PDA

View Full Version : Ok, My Friends are Freaking me out! Help!

GT
07/20/2006, 10:27 AM
Hi Everyone! Well Im getting closer to getting my setup going, and my friends and niebors are telling me I need to somehow reinforce my floor for the weight of my set up. I will have a 225gl with LR and sand> I estimated to have upwards of 3000 lbs, probably a little less. I will have this set up downstairs on basicly my concrete floor. We have the pergo laminent... I was thinking there would be no problem.... everyone please reassure me!!!!
Also Im putting a thin piece of carpet between my stand and pergo floor. dont know if that will help from indenting the pergo or not!
Thanks for everyones help and opinions here!
T.:eek1:

aztbs
07/20/2006, 10:44 AM
If you have a concrete floor, your biggest concern will be whether or not it is level/cracked.

I have a 180 on concrete with laminate wood flooring. It is on a steel stand. What I did was put a piece of sealed 1/2 inch plywood underneath the stand. While the tank was empty, we used shims to level the whole setup. Then we filled the tank and sump with fresh water for leak testing and after a few more days of settling, we used a few more shims in between the steel and the plywood.

I wouldn't put any carpet under there. If you have any water spill, it will just soak it all up and get smelly and nasty. Water still may get under the plywood and ruin the pergo, but much smaller amounts. The laminate has held up for me very well, just wipe up water quickly.

If you are setting up a new 225, then I hope you don't plan to move it anytime soon. If that is the case, who cares if you have a small impression in the pergo? If you do move, there will be a million other tank things to worry about that you won't think about it. :)

phlipper84
07/20/2006, 10:44 AM
Being on a concrete floor really does not allow for much in the way of reinforcement. I have tile under my 240 and they have not cracked. Your biggest problem will be the pergo buckling from the water and humidity. No real way to avoid it. I would recommend that you have an extra box or two of boards so that should you move the tank, you can replace the boards with ones that match.

blas
07/20/2006, 10:51 AM
True story I knew a guy that built a car in his house, I think you will be fine I would suggest getting some extra boxes of the Pergo so if you need to replace some down the road you'll have the same color lot. That stuff is pretty sturdy.

aztbs
07/20/2006, 10:56 AM
I expected more damage to the laminate from the 55 I had. I am pretty clumsy with water and it evaped a lot. When I got rid of that tank, there was some major dust bunnies and some sticky salt creep, but no buckling or warping. A broom took care of everything, no evidence of tank left behind.

Extra boards is a good idea.

GT
07/20/2006, 11:06 AM
aztbs, phlipper84...Thanks for the reassurance! "shwewww". The carpet thing should of been a no brainer for me! duh! I actually had my stand built for me, and they did put a sealed 1/2 piece of wood totaly across the bottom (length and width). so I should be ok then. aztbs, was wondering the shims you used are they the angled wooden ones you just knock in from say HD? phlipper84, thanks for your advise. I do have a couple of boxes of pergo left over from when we did the floor.
The areneline is pumping. Im getting close to getting things running here, so now that it is getting closer. I ordered the sump/refugium yesterday at a lfs, and they had freaked out that my skimmer wouldnt fit under my new stand I had custom built. because I told them I had bought a ASM g4x, which I had actually bought a ASM g4+ which is shorter. So I had to call and wake my daughter up at home, have her go in and tell me what the box says. All this time while she puts me on hold!!! (breaking out in a cold sweat) she comes back and says... g4+ (and the crowd cheers) LOL!
Ok is this normal to be this nervous.. Ive read and read, and read. Made a plan, and now that its time to assemble everything. I second guess myself. Wow The day I do my leak test run... Im thinking a recliner, a beer, and a bag of chips, and just watching the waterflow will calm me down....
Thank You

T.

aztbs
07/20/2006, 11:24 AM
relax?? who said this hobby was relaxing? :lol:

I used some regular shims from HD under the plywood. But under the steel on one end I actually used some cut pieces of the peel and stick linoleum tiles. Just what was available.

My G4X fits under the stand once it is in the sump, but getting it there was a real joy. Congrats on your new setup btw

Doglover_50
07/20/2006, 11:35 AM
As long as you are putting it on a slab, then as noted by others damage if any would most likely be only cosmetic. If your place was on blocks, you'd be in a heap load of trouble with a tank that size. good luck!

GT
07/20/2006, 11:38 AM
aztbs
Thanks again!

vanmle
07/20/2006, 11:47 AM
Wow.

I agree with everyone. If you keep it dry, you shouldn't have any problems unless you are in an with a shifting foundation, but that would be another issue. Wood is really strong if you don't get it wet.

I am getting ready to set up my 450 on engineered wood over a concrete slab. I am estimating about 3.5 tons of weight over an 8' x 2.5' space. I think I should be OK since the concrete is 6"+ thick in that area. I poured it myself 7 years ago so I know for sure.

GT
07/20/2006, 12:02 PM
I Sigh of relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you at the next meeting!

T.

clkwrk
07/20/2006, 12:41 PM
I agree with what has been said . Keep an extra box or 2 just in case but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems as long as it is a decent laminate. I have 6 tanks on my laminate floors with the largest being a 200g+ system and my house is on blocks .

BTW if you ever need a repair to your floor let me know . I have been installing for around 7 years now .

GT
07/20/2006, 12:53 PM
clkwrk...Thank You!!!
T.