents. Your flow is probably at best 1/3 of what I had and is not random.

Phil

aztbs
07/24/2006, 12:50 PM
Jesse - what are you running as your return pump? What do you think of the before/after with the penductors? Worth it?

I like the idea, but my Mag 12 return does not provide enough pressure from what I understand.

rljlll
07/24/2006, 02:19 PM
ok! i just tested my level. i was due for a water change anyways, but all looked ok a little low but not by much. phil thanks for the help ill do the mj move like you said and see if it help. i have been watching it very close over the last few days and it is receeding the tissue is not peeling away it is just backing up

evolust
07/24/2006, 03:00 PM
May be it has to do with the age of the tank? Isnt your tank pretty new? Just a thought?

frontosa_man80
07/24/2006, 09:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7803537#post7803537 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aztbs
Jesse - what are you running as your return pump? What do you think of the before/after with the penductors? Worth it?

I like the idea, but my Mag 12 return does not provide enough pressure from what I understand.

tiffany,

i havent put them on yet. right now i have a via aqua 3600.
i might go with a closed loop system and dump the power heads for less heat.

-jesse