PDA

View Full Version : North Jersey Fish stores and live sand

heyduard
05/22/2002, 02:14 PM
Howdy folks!

I'm new to this forum and the tank has been running for several weeks now. The stowaways are doing fine. It's a mini reef setup. I've got 22 lbs of LR in a 15 gal. I figured I can add some live sand as well.

What's the going rate for populated sand? And any recommendations for LFS's in North Jersey? I bought my setup from Reef Encounter in Hackensack. By trying another store, I'd like to get some diversity in the little critters dept.

Hey,
Duard

coachgail
05/22/2002, 05:59 PM
Try Absolutely Fish in Clifton. Live sand is something like $3.50 or $4.50 a lb, but nice stuff. The whole store is like that. Nice stock, but pricey. Of course, I should know as I am there all the time.
:rolleyes:

geoffgarcia
05/22/2002, 10:46 PM
actually, I got some live sand from absolutly fish and I'd say stay away from there for LR/LS for nano's. they just don't have much. The animal farm on 23 up by wayne was by far the best place I've been to so far as far as variety and cleanliness. I'm not positive they have LS though. The best LS I got was from Hanover Pet

coachgail
05/23/2002, 09:47 AM
I have to disagree. I got some really nice live rock and live sand form AF and really like it. The live rock is in the office in a dark/unlit tank (have to ask for it), and I got live sand form 12 different tanks.

geoffgarcia
05/23/2002, 10:47 AM
sounds like it depends on who you get to help you:)
I went into the "office" in the back for the LR and they only had huge basketball sized pieces, I asked about LS and initally the guy said no, but then took me over to one of the side fishtanks and gave me a pile of crushed coral/shells.
The stuff in Hanover was closer to Sand.::)

katspaw
05/24/2002, 08:19 AM
I live in the same town as AF. The guys over there are like greg said. It all depends on who you get to help you. I generally stick to Shawn or Todd. I have gotten a good portion of my rock from them, and I have gotten rubble ( I asked for rubble for frags ) I have never noticed sand in their tanks, just crushed coral or bare bottom. I know their fish are healthy, And I have never lost a fish from them. And their corals are on the high side with prices.

Tracey

coachgail
05/24/2002, 10:31 AM
Their "show tank" has sand in it. Yeah, I guess I tend to deal with only one person there cause,well, just because. Corals are pricey, and so are tehir ish, but I have never lost anything I bought from there, though I did see one of my fish get eaten...

reef93
05/24/2002, 10:52 AM
I am tearing down my nano(20gal) tank this weekend. I have 40-50lbs southdown livesand(for 6month). If you interesting just pay me the original cost of southdown(~$5) and it is yours.

heyduard
05/26/2002, 01:16 AM
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Reef93, I'm sorry I didn't see your reply sooner. I had already stopped at Hanover Pet and purchased a couple of pounds of rubble and sand.

So the rubble and sand are in!

Nagel
05/26/2002, 03:42 PM
LFS's in northern NJ:

Absolutely Fish in Clifton - nice pieces, pricey AT TIMES (not all the time) but generally very healthy. Depends on who helps you though.

Hanover Pets on Rt 10 in E. Hanover - geat place, not the biggest selection, but these guys I think have the most conscientious employees around.

Pet Place II on Rt. 23 N in Wayne. Larger fish selection then coral, coral is one tank, inverts are 6, and 30+ or so of fish. It's hit or miss there, sometimes nice piecees, sometimes its lacking.

The one behind burger kin on rt 23 in kinnelon (wont mention name for certain reasons) nothing but bad experiences here. Owner seems to be rather money hungry, selling FOUR wild acro colonies to a person with a 2 month old tank (in no way mature enough for the corals, much less he know she couldnt keep em), and changing prices all the time depending on in-store losses. I tried working with them at first, but lately I;ve been too disgusted to go in there.

Ocean Gallery II in north plainfield. Aiptasia farm last time I was there, but a good selection of corals and fish. Everybody was healthy, but the aips were their downfall.

HTH

coachgail
05/26/2002, 08:10 PM
Well, I have to give it to Hanover pets. I will be taking most of my business there from now on. Anyone who gives $350 in store credit for South and Central American fish I didn't want has got my approval. Go on Weekdays or early in the day on weekends for the best service. Now, I get to go spend that credit....
Gail