PDA

View Full Version : August Meeting

BankerJohn
07/11/2006, 08:06 PM
Saturday August 5 @ 1:00 at my house in Lecanto, FL. Topic for discussion will be Water Chemistry along with any other topic that comes up. We may have a guest speaker, Ernie Olsen, Marine Biologist for Citrus County School Board (Ernie, you just got volunteered :eek2:)

Hopefully I will have a new shipment of corals from www.fragglereef.com that we can look at!!! Depending on size of what is delivered, we may be able to propagate or at least wait until it grows out and then share!

PM for directions and phone number

If you have live sand, please bring a cup to share

If you need macro algae, I should have plenty of chaeto to share.

Keri, I have your sculpture from Steve... my father in law broke it (LOL, this thing is fragile!). I have superglue on the WalMart list and will superglue it on/before you get here.

If you have frags or something to share with another, please bring it. Can someone please bring their test kit to test my water and allow me to compare my kit results to anothers?

Aquarist of the Nature Coast Helping Other Reefers (ANCHOR) - Banker John

PS, what are we eating? Do you want me to cook pulled pork again or do we want finger foods? How about homemade brick oven pizza? I'll need a headcount for food - BYOB (Ted, I should still have some more Costa Rican coffee for you)

reefrubble
07/11/2006, 10:45 PM
I should be there ,if I can find your house again. Do I need to bring anything? ( A cup of sand is out of the question ) Ted

adnup
07/12/2006, 12:11 AM
I wont be able to make this one either....sorry guys

pmike25
07/12/2006, 07:21 AM
I would like to make it and I can bring some of my test kits, I have Salifert kits, Nitrate,Nitrite,PH, Alk, Ammonia.

Is anyone carpooling, please let me know!!!! Lacanto is a road trip for me!!!

reefrubble
07/12/2006, 07:27 AM
If you can make it to Weeki Wachee,you can ride with me. Ted

pmike25
07/12/2006, 07:29 AM
OK I can do that!!! Thank Ted, I can throw in and help you with some petroooo!!!

Plus id like to check your tank out :D

reefrubble
07/12/2006, 07:34 AM
Mike your welcome to come by any time. Send me a PM if you want my phone #. Ted

pmike25
07/12/2006, 07:38 AM
OK I will, I got to head out to work now, Ill PM you when I get back, another loooooong day!!

Steven M
07/12/2006, 07:24 PM
I well be there. John can you pm me the address, lost my printout.

BankerJohn
07/13/2006, 04:28 PM
can someone please bring a camera too?

Steven M
07/13/2006, 07:07 PM
I can bring mine.

dmbedard
07/14/2006, 02:22 PM
I'm gonna need directions too... or an address/phone combo. I am hoping to come without children to this meeting. Since 2 of them will be in Michigan, odds are good!

Steve, I'll bring your pic to this meeting. I couldn't get down to see you over the holiday weekend. I am sooo swamped this summer it is tough.

Looking foward to some reefer madness!

Diane

gatorolsen
07/16/2006, 08:20 PM
I'll check with Earnie - I know he won't mind but that Sat is my b-day and we will prob. have family in town - I'll post a def. yeah or nay once I know our schedule

gatorolsen

Reefer421
07/19/2006, 11:18 AM
John and I would love to attend. Please PM me with phone number and directions. What do I need to to bring? I will bring a cup of sand...is there anything else? We have never attended a meeting yet so if I need to do or bring anything just let me know.

Rebecca

pmike25
07/19/2006, 04:10 PM
I will make it. Ted Can you please PM me with your number and address. And I will make it up to you, so we can car pool. Thanks Ted, this to is my 1st meeting so please let me know if I should bring something.....Mike

BankerJohn
07/19/2006, 09:16 PM
I'm glad to see there is a going to be a decent turn out. What to bring...

I will be providing pulled pork and buns for everyone along with Lemonade and Water.

Please bring a side dish or dessert, enough for 4 people (we don't want tons of left overs, do we?!) .... come hungry

I

BankerJohn
07/19/2006, 09:19 PM
also, if you have something to share and donate to another members tank, please feel free to bring something to give to another... This is nothing formal but for the new folks, this is something we do at each meeting.

If you run a DSB in your tank, consider bringing a cup of sand with live stuff in it to share with another to spread biodiversity.

*** If you feel you have pests or diseases in your tank, please do not share them! ***

BankerJohn
07/21/2006, 07:26 PM
I've been thinking more about a topic for discussion. As an amateur and newbie, I would like to have others bring their test kits, test my water and all have a discussion surrounding water chemistry basics for the novice like me. I will be sharing an easy method for doing water changes.

I have had a few PM's about frag swap. This is a good idea too. Our club was founded on the principle of helping other reefers in our community. One of the ways we help is to diversify our tanks into others tanks just in case there is a dreaded *crash*. I will have plenty of Chaeto and caulerpa to harvest for those who want it.

For food, please consider bringing a small side dish, enough for 2-4 people (yes, small)... I'll have plenty of BBQ and buns (fresh baked from the Ballerina Bakery) along with H2O and Lemonade.

August 5th (Saturday) at 1:00. Food served promptly so bring an appetite and consider this your lunch. We will eat first then have the meeting :)

JeRmZ
07/22/2006, 11:14 AM
unfotunately I don't think I will be able to make this meeting everyone. I had some things come up and won't be able to attend. Sounds like it will be a good time and I will be sure to catch the next one!

BankerJohn
07/27/2006, 08:02 AM
9 more days to RSVP for the fun.

1) Bring your test kits. We will have a discussion on Water Chemistry and perform some actual tests to understand the importance and relationship of results when compared with other tests.

2) BBQ Pulled Pork (Both Carolina & St. Louis style) and Buns, Lemonade and Water provided. Please consider bringining a SMALL side dish for no more than 4 people. ** Come hungry ** - we are eating first then conducting the meeting.

3) FRAG trade/Tank contents (rock, sand, macro, etc) trade. These are always welcome. "Pay it Forward".

Plese make sure you RSVP so enough Pork BBQ and homemade Buns can be prepared. PM for directions and phone number.

Saturday, August 5, 2006
1:00 PM - usually until about 4-5 depending on converations

dmbedard
07/27/2006, 12:42 PM
I need to RSVP for my husband and daughter - total 3 for us. Looking forward to the festivities and concentrating on testing and water quality.

CU Then!

Diane

gatorolsen
07/28/2006, 06:04 PM
Unfort. Earnie and I are a confirmed 'not able to make it' - we will have family in town

everytime I read this thread my mouth starts watering - bad enough missing the good company but the bbq too - waaah

bankerjohn - sorry I haven't been in touch will def. meet up with you sometime to get the branching piece - can't wait to see it - I always have plenty of super glue so no problem if it still needs some glue

Gatorolsen

BankerJohn
07/30/2006, 08:58 PM
To all who are coming, I am looking to add orange & blue ricordia's to my tank. If you have some, please PM me so we can talk off line.

Banker John

dmbedard
08/01/2006, 07:35 AM
Now I can't make it John. Cancel the 3 RSVP for me. I am sorry for the last minute cancel. It's my wedding anniversary and my honey made plans that I was made aware of last night.

Man, I regret missing the pork!!!!

Have fun without me. If we need a place to meet in Sept, I am open for it.

Diane

pmike25
08/01/2006, 07:38 AM
Happy Anniversary Diane and Diane's hubby!!!!! :D

reefrubble
08/02/2006, 03:54 PM
Sorry John,I won't be able to make the meeting. This will be the first time I had to miss one. I hate to miss the BBQ. Pork ,But it can't be helped. I know everyone will have a good time. Ted

pmike25
08/02/2006, 04:13 PM
Ohh boy, hope everything is ok TED, Welp is there anyone else I can carpool with!!!LOL Thanks

BankerJohn
08/02/2006, 05:57 PM
Menu change... we are having Texas style Pulled Beef rather than NC style pulled pork. The change is by special request - sorry for the last minute change.

Ted, you will be sorely missed. Everything OK? - PM me.

robthorn
08/04/2006, 08:34 AM
see ya there thanks for the invite.

BankerJohn
08/04/2006, 05:12 PM
Firing of the BigGreenEgg has commenced. It will take about an hour or so to stabilize the ceramic mass to a temperature of 245 degrees which will be the target cooking temperature for the cook.

Last night, I rubbed a beef brisket flat with yellow mustard after scoring the fat cap, then gave a healthy sprinkling of turbinado sugar and my favorite DizzyPig BBQ spice (www.DizzyPigBBQ.com). The mustard is to make sure a lot of the spice sticks to the meat. After seasoning the meat, I wrapped it in saran wrap and put it back in the fridge for its 24 hour marinade.

Now that the grill is fired and warming, I'll pull the brisket from the fridge to let it come to room temp (this helps with proper formation of the smoke ring).

I know this all seems off topic, but it is all part of the Club meeting for tomorrow... 1:00 lunch is served. Bring your appetite (and your test kits).

Banker John

BankerJohn
08/04/2006, 05:51 PM
The grill is now holding a steady 245. I will now add a second coat of Cow Lick rub :) At 8:00 tonight, I plan on putting the brisket on the grill to begin its long overnight cook.

1:00 tomorrow - don't be late.

robthorn
08/04/2006, 07:05 PM
not a chance
test kits and camera.
do you need green star polyps or xenia?

Steven M
08/04/2006, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7865624#post7865624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pmike25
Ohh boy, hope everything is ok TED, Welp is there anyone else I can carpool with!!!LOL Thanks
You can carpool with me.

pmike25
08/04/2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks Steve but I am going to be going with Rob, Thanks so much for the offer though, Ill see ya there!!!

BankerJohn
08/04/2006, 07:45 PM
I appreciate the offer for GSP and Xenia. Bring them, I am sure someone will enjoy a freebie! If we only all had something to share :)

The brisket just went on... a little smoke from some chunks of mesquite, pecan and hickory nuts. I think this one is gonna be good, as long as the fire holds through the night!

ladyfsu
08/05/2006, 08:15 AM
OH I'm jealous!!!! YUMMY food and free xenia!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7880829#post7880829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BankerJohn
If we only all had something to share :)

Hopefully one of these meetings I go to again I'll be able to donate. We are having 10 acrylic sheets (4' x 10') being donated, and 1 thing we are building is a giant frag tank. ORA is sending us free corals arriving Tuesday and I also ordered some rics and zoanthids, so maybe if we get this going...I can return the generosity you all have showed me!

Have fun! Please post pics and let the rest of us know what we missed!

robthorn
08/05/2006, 08:35 AM
wow I wish I could gt ORA to send me some free corals.

dmbedard
08/05/2006, 08:45 AM
Would it be worth changing careers to teach teenagers about reefkeeping?

ladyfsu
08/05/2006, 08:53 AM
LOL!! It's the only way I could have cool corals. I don't have any of this in my tank at home except some xenia and hariy mushrooms. But I think this is the type of thing kids will love to take care of, and it teaches them so much (chemistry, physical science, environmental science, lots and lots of biology). Can you believe when he was asking me about what corals, I actually told him I didn't think the stony corals would grow fast enough to be able to teach much about propogation so I think he's sending my softies/zoanthids etc. What a fool I am!!

He's also sending 3 clams and several fish! I'll tell you what I get on Tuesday.

robthorn
08/05/2006, 09:20 AM
dmbedard. all I can do is chuckle ;)

lady I don't know the setup you have but I would think he made the right decision sending what he is. hard corals take more time and effort that may or may not be available in a classroom setting. then again it might be the perfect place.

pmike25
08/05/2006, 09:45 AM
Can someone PM me with Johns phone nymber just incase Rob and I get lost !!!:D thanks

Rob have ya left yet???????

ladyfsu
08/05/2006, 10:02 AM
I think I would kill hard corals...that's why I told him not to send them to me......and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Have fun today everyone!!!

BankerJohn
08/05/2006, 10:03 AM
I PM'd both PMike and Robthorn.

Lunch update... the fresh homemade buns will be done about 1:15 so lunch may be a few minutes late (the batch we made this morning forgot to put the yeast in the dough :( )

Remember to bring Test kits and hydrometers/refractometers.

Banker John

pmike25
08/05/2006, 10:34 AM
K I got it, Thanks, Rob is on his way to my place than we will be leaving fom here,,,,,see ya soon......................

Steven M
08/05/2006, 05:21 PM
Had a good time, thanks for hoisting the meeting.

pmike25
08/05/2006, 05:28 PM
Yes thanks again it was pretty good!!!! Thanks for the frags John appericate that!!!! It was nice to me you and your family and also the other couple that was there reefer421 I think was there screen name on here!!!!Steve I already met ya b4 but it was nice seeing you again as well, Steve ya should swing by and check out my tank one day since ya live nearby and one day Id like to check yours out also!!!

robthorn
08/05/2006, 06:23 PM
thanks everyone good to see you all.

hawkeye31657
08/06/2006, 07:36 AM
I am hungry not and I want to come down there but alas I have wood to get this week for the stand and I will be there soon hope to see if I can get there for the next meeting

reefrubble
08/06/2006, 08:10 AM
I think that would be a bit of a drive. Ted

reefrubble
08/06/2006, 08:16 AM
Sorry I was unable to make the meeting. Sounds like everyone had a good time. John ,I know the BBQ was great . Ted

BankerJohn
08/06/2006, 09:07 AM
Ted, we missed you, a LOT! I really wanted you to see some of the coral babies you fragged and are now in my tank under different lights than your halides. ... next time :)

I was somewhat dissapointed with the BBQ this time, Ted. I tried cooking a beef brisket and was not real thrilled with the results. I'm switching back to my trusted Pulled Pork recipe that is a personal pleaser. At least I can say I did try cooking the brisket though

dmbedard
08/06/2006, 09:21 AM
Sorry to have missed the festivities. How did the water testing go?

Hubby and I are happily still married after another anniversary. We had dinner at Benedettos in Land O'Lakes... wow! I recommend it to anyone.

Where's the next meeting?

Reefer421
08/07/2006, 09:41 AM
That you John for having the meeting there. We had a great time. The food was excellant and we can not thank you enough for the frags. They are all doing wonderful. It was a pleasure meeting everyone that could make it and we looking forward to the next meeting.

Diane- Where do you teach? I wish that class was available when I was in school!!

dmbedard
08/07/2006, 09:43 AM
Rebecca,

Lady FSU is the teacher. I was just letting Rob know that there was a good reason that ORA sent her frags.

I believe she teaches Marine Science at Riverview HS in NPR.

Glad you made it to the meeting. Looking forward to meeting you at the next one.

Diane