PDA

View Full Version : Starck's tilefish substrate

piercho
07/05/2006, 02:30 PM
I was hoping you would provide additional information/opinion for keeping Starks' tilefish. My first question is about the substrate consistency. Are these fish using rubble to reinforce burrows through fine sand (less than 1mm), or is the substrate a more heterogeneous gravel (2-5 mm with some bigger shell/coral) such as what is recommended for pearly jawfish? I've tried keeping jawfish in my current tank with "sugar" fine sand and their burrows collapse. For my next tank I was intending to have mostly crushed coral and shell substrate for jawfish and I am curious if Stark's tilefish could burrow through that.

2nd question, the tank I'm setting up will have a 4'X2' bottom, open except for a couple of large clams and several small disk coral. I take it from your compatibility chart that I might be able to keep a pair of Stark's tilefish in the tank with one or more jawfish. Do you think 3 or 4 burrowing fish could share a tank this size?

Last question, I don't think it’s likely that I'll be able to find a pair of Starks. If I were to introduce two juvenile Stark's, would these fish tolerate each other as they mature if they turn out to be the same sex?