PDA

View Full Version : auto top-off systems/setups

wiszmaster
07/11/2006, 10:02 AM
Scott & I have been talking about auto top-off setups & systems ... as well as coralfarmer84 was looking into it ...

there are many different setups - and some are better than the others, more costly than others etc ..etc..

one that i found to be interesting is from:

Automated Aquarium Systems(TM)
http://www.automatedaquariums.com/lv_plc.htm

I have my RO/DI system installed, and plan on using it - however not plumbed directly into the system.

....discuss.....

Discus420
07/11/2006, 04:50 PM
auto top off is well worth it. ive always used them and ive had very few problems. if your using your ro unit just splice into it with a quick disconnect tee and run it to a float in your sump. its simple enough that i wouldnt do with out it.

wiszmaster
07/12/2006, 06:45 AM
i'm not willing to run it right into the sump ... too many horror stories about the float swiches sticking with the saltwater - I'd hate to flood my carpet & hardwood floor.

I have NOT yet found any solution that i liked 100% ....

coralfarmer84
07/14/2006, 10:58 AM
yea me too, i haven't looked much into it yet, but all i know is i want it but i'm afraid of the chance of flooding. I've got thousands of dollars worth of coral already, mostly sps and don't want to chance a salinity drop while i'm away or something. I'll just listen to what you guys do, check it in person then order that same one :D

keinreis
07/14/2006, 11:34 AM
I am looking at making my own system. We are launching a new libne of float switches, and bilge pumps. They are 12v, and will run off any small transformer (Like the ones that come with everything you buy. you know the little black adapters we all have 100 extras and have no clue what they are for) I will run the rodi into a holding tank with a hole drilled at the top with a line going to the drain (in case the float switch from the rodi sticks) and from the holding tank the small bilge pump will feed water to the sump (where one of our float switches will be). Our float switches are made for saltwater use, and our lab has done extensive testing as far as durability.

coralfarmer84
07/14/2006, 07:06 PM
sounds good, can't wait to see one in action...

keinreis
07/14/2006, 09:46 PM
I just have to wait till the switches go into production as we only have preproduction samples right now. These are atalyy for boat bilges, but should be excellent for what i want to do.